Gransnet forums

Education

Learning Journey from school mis-spelt!

(5 Posts)
Mishap Fri 01-Nov-13 13:49:44

My DGS has come back from school (his first term) clutching a "learning journey" book with photos of him in it at school and comments about what he has been doing - these seem to be all the rage - they bring them home from nursery too.

He has clearly been having a good time and that is wonderful, but there are so many punctuation and spelling errors by the teacher (or TA?) that it was most irritating. Notably, she recorded many conversations with the children and failed to use capital letters at the beginning of items in quote marks. How will DGS learn what is right if he sees things written wrongly by the teacher? Or is this the latest development in written English that has passed me by? There were lots of spelling mistakes too.

shelby75 Fri 01-Nov-13 14:19:58

I remember things like this when my eldest was in primary school, it still happens now occasionally in high school.

Once I had to correct the information given on a maths homework sheet which quoted something along the lines of "Remember! 1Ltr = 1/2 Pint"

Oh dear.

gracesmum Fri 01-Nov-13 15:02:29

Fortunately most of the "misinformation"(genders of nouns, the odd past participle, accents or absence of..) I ever passed on to kids was forgotten as quickly as the correct version!
Why am I admitting any of this now? grin

Mishap Fri 01-Nov-13 15:14:44

I suppose my concern was that it was a consistent error repeated many times so wee GS (who is sharp as a pin and seems to have a photographic memory!) was taking this error in over and over again.

Iam64 Fri 01-Nov-13 16:17:39

Mishap - I know it is always a surprise to see these kind of errors in school books, and I wish better standards of grammar, spelling and punctuation existed, but I did enjoy Gracesmum's comment (very much, tee hee).