Gransnet forums

Education

Tough Young Teachers

(39 Posts)
Mishap Sat 08-Feb-14 23:02:46

Anyone watching this? - it's on BBC 3.

Basically they are following 6 young trainee secondary school teachers, who are on the Teach First programme. They are all graduates and have 6 weeks training before being thrown in at the deep end and learning "on the job."

It has been quite disturbing, because of the lack of support and guidance they are getting, especially in the task of classroom management, some of which is going wrong because they are not being sufficiently clear with their classes and failing to pick up on those who are struggling. But they are also dealing with some problem city schools with pupils who would challenge the most experienced of teachers.

They are pleasant young people, but I am coming to the conclusion that the the scheme is fair neither to the aspiring teachers, nor to their pupils.

I was particularly concerned about the young male teacher who was asked to teach about sex and relationships. (his main subject was maths). He had a very strict religious take on it (which is to be respected) but admitted he knew noting about sex (never having done it) and he had a very narrow view on masturbation and managed to convey a sense of guilt about this to a group of pubertal young pupils. I do think the school should have made sure about what he was going to say and what his views were beforehand, so as to be sure that he might not set up guilt in young impressionable people. He did, to be fair to him, have the sense to ask one of the female trainee teachers to talk to the girls about periods - but it should not have been left to him to find his own way of covering this. He should have had proper guidance and assistance, and been able to talk beforehand about what the school's sex education policy is.

Mishap Fri 21-Feb-14 15:28:45

Gosh that sounds grim. Teaching is such an important and challenging profession that I think trainees should gt all the support and encouragement that can be mustered.

TAB12 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:38:59

I totally agree with you Mishap it is quite frightening to see first hand what a mess our Education system is.

FlicketyB Fri 04-Apr-14 09:28:24

DM & DMiL were both untrained teachers. Both were considered to be outstanding teachers by school inspectors, Head Teachers and in MiL's case, the local teachers training college, who always specified that trainee teachers in her school should spend some time with her.

I am not advocating a return to untrained teachers, but I think there is far too much emphasis on training making good teachers, it doesn't, it may make teachers better teachers, but I think all of us have had experience of teachers whose academic qualifications and knowledge are superb but whose teaching abilities, despite training are really poor.

Iam64 Fri 04-Apr-14 09:38:09

That's something the courses should be picking up FlicketyB. My social work training course over 30 years ago had 50 students, two of that group were failed. Their academic work was good, they failed their practice placements. Some teachers/social workers have excellent academic skills, but lack what are sometimes called soft people skills. "Soft", says so much about our value systems doesn't it

Mishap Fri 04-Apr-14 10:21:27

I think that what the teacher trainees need help with is crowd control in the current climate. And strategies to encourage learning. One of the biggest eye-openers for these keen youngsters was that most of the children in the classes we were shown were not interested in learning anything.

durhamjen Mon 05-May-14 12:54:08

www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/05/maths-physics-teachers-george-osborne-school

Anyone else read this? Osborne's idea this time, not Gove's.

Mishap Mon 05-May-14 14:01:59

Unfortunately in-depth knowledge of a subject and high intelligence do not mean that you can teach well.

FlicketyB Mon 05-May-14 14:24:37

I have met this,but mainly at university. My law lecturer in my first year at Uni had every academic qualification, accreditation possible, he was recognised as pre-eminent in his field but by the time I knew him, the only exam course he still taught was in the Economics Department. After a major catastrophe in my year, when most of us failed because so many of the questions on the exam paper referred to topics that he had never managed to cover in his teaching, he was relegated to only teaching 'law for engineers' (a non-exam course).

I had a similar lecturer on another course some years later. Fortunately his subject formed only part of an exam paper so I just avoided his section.

seasider Mon 05-May-14 20:46:27

Are these the same teachers who will now have holidays spread throughout the year so they do not get too tired!

Tegan Mon 05-May-14 21:26:43

I think the change in holidays is supposed to be for the benefit of the pupils. Anyone who knocks teachers should be made to spend a week in an inner city school imo.

seasider Tue 06-May-14 07:35:18

In each news bulletin I have heard they have said that the changes will benefit teachers as they will be less tired and stressed. I do think there are some good teachers. I also feel for parents with children in two or three different schools trying to work and cover three sets of different holidays and no chance of holidays together unless they pay fines! The whole idea is ridiculousangry

Bez Tue 06-May-14 07:49:50

Here in France the holidays are staggered and there are three lots of holiday dates - they are done by area and therefore all the children in a family should be on holiday a the same time.

J52 Tue 06-May-14 08:15:11

Well said Tegan! I now wonder how many students that I taught over the years, had weapons concealed about them! I reflect back on several difficult encounters with teenage students and thank goodness that I have retired, I would not like to be starting out again. Those who face all sorts of daily challenges at the chalk face deserve respect. X