Gransnet forums

Education

UK education ranked second in Europe

(6 Posts)
Mamie Fri 09-May-14 18:39:45

Also, I wouldn't particularly see it as the role of unions to comment.
I think it would be nice to see some comment from the DfE, the Secretary of State, the Schools' Minister and the rest of the press, who are so quick to report anything negative.

Mamie Fri 09-May-14 18:25:08

SATs and the run up to GCSE / A levels, POGS.
Teachers have no time to comment on anything!

POGS Fri 09-May-14 17:57:32

Whatever the reason it's good news.

I am amazed so little has been commentated on this matter by the Teacher's Unions??

Mamie Fri 09-May-14 17:55:42

Yes that is true; also Timss and Piris are more closely aligned with the cultural norms of the UK. I gather that the next Pisa will include problem solving which again will be more in tune with the strengths of the UK education system.
Interestingly there is a lot of comment around about how some countries are teaching to the Pisa test, which rather seems to defeat the object.

HollyDaze Fri 09-May-14 17:06:19

Maybe the Pisa test didn't include higher education as the article you linked does say 'The rankings include higher education as well as international school tests - which boosted the UK's position.'

There's also a comment from Technorati further down in the comments that seems to say the same thing.

Mamie Fri 09-May-14 07:37:47

www.bbc.com/news/business-27314075
Funnily enough this good news story didn't get reported very widely.
When you consider all the widespread reporting of the Pisa tests as indicative of the terrible state of UK education (even though the schools were actually at the mid-point of the tables), you have to wonder if people prefer to criticise than praise.