Gransnet forums

Education

SPELLING

(38 Posts)
sparkygran Wed 07-May-14 17:57:54

I have always prided myself on being a very good speller English language and literature have always thought of myself as proficient but recently I have had to resort to dictionary (can`t remember how to use Spellcheck) and tonight I`m cross with myself that I couldn`t spell "idiosyncrasy" had wanted to use "phenomenon" but same result. Am I alone in finding my spelling is not what it used to be???????????????????

Ana Thu 08-May-14 19:49:27

Watch out on those stairs this evening, Lona! grin

Lona Thu 08-May-14 19:32:40

Why don't you buy them online sparky?
Mine went about 2.30pm! grin

sparkygran Thu 08-May-14 18:15:23

I am so embarrassed how could I manage to post 5 times - have absolutely no idea. Anyway on the subject of bras I must say a great hurrah that BRAVISIMO has finally arrived in Belfast. Have spent last 5 years buying bras in USA when visiting adorable youngest son but now DH has had a stroke and DS has moved to California it will not be easy for me to continue my lately lost lifestyle! Poor me well maybe not well done Bravisimo for coming to me. Have already cast aside bra for the night

Lona Thu 08-May-14 13:59:41

POGS grin

Ana If only there was someone to trip wink

POGS Thu 08-May-14 13:51:43

Lona

Me too. It is said you can hear the 'thud' for a radius of 2 miles. grin

Ana Thu 08-May-14 13:41:07

That could be a tripping hazard, Lona! shock

Imagine explaining that one away at A&E...grin

Lona Thu 08-May-14 13:31:25

My 'bra-o-clock' has become a joke among friends and family. It's when I sit on the sofa in the afternoon and remove said bra via the sleeves of my top, and then chuck it on the stairs!

Dead classy me! wink

Ana Thu 08-May-14 12:38:56

Well, I can see that you'd go there to check the final effect, but...

I usually sit on the bed to put my bra on.

POGS Thu 08-May-14 12:34:44

Yes. confused

It's where my long mirror is and I have never thought of moving it. Getting rid of it, yes [Grin]

Ana Thu 08-May-14 11:07:55

Do you normally get dressed on the landing, POGS? grin

POGS Thu 08-May-14 10:56:41

Sparkygran

I thought it was just me. blush

I have just typed souldier in a post and my spell checker typed soldier.

I never remember village, knowledge, hypocrisy, necessary etc.

Mind you I stood on the landing a couple of weeks ago and couldn't remember how to fasten my bra, very weird feeling. grin

Nonu Thu 08-May-14 10:24:47

Phew Sparky, after 5 postings I also am glad you got it sorted !

<wipes brow>

Chuckle

Nonu Thu 08-May-14 10:22:29

Find my spelling goes a bit HEYWIRE these days !!

grin

sparkygran Thu 08-May-14 09:28:17

Phew glad I got that sorted out. Ana I like your theory and feel there is probably some truth there. Rockgran you are right about me caring but perhaps methinks I care too much!!!!

Phew glad I got that sorted out. Ana I like your theory and feel there is probably some truth there. Rockgran you are right about me caring but perhaps methinks I care too much!!!!

feetlebaum Thu 08-May-14 08:49:12

He obviously for-got that that 'got' does exist, while I had for-gotten that we don't say 'gotten' in Britain, as they do in the USA...

Gotta go now...

NfkDumpling Thu 08-May-14 08:36:55

That's a good article Rockgran. Brought back school days. I could almost hear my old English teacher screaming "There's no such word as 'got'"! (Used a lot in 'Norfick')

NfkDumpling Thu 08-May-14 08:33:45

Day - not dat!

NfkDumpling Thu 08-May-14 08:33:24

Station Arry spends all dat leaning on his broom.

rosequartz Wed 07-May-14 23:40:11

I seem to have lost the ability to write words correctly, perhaps because I type mostly nowadays. Having messed up a couple of greetings cards by writing words such as 'congratulations' or people's names incorrectly I find I write quite carefully and slowly now, although I used to be a fast scribbler! They are too expensive to waste.

Hope your hemmerhoyds are shrinking, WhenIwasyourage! grin

Lona Wed 07-May-14 23:04:01

Phew! Glad that one's sorted grin

annodomini Wed 07-May-14 23:00:56

A stationEr sells stationEry.