Gransnet forums

Education

Homework for 5 year olds - a good idea?

(249 Posts)
rosequartz Thu 27-Feb-14 20:27:29

Is homework in Foundation Phase a good idea? I ask because DGD1 (age 5) has had homework over the half-term week, although the letter that came home did suggest not making it an arduous task. Two of the pieces involved visits to POI, which were not strictly necessary but helpful and something we would probably have done anyway.
I realise reading, both listening to them and reading to them, is excellent but I don't remember having any homework at all until I was at High School.

gillybob Fri 28-Feb-14 09:12:44

This is a perfect example of one of my DGD's pet projects ninathenana she/we don't see it as "work" at all. It's pure fun. Collecting shells, sea glass, unusual stones, taking photographs and drawing the lighthouse. Then putting them altogether in her scrapbook and special box with a little write up to go with it. smile

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 10:06:56

Is that for school, gillybob, or something she is doing for fun (and learning at the same time) which is different than homework sent home from school for the holidays. They did say don't make it an arduous task and it wasn't, but it is still added pressure for parents unless there is someone else who can help.

gillybob Fri 28-Feb-14 10:32:11

No it wasn't for school rosequartz it was purely for fun. Although she was delighted to take it in to school to show her teacher and earned a precious house point for her hard work!

henetha Fri 28-Feb-14 10:39:34

Homework for five year olds is a terrible idea; leave them alone!
Personally I don't approve of homework for children of any age.
Better to extend the school day by an hour and let them do it then.

Mishap Fri 28-Feb-14 10:51:08

Exactly Dragonfly!

janerowena Fri 28-Feb-14 12:21:30

Mine have both had homework from a very young age, and I found that it paid off when they were older. They were so used to getting homework that they just got on with it, I didn't have any of the fights about it that other parents did. I think half the problem is training the parents to slot it into their routine. But as my daughter was used to it, now that her 5 yr-old has it she thinks nothing of it. At 5 it's usually just reading with maybe a few spellings at the end of the week. I think it's rather nice, to snuggle up with a small child on the sofa and help them to read.

Mishap Fri 28-Feb-14 12:28:24

I don't think schools should be "training the parents"! What goes on at home is none of their business, unless they suspect child abuse.

janerowena Fri 28-Feb-14 12:55:13

They want to involve the parents and get them to be supportive, to help their children do well, that's all. It's becoming harder and harder to compete against workers from other countries. Our children need either parental help or a longer school day.

janerowena Fri 28-Feb-14 13:04:44

PS Not saying it SHOULD be that way, but that's lie now. Heaven knows I would have preferred not to have to bother at times. I do believe in todays' extremely competitive jobs arena that every edge you have is a good thing.

My OH has to run evening classes for parents now on how to understand their children's homework, through popular demand. I know he'd rather not bother, he has more than enough homework of his own to cope with.

janerowena Fri 28-Feb-14 13:05:09

Life, not lie!

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 13:08:04

The reading is fine and DIL and DS slot that in daily, reading to both and listening to the older one, and we also had story time yesterday when they were here. I'm not saying DGD1 didn't enjoy doing the work and she may well have drawn pictures of the places we had been to this week anyway for fun ( or may not as the case may be). I just thought 4/5 pieces of 'work' to complete if possible (I emphasise if possible) puts pressure on the parents and makes the children anxious if it is not done. Some of the children do get anxious about it which is putting too much pressure on 5 year olds. If they are unable to do it they are going to feel upset when some others take in their completed work and they have nothing to show.

seaspirit Fri 28-Feb-14 13:13:51

think home schooling is the best way of teaching the children, the teachers these days are not allowed to teach, and that way you can also regulate the children's friends so they don't turn into ignorant delinquents. I learned much more in the school holidays then at school, and my two eldest had a lot of home schooling in the holidays, unfortunately my three older children were only school taught and you can soooo tell the difference

Charleygirl Fri 28-Feb-14 13:19:54

rosequartz your DGCs have an excellent chance as they are very fortunate to have very caring grandparents who help out when the parents are working. As stated not all of the children are in this enviable position. I still think that projects put a strain on parents or grandparents because they want their DGC to do well but not for them to do the entire project.

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 13:21:55

I agree with a longer school day for 11+, I am amazed at how early they come out of the local senior schools. I remember being in school until 4pm, having started at the same time as they do now, then having 2-3 hours homework, but don't remember any in primary school.
And should a child's school marks depend on how well the parents have 'helped' with projects?
The emphasis seemed to change from school based projects when DD1 and DS were doing them in top juniors to expecting a lot of parental input when DD2 was doing hers (6 years younger).
I don't think parents should have to be 'trained'. Teachers should be trained and pupils taught. Parents can help and encourage.

