Gransnet forums


Postgraduate funding for pensioners?

(5 Posts)
Wordtaster Tue 29-Jan-13 15:56:01

Is there such a thing?

I did my degree many years ago but no I am retired and to be honest, at a bit of a loose end, I rather fancy getting the brain back into gear. The problem of course is stretching my small pension to pay for it hence my question. I have trawled through a few sites but trying to pin down any funding is proving rather difficult.

gracesmum Tue 29-Jan-13 16:00:33

I think I can remember contributing to a thread on this last year -ish. DH was unofficially advised by nice lady at the OU to take out a student loan as being retired and on a pension, he was unlikely to ever be in a position to pay it off. Any use?

Lilygran Tue 29-Jan-13 16:50:01

There used to be restrictions on what you could get, depending on your previous level of education and also on whether you were 'economically active' ie whether you were improving your job prospects. So someone who's already a graduate might get help with a 'vocational' masters or PhD but not with a bachelor level degree, if it's relevant to the job you have or the job you want. And in my experience and that of friends, if you're over retirement age you pay the fees. But most universities now let you pay by instalments.

Nonu Tue 29-Jan-13 17:40:35

I would imagine it is a liitle pricey though .


gracesmum Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:54

Are you talking about a degree with the OU Wordtaster? It has become much more expensive, but whichever route you choose, do apply for a student loan They are not only for first degrees, DH has a BSc (1970!)and was studying for a History BA. Let us know how you get on won't you?