Gransnet forums

Education

This is what 'Education' is all about

(346 Posts)
Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 14:12:42

A primary school sent out this letter with its end of KS2 SATS

Here is the full text of the letter:

"Please find enclosed your end of KS2 test results. We are very proud of you as you demonstrated huge amounts of commitment and tried your very best during this tricky week.

"However, we are concerned that these tests do not always assess all of what it is that make each of you special and unique. The people who create these tests and score them do not know each of you– the way your teachers do, the way I hope to, and certainly not the way your families do.

"They do not know that many of you speak two languages. They do not know that you can play a musical instrument or that you can dance or paint a picture. They do not know that your friends count on you to be there for them or that your laughter can brighten the dreariest day.

"They do not know that you write poetry or songs, play or participate in sports, wonder about the future, or that sometimes you take care of your little brother or sister after school. They do not know that you have travelled to a really neat place or that you know how to tell a great story or that you really love spending time with special family members and friends.

"They do not know that you can be trustworthy, kind or thoughtful, and that you try, every day, to be your very best… the scores you get will tell you something, but they will not tell you everything.

"So enjoy your results and be very proud of these but remember there are many ways of being smart."

HOPE GOVE READS IT AND CHOKES

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 14:19:58

My daughter emailed me this letter this morning. She is horrified! grin The kids at her (secondary) school are already pampered, self obsessed, and think that the world owes them a great deal more than it actually does.

I think it is fine - for a primary school. But I wouldn't want the idea to spread to secondary schools.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 14:21:07

I think it could rather be "letting off" the kids who didn't bother to put the effort in.

whenim64 Wed 16-Jul-14 14:27:53

I think it's a great letter. Apparently, it's copied from one sent out to some kids in an American school, hence the 'neat' word referring to places they might go, but nevertheless a smashing idea to send out to the children. It says a lot about how good teachers tick.

Stansgran Wed 16-Jul-14 14:28:47

It must be from the US as surely neat is not used like that here yet.

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 14:56:28

Yes, my GS uses 'neat' and 'cool'

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 15:01:14

This letter says there is more to 'education' than that measured by SATs in a limited range of core subjects. If that is a 'horrific' thought then I despair.

Nonnie Wed 16-Jul-14 15:43:29

What kind of school simply copies from an American school? Were the teachers not able to write their own?

Mishap Wed 16-Jul-14 15:51:44

Some children (and teachers!) get in a mighty fret about SATs, and anything that puts that in some kind of perspective gets my vote.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 15:55:36

Yes. God help the kids if we expect them to put bit of effort in and actually do some work. hmm

#nationofspoiltbrats

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 15:57:14

Should have guessed it was from America.

janerowena Wed 16-Jul-14 16:02:17

However I was at teacher's farewell dinner last night, and those were the exact sentiments expressed by all the teachers there. They understand that testing is necessary in order to enable keeping the country solvent, in such a competitive age, but wish it weren't so.

Ana Wed 16-Jul-14 16:02:30

home.bt.com/news/uknews/school-amazed-as-beautiful-letter-goes-global-11363920046132

Says here the letter was written by the Head teacher and a year 6 teacher. Nothing about America...

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:06:30

The letter was jointly by the Headteacher and the Year 6 teacher NOT copied from an American one.

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:06:42

Crossed posts.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:10:37

I don't believe that. No English head is going to think to say, "you have travelled to a really neat place". Not off her own bat.

WTF does it mean anyway?!

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:11:07

Have you ever visited Nelson in Lancashire jingl? Not a lot of spoiled brats there I think!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:11:15

Would a child know what it means?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:12:46

Not in a monetary sense. But sooner or later they will have to realise the only way to get up the ladder is to work hard.

janerowena Wed 16-Jul-14 16:13:46

Maybe it's an American teacher teaching over here, it happens. My GS's Head is Spanish and his class teacher is American.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:14:53

Could be.

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:16:43

Who says these kids don't work hard jimgl?

Nonnie Wed 16-Jul-14 16:18:01

I definitely read it as written by an American before I read the post saying it was.

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:18:42

So the ability to speak two languages, play and instrument, write poetry, be a good friend, etc.. is not worthy of comment in your view?

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:19:04

Hearsay.