Gransnet forums

Education

Exam boards removing evolution quastions to suit faith schools

(16 Posts)
Mishap Sun 02-Mar-14 13:23:18

Yes - this really does seem to be happening according to the Sunday papers. Sigh.

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Mar-14 14:25:56

Really?

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Mar-14 14:27:22

I don't read the Sunday papers - or any Nationals. I always end up getting too annoyed.

Mishap Sun 02-Mar-14 14:54:01

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1381959.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_03_01

Try this link.

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 14:54:46

This is just appalling. I am so glad faith schools do not exist here I have to say.

Now I know this may upset some people- but as long as CofE and Catholics keep their faith schools- it is not possible to prevent others from opening- and dividing our children even further. Tragic.

Mishap Sun 02-Mar-14 15:04:16

Faith schools of whatever persuasion should have no place in the education system - I know many Christians who share that view. The actions of the exam boards make it all the more important that this issue is addressed.

This is what comes of letting go of education to private organisations. We open the door to cranks and nutters influencing our children. Sorry to be so blunt.

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 15:16:05

Totally agree Mishap.

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Mar-14 17:14:36

Could only read a bit of the article without subscription, but that was enough - I'm annoyed!

Around here an awful lot of the local village primary schools are CoE. In fact all my four DGC are or will attend church schools. It's either that or have children with no friends in the community, which defeats the object of living in a village. I wonder what the proportion of church state aided to church schools is at primary level.

All my children are agnostic or atheist so I foresee some interesting discussions!

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 18:14:30

Unlike many of our friends and neighbours, we chose to send out girls to the local village school- within walking distance. I had no idea that the Anglican Church, and the elderly and very formal Vicar, would have such an inlfuence on the day to day running of the school, and what and how it was taught- bordering on indoctrination. I could not believe this was possible. Had we wanted to opt out, we would have had to take them away from their friends and drive them to a City school, as all the local village schools were also CofE, or send them to a private school, again a long way from home- so mcuh for choice.

Religion and education should be totally separate. If we do not want Creationist, Madras, etc, schools- it is time to give up CofE and Catholic schools too. People often talk about choice- but in reality that does not really exist. The small town were I taught in central UK had 3 secondary schools- 1 Catholic and 1 private Grammar school - and then our Comprehensive. How can a school be 'Comprehensive' when creamed by 2 selective schools, 1 of which fee paying.

Joelsnan Sun 02-Mar-14 19:05:28

hurryupharry.org/2014/03/02/religion-in-schools-exam-question-redaction-and-operation-trojan-horse/

Who thought that the Free school/academy would be a good ideahmm

GillT57 Mon 03-Mar-14 11:27:47

One of the biggest funders of 'free schools' in the North East ( I believe) is Vardy. he is a fundamentalist Christian. My children went to the village school which is C of E but not too much indoctrination thankfully. We felt that although we were non believers ourselves, we should give the children their own chance to make their minds up. Luckily we didn't have any creationist nonsense as the head and the governors had the right balanced approach.

ginny Tue 04-Mar-14 08:41:33

Last night was parents evening at my 11 year old DGSs school. The teacher told his Mum (my DD) that he had been interested in the different religions of his class mates.. When asked what religion he was he replied. 'I haven't made up my mind yet and I might not be any but I try to be good and kind.' Good boy !

annodomini Tue 04-Mar-14 08:58:30

Sounds just like my 11-year-old GD, ginny - a dyed-in-thewool sceptic if ever there was one.

MiceElf Tue 04-Mar-14 09:19:45

I couldn't access the ST article as it's hidden behind a pay wall and I'm not prepared to put any money into any Murdoch trainted organisation. I'd like to see the evidence, because if it is true, then it's disgraceful.

But - exam boards are businesses. They need customers. And if 'Free Schools' and others are able to exert pressure on exam boards, then this sort of consequence is not surprising.

If ever there was a case for a professionally led, independently monitored, non profit making exam board, this is it.

Mishap Tue 04-Mar-14 09:58:45

Indeed MiceElf - there is definitely a need for properly-constituted independent exam boards. The profit motive has no place in this equation.

granjura Tue 04-Mar-14 10:43:25

Exam boards should not be private- and the same for all.

I once taught with a Head of Dpt who was on one of the 0'Level boards. He could not speak French at all, but always got excellent results, and I did wonder why (I was new in the school). Lo and behold, 2 weeks before the exam, he gives me a list of vocab and structures I should urgently teach the kids in my classes.... guess what?

He of course ended up teaching in a private school- as the inspectorate found him out (and the fact he could not effectively speak either French nor German, which is both taught).