Gransnet forums

Education

The government wants better school governors

(9 Posts)
redeagle777 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:24:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BerylBee Tue 14-Jan-14 22:11:26

In a previous life (several centuries ago)
I was the Clerk to the GB, in a number of different Schools.
I was always in absolute awe of my Governors.
Crikey, yes . . .
Volunteers, they were
but they were so committed, and boy, did they put in the hours.

I salute those that I worked with,
and, also
those gransnetters here who are or have been School Governors .
It's such an important job.
The education of the next generation is just so vital!

Mishap Tue 14-Jan-14 21:39:51

I had no idea what I was taking on, but I have the bit between my teeth now and will not let people down. It is a critical time for some small schools as the government does not value them and they are underfunded. Without champions they go under.

I do not agree with many of the things that Ofsted are asking of staff, governors, and indeed children, but I will jump through the hoops to keep this school alive if it is the only way to do it.

I can fully understand why some governors walk away - who can blame them?

coastwallker Tue 14-Jan-14 21:01:46

Me too and although I loved it then, I would hesitate to go in again now.

annodomini Tue 14-Jan-14 17:02:38

I was Chair of governors of a primary school and retired about six years ago. I evidently got out at the right time.

goldengirl Tue 14-Jan-14 16:41:15

I've been a governor and enjoyed it at the time but I wouldn't do it again; it seems to have become like an almost full time job plus additional responsibilities and training requirements

Penstemmon Mon 13-Jan-14 20:02:09

I am a governor too in a small Infant school. There are about 4/12 governors who are pro-active but the others ..well I am not sure why they became governors.

It is a demanding job and I agree that it is a cheap way to do the job..but it is not a new idea! Boards of Governors have been around for years..it is just that now the level of responsibility is enormous!

Mishap Mon 13-Jan-14 19:51:07

Being a school governor is blooming hard work and more and more responsibility is being loaded on them; while LA support services are being decimated, castrated and otherwise rendered impotent.

It is a back door way of getting the donkey work done without having to pay anyone.

I am a school governor and find it very rewarding, if somewhat scary in the current climate. I devote a great deal of time to it - and to training.

But I happen to feel passionately about the importance of small rural schools. It is no good twisting people's arms unless they really feel committed to it. We have had several governors leave because they realised what a huge responsibility it is.

JessM Mon 13-Jan-14 19:30:35

Shortage of governors and the get want better ones - this seems to translate as "we want businesses to encourage their very busy staff to give up time to this for free"
What do we think?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25713820