Gransnet forums

Education

Crass teacher

(40 Posts)
Mishap Thu 15-May-14 09:47:59

I have just heard of a primary school in the south of England where a teacher sent out to all parents a photocopied line drawing of buddha for buddhism awareness day. There was to be a competition and the children had to "dress the buddha as a famous person"!!!!! Unbelievable! Can you imagine sending out a picture of Jesus and doing the same thing?! Buddha dressed as David Beckham, or with a Hitler moustache!!!! What can he have been thinking of!? Head teacher got wind of it and scotched it, but not before lots of parents had put their oar in. I am glad that none of my GC will be taught by this person!

Elegran Fri 16-May-14 21:47:29

Getting to B&Q on two buses is bad enough. Getting home on two buses carrying paint, brush cleaner, tile grout and sealant, masking tape (I use a lot of that when decorating) new letterbox and a dozen AA batteries makes you sympathise with pack horses.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-May-14 21:50:07

you can get it from Amazon

Lilygran Fri 16-May-14 22:21:55

I don't think the 'Buddhas' with big bellies are intended to represent Siddhartha. But what was the teacher thinking? What were they supposed to learn from the exercise?

rosequartz Fri 16-May-14 22:22:15

I am laughing at how this thread has wandered away from the OP. Hilarious!

You could make your own Buddha statue from that lot, Elegran, complete with subtle lighting.

grin

janerowena Sat 17-May-14 00:11:33

I'm afraid I couldn't find one that wasn't already dressed.

www.indiamart.com/stjosephs-art-industries/plaster-of-paris-statues.html

But I'm sure Jesus would look far more tasteful in nice chalk paint colours and finishes.

Elegran Sat 17-May-14 09:12:56

Where would I put the letterbox, Rose?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-May-14 09:29:14

Actually, that's a good idea - adding a bit of calcium to some emulsion paint. DH is out today. I could give it a go. On his shed.

Perhaps I could grind up some Tums.

Elegran Sat 17-May-14 09:34:49

Two parts matt emulsion to one part calcium carbonate/ground chalk (or of plaster of paris) Stir very well.

Elegran Sat 17-May-14 09:40:51

This is not getting the top coat of gloss onto the front door.

Elegran Sat 17-May-14 09:41:59

Ah - the letterbox could give access to the batteries for the subtle lighting!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-May-14 09:43:32

My front door is made of metal. And glass. In fact the whole of the front porch is. (the rest of the house is made of bricks)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-May-14 09:44:11

It's better than plastic! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-May-14 09:44:21

just.

Elegran Sat 17-May-14 10:35:03

My front door is wood, with a round stained-glass window, 1935ish. There is a tiny vestibule, so small you have to open the inner door so as to have somewhere to stand to close the outer, so it is not much use as an airlock. I have just had an enclosed outer porch put on (PVC and glass)

I then realised that the paint on the outside of the front door had not been done for about 15 years, and was looking very weary (not seen when you are nipping in and out of it, but obvious when you stand still to admire the new porch) which then meant that the inside and the vestibule had to be done too.