Gransnet forums

Education

Beyond a head teacher's remit?

(417 Posts)
margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:33:00

It is reported today that a six year old boy has been excluded from school because he took a packet of mini cheddars in his lunch box, which was against the school's healthy eating policy. Is this interference in a pupil's diet too draconian, or is it a good thing that the school should take charge of what children do or do not eat on the premises?

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 13:15:26

The cake, the biscuit or the Kitkat would not be allowed in my DGC's school Ana.

granjura Wed 05-Mar-14 13:18:04

In which case, fair enough- they can have the cake, biscuit or KitKat after school at home or in the park. In grand-childrens' school, it is at discretion- if children eat healthy packed-lunch, above allowed, as long as it is part of basically balanced and healthy packed-lunch- and fair enough.

Riverwalk Wed 05-Mar-14 13:20:06

It's quite ridiculous that cake, biscuits, KitKat, etc are not allowed in lunch boxes - school lunches usually include such items or the near equivalent!

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 13:22:56

The reason they give for "banning" such things in my GC's school is that they think most children would eat the cake or biscuit before they ate anything else. Mine would definitely not as they prefer savoury food anyway.

thatbags Wed 05-Mar-14 13:25:19

School meals have to provide pudding but kitkat etc are not allowed in a lunchbox as, er, pudding. Bonkers.

BTW, what is the difference between a mars bar and a kitkat, really?

Answer: not much

janeainsworth Wed 05-Mar-14 15:14:18

aka if you post a link without any qualifying remarks, it's not unreasonable for the rest of us to assume that you agree with, or support, the ideas contained within it.
granjura I didn't say it was health freakish, complicated or comparable with brain surgery. Please don't twist my words.
I said just that it was unnecessary.
I also think that for many parents it's probably onerous, both in terms of time and financially, to provide that much variety in a lunch.
If children eat a reasonable breakfast and a decent main meal, lunch isn't a big deal.

Aka Wed 05-Mar-14 15:37:18

Jane I posted the link for information only, though having said that I doubt I'd post a link if I thoroughly disagreed with it.

I heard the fact on the news and someone (can't remember who) asked for the link so I obliged.

Do agree though with your final sentence.

granjura Wed 05-Mar-14 16:54:59

Jane I am sorry, but you did seem to think it is overly complicated- and my point is that it is not. I totally agree that if kids have a good breakfast and a good dinner in the evening- lunch is not so important. Sad fact is, that many children do not- and that was the point made.

With a bit of planning, it really does not take much time to put together.
How long does it take to peel a carrot or 2, cut some cucumber and or celery, etc- as well as putting a bit of butter on bread and left over chicken, or ham, or cheese and a lettuce leaf- really?

Mishap Wed 05-Mar-14 17:38:54

....and then hoping that the children do not hurl it over the hedge!!??

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 18:22:52

X5 ? When you are also rushing out to work!

Ana Wed 05-Mar-14 18:28:03

I was thinking that myself, rosequartz...hmm

janeainsworth Wed 05-Mar-14 18:54:10

Aka it's not a fact. It's the result of one survey with questionable methods and parameters.
granjura I did not say anything was complicated. You inferred it.

I used to prepare 3 packed lunches plus my own, before I went out to work. There was no time to fiddle on preparing crudités, even if my children might have eaten them.
They had a sandwich, sometimes with meat and sometimes with marmite, and a small kitkat. They are all perfectly healthy.

granjura Wed 05-Mar-14 19:04:31

Crudités, lol, we are not talking about a posh finger buffet. Peeling a few carrots and putting in clingfilm can be done the day before, and cutting some cucumber in 2 inch chunks and cutting in 4- takes, 3 seconds I suppose.

If parents cannot cut a piece of cucumber or peel a carrot or 2, what chance is there of them cooking a proper meal in the evening???
My mum worked in a responsible job, and had to commute. so she prepared our meal for lunch-time the day before, not sandwiches, a proper meal and dad and us kids re-heated it and added veg or salad (no microwave in the 50s) - as there was no school meals or supervised lunches- and it was the tradition to have main meal at lunch-time. Now that was hard, I must say. My kids had school lunches- and I am so grateful for that. Never ever made a packed lunch- a choice though.

Mishap Wed 05-Mar-14 19:31:36

We used to have a sandwich-making orgy every half term. We would all muster round the table with bread, butter and sandwich fillings of various sorts and we would create enough for everyone for the rest of that half term - then into the freezer they all went. Each person just got one pack out in the morning and it was thawed by lunchtime!

Aka Wed 05-Mar-14 19:45:36

Whatever Jane .. I'm not arguing with you.

Penstemmon Thu 06-Mar-14 16:55:57

Part of the problem is that the 'packed lunch rules' are trying to deal with a minority: parents/carers who cannot (or do not have the resources to) provide healthy breakfast/supper. The governments, of various persuasions, have tried to address this via schools and created pressures for school to police the content of lunch boxes. For a minority this is quite important but for most kids it is not. Sledgehammer/nut (but not in your lunchboxgrin) comes to mind

There is no harm in a jam sandwich and a chocolate biscuit /bar if it is part of a balanced diet overall. However it does only provides sugar /carbs and not protein so kids become quite lively and then crash! Not conducive to the best school learning.

A protein based sandwich & fruit and a yogurt or milk drink is not difficult to prepare. Working parents can manage that! I get tired of hearing about the stresses of parenting vs work. Can't make a packed lunch/ can't help with a bit of homework. We have automatic washing machines, tumble-dryers, easy cook food etc etc nowadays all of which working mums in the 50's /60's did not! grr! (ps I was a working mum!)

It is a shame that good hot school meals appear to be a thing of the past!

Shame too that we are arguing over this when so many kids die of malnutrition in other parts of the world.