Gransnet forums

Education

What would you put in the curriculum?

(70 Posts)
Penstemmon Mon 14-Apr-14 19:12:17

Do you think that the time has gone when students need to learn much more than basic skills and how to use the internet? Do we need to support and challenge intellectual thinking anymore?

In the past education was felt to be important for its own sake. Students studied classical art, 'great' literature, astronomy, religion, sciences etc etc. Over time it seems that what we expect young people to know about and understand via school/ college/uni is different. Does that matter at all? The world is a different place now so maybe as long as the future generations have the skills to access information they don't need to to know about literature, art, history etc? After all we need people to be fit for the work place not to talk about Jane Austen, Chaucer or know what king ruled at what time!

Accepting that we want all kids to be able to read and write and be numerate what else would you put in a curriculum?

Ariadne Thu 17-Apr-14 11:18:32

Same as me, anno, though I gave up Classics after "A" Levels. Thank goodness - enjoyed English so much more. But you had to have "A" Level Latin to get on to an English Degree course way back then.

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 14:23:20

mcem - my careers advice at school was abysmal. It consisted of an interview between my motherand me, a senior mistress and a careers adviser. The interview went thus: "Do you want to go to University?"
Me: "Yes". "Do you want to teach?". Me: "No, um, I'm not sure what I want to do exactly". Careers adviser: "Do NOT waste a place at University if you do not want to teach". End of interview, there's the door.

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 14:43:58

Sorry, in my book A Levels in The Classics is better than an 'ology'

Penstemmon Thu 17-Apr-14 14:57:16

Aka why??? Do you mistakenly think it is always easier to get a degree in one subject rather than another? I think it is that type of 'educational snobbery' that causes us to have such a problematic education system. Instead of accepting that people have equal but different aptitudes, as a society, we appear to value a narrow academic ability over broader or practical ability.
We all want practical and efficient engineers, plumbers, electricians etc. but we do not really value them which turns 'supply & demand' on its head. A person with a classics first may contribute equally to society but is not really any more valuable. They may struggle to get an electricians Level City & Guilds diploma or part P . Different but not necessarily better!

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 15:35:12

Quite right, Penstemmon.

I used to wish DS had trained as a plumber, as one of his friends did. However, it was not for him.

goldengirl Thu 17-Apr-14 18:09:10

It's a shame that practical subjects like plumbing etc are often considered less worthy than supposedly academic ones. We all depend on practical people in one way or another. You don't call someone with a Latin degree when you have a leak!

Penstemmon Thu 17-Apr-14 18:29:30

goldengirl grin

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Apr-14 18:41:20

I fully agree with Greatfulgran54 and Mishap about schooling for those with severe learning difficulties. As much language tuition as possible, whether it is Makaton, speech or whatever, and life and self care skills to what ever level can be achieved. Obviously the range of the curriculum should depend on the greatest needs of the pupils.

Can anyone tell me if the "special schools" (i.e severe learning disabilities) school performance league table results are included in the overall school performance data?
That would make no real sense to me, although the percentage of this group of children might not be enough to make a particularly great statistical difference.

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Apr-14 18:57:48

aka What particular "ologys" did you have in mind. I cannot agree that classics is any more important that any ology.

All an Ology means is "The scientific study of a particular subject:"

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/ology_2

Granniepam Thu 17-Apr-14 19:18:57

Aka I've just been reading "Testament of Youth" and was very grateful for the classics (and modern foreign languages) part of my own education - in other words I didn't need to look up the meaning of quotations. They certainly added to my appreciation of the book. As with the other aspects of what I was taught/ have learnt, I look on Classics as a part of what I need to enjoy life to the full. Each subject or skill becomes dominant in importance when it is required! smile

annodomini Thu 17-Apr-14 19:28:22

Philology, etymology, archaeology, theology... all studies in which a background in the Classics is useful. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were, somewhere, a plumber/electrician/gardener with a classical education!

Granniepam Thu 17-Apr-14 19:40:06

Plumber from plumbum -Latin for lead, Greek alphabet used for symbols in electicity (omega for resistance etc.), binomial names for plants........ wink

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 20:06:27

Me too, Granniepam, but I don't care if DS's plumber friend studied the classics (although I think his wife did), just that he knows how to re-design my en-suite and re-plumb without a leak - or his workers do.

And he is very well off indeed compared to some of his peer group.

GadaboutGran Thu 17-Apr-14 20:10:11

I bet a plumber with a training in Latin would have a logical grasp of any problem & be able to work it out. S/he would have no problem in understanding trade manuals either.

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 20:22:04

I will ask him!

GadaboutGran Thu 17-Apr-14 20:23:34

I wonder how long before all children have a programme of learning geared to their needs & interest. I believe there is some guy who runs such a school in New York with heavy dependence on computers & who offers it worldwide.

What kids are really going to need in the future is how to deal with rapid change & managing floods of data, plus very open minds to deal with the globalisation of everything.

Re earlier comments on Design, I'm not sure James Dyson would agree. Nor would my GD (6) who wishes she could do it all day long at school - but that's where the individualisation of learning would be useful.

Another random thought - subjects such as Business Studies, Sociology & Psychology are very popular but I sometimes wonder if they are best done later after a good grounding in core subjects. But with ever expanding knowledge & info, I don't envy anyone making decisions about all of this.

Granniepam Thu 17-Apr-14 20:30:25

I so agree GadaboutGran a good grounding has to come first.

JessM Fri 18-Apr-14 07:34:47

These days aka academics have to prove that they are having an "impact" in order to get funding. if they can't do this their careers are dead in the water. Generally I am in favour of a more pragmatic approach to higher education. The Germans, (who were possibly less mired in an historical/class obsession with the classics) put far more emphasis onto high quality technical education post-18 and their economy bears tribute to this strategy.

Aka Fri 18-Apr-14 07:44:53

Good heavens...does nobody have a sense of fun anymore?

I was referring to the Maureen Lipman advert

No wonder discussions turn bitter when some people as so up themselves literal.

wanders off singing 'always look on the bright side of life, ta dum...