Greenfinch Fri 28-Feb-14 13:25:35

I would like to speak in defence of teachers. The ones at my grandchildren's school are caring,supportive and inspire the children. They are extremely conscientious and I am sure they would rather not give homework. When they do,they always follow it up and ensure that it is done. Only last week we had a note home saying that the majority of children were not learning their spellings and how important it was for them to do so.

Greenfinch Fri 28-Feb-14 13:29:15

Surely the whole point of a project is that the child should work on their own. The ideas and the research should come from them.

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 13:31:01

I never 'chose' my children' friends for them and I don't think they have turned into ignorant delinquents! despite anxious moments when they were teenagers. I like my children's friends and am very fond of some of them; those we weren't keen on we always tried to be nice to and they usually disappeared off the scene. People have to get along with all sorts in adult life and work out for themselves how to best do that.

Yes, charleygirl they have another granny who lives closer and is an excellent support. It all seems so much more pressurised these days.

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 14:47:09

Yes, greenfinch, that should be the case that it should be all their own ideas and research, but quite often is not. That is another reason why 5 is too young for projects to be done at home. Although DGD decided what was going into the project, decided on the theme for her drawing for another task and drew it, she still needed help - hopefully the sort of help a teacher would give, but parents would not necessarily have time for and certainly a childminder or other carer may not.

I am not criticising teachers in the slightest. Reading at home, learning spellings, help with homework for older children is fine and what caring parents would do.
You say most teachers would rather not give homework, which is what I was asking earlier - is it government or school policy? Would it be better to have an extra hour on the school day for older children, so that they could do supervised homework? Or not?

Greenfinch Fri 28-Feb-14 15:27:16

I don't know but I would imagine it is government policy as all schools in the state system seem to do it.

rockgran Fri 28-Feb-14 15:47:46

I agree with Dragonfly1 - I was a primary teacher and was always concerned at the lack of time modern youngsters have to just "be". Often the best learning comes from having time to dream. I think there is too much emphasis on structuring their every moment. The trouble with homework is that the children who don't really need it will do it and those who really need extra help from parents probably still won't get it.

rosequartz Fri 28-Feb-14 16:23:31

That is so true Rockgran.

Penstemmon Fri 28-Feb-14 16:45:56

As one of the retired teachers/headteachers on here can I say YES there are loads of parents who want little children to have homework and formal learning..I have met them! Almost equal in number to the parents who do not want any homework and would rather their children were not at school at all!! I've met them too!
Thankfully most sensible parents are somewhere in between!

Homework is often a no win situation for schools because of these polarised opinions!

Homework is a school policy and OFSTED judge it only so far as it supports children's progress.

I would say that a good school would suggest that the youngest children enjoy a daily story at home with a family member and play some board / card games etc at the weekend to reinforce other basic concepts as well as spending time talking and playing together for 20 minutes each day. That might include colouring, drawing writing or researching or kicking a football about..but it should be what the child wants to do!

My DGS in Y1 has a WonderBook and there is a weekly task (in addition to reading) that they can do if they have time. The funniest one recently was asking the children to create a representation of a horse (linked to Chinese New Year). It clearly stated it could be a drawing or a model made from anything the childwanted to use. You would not believe the effort some parents went to! Teachers are not stupid..they know when parents are doing it instead of the kids!! They are not impressed!

There is also a website for kids to access where teachers put games and exercises that children can do that are connected to the work in school.

Penstemmon Fri 28-Feb-14 16:54:51

Sorry to go on but... parents need to find time to spend with their children! 30 minutes a day sitting down with your kids and talking through a homework task should not be onerous. School is part of a child's daily experience (up to 7 hours) so as a parent I wanted to share some of that time and show an interest in their learning. We also did our own family stuff too & I was working mum. It is not impossible but I did not go to the gym, salon etc that I have heard some current mums complain about not being able to do because they have to help with homework..priorities!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Feb-14 16:59:05

Yes. I agree. I don't think all teaching should be left to the teacher. Parents should play a role too. And homework gives parents an idea of how a child is coping with his/her schoolwork.

rosesarered Fri 28-Feb-14 17:14:03

A few different opinions here. I think 5/6/7 too young for homework with the exception of the reading book [think Janet and John etc.] I think 3 -30 should be hometime and for senior school 4.30, the school day is very short.