Gransnet forums

Education

I really do worry about this

(56 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 21-Jul-14 21:48:00

Evening all.

My dear DIL can barely spell, not that she ever writes to me, we always chat on the phone, but looking at some of her posts on Facebook make me despair!

I think she is far from alone, I have just had this notification from Freecycle:

OFFER: Chess of draws

I have a small chess of draws they are home made but in good condision

I do appreciate that the person posting this might have English as a second language, but it seems that spelling difficulty is everywhere!

FlicketyB Tue 22-Jul-14 15:50:02

Both my children could not follow their current careers if their grammar and spelling were not excellent.

MiniMouse Tue 22-Jul-14 15:51:11

My DM was well educated, very intelligent, good at spelling, but her punctuation was a legend in its own lifetime! She'd write almost a whole page and then must have suddenly realised that she hadn't punctuated, so she'd just stick a full stop in and carry on writing. Commas, semi-colons and (heaven forbid!) colons were a lifelong mystery to her grin She did manage apostrophes though!

Aka Tue 22-Jul-14 16:08:52

Yes, they are taught punctuation in school. It doesn't always 'stick' first time though. I noticed my 7-year old GS has started littering his work with apostrophes, willy nilly. When I pointed out they were not appropriate in some most of his examples, I was informed in no uncertain terms that he'd been taught how to do it by a 'real teacher'!

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 16:25:33

Oh AKA, out the mouths, were you able to smile at him?
{smile]

Aka Tue 22-Jul-14 16:27:11

Through gritted teeth Nonu

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 16:28:39

grin

Mamie Tue 22-Jul-14 16:35:32

No, nor could mine Flickety. Having said that, my son has had to learn huge amounts about the more arcane reaches of English grammar for his job and my daughter has had to learn to write accurately and under pressure for a website that reaches a massive international audience. They came out of school and university with good skills, but they know far more now, because their careers require it.
At one point in my career I had to learn to write reports where every sentence contained a judgement (and a critical reader would throw it straight back if it didn't). It took a huge amount of time and effort to get that right.
Everyone needs to learn the basics properly, but how we advance from that depends on the career path we take, doesn't it?
I don't particularly like reading texts that have poor punctuation and grammar either, but I get equally irritated by posts that are perfectly written, but contain no original thought or insight based on the poster's own experience or understanding.
Writing is about communication isn't it?

ffinnochio Tue 22-Jul-14 16:48:34

I've recently been enjoying the company of my American niece and nephew, aged 8 and 10. We'd been chatting about writing and books, which led to them mentioning "third person omniscient" . "Never heard of it!", I said. After the giggles had stopped, I had a full explanation. smile

ffinnochio Tue 22-Jul-14 16:49:30

It's lovely, learning from children.

granjura Tue 22-Jul-14 16:52:28

Spell checkers need a good understanding of grammar by the user though- as no spell checker yet is able to understand context- so can be a bit of a disaster in the 'wrong' hands.

Both our daughters went right through the State system and are excellent, imaginative and accurate writers. Perhaps it is in the genes- as I could always spell and use syntax/grammar appropriately (well in French, not always in English). Mind you, the Head at one of the schools I taught at insisted on checking all my reports for correct grammar and spelling- but he gave up after a year as he said he should spent more time checking the English-born teachers ;) - I am not hugely academic either. Many immensely intelligent people can't spell for toffee though.

But yes, i also despair of the poor spelling, grammar and syntax of kids now- just as bad in Switzerland and France though. Really, writing a story at primary school should reward both imagination + use of language AND also correct spellings, etc- with a clear progression as years go by as to what is acceptable or not.

granjura Tue 22-Jul-14 16:53:08

Again- from sublime to ridiculous in a couple of generations. We used to get the steel ruler on finger nails for each mistake made in dictation.

Mamie Tue 22-Jul-14 17:13:32

The English school system does require the teaching of spelling, grammar and the ability to write for different purposes and audiences. I only spent a brief amount of time teaching in French schools, but I didn't see much creative or imaginative writing.
My eldest DGD has just finished Year 6. The Key Stage 2 SATs are very, very demanding. The SPAG test would challenge a lot of adults.
I still think the importance given to writing in a later life reflects the demands of society. Once an army of clerks was needed; modern society has more complex demands.
Does nobody else think that aural / oral / visual skills have become very important?

Tegan Tue 22-Jul-14 17:26:24

I used to get annoyed when teachers didn't pick up on bad spelling in my daughters homework but when she became a teacher she said she just didn't have the time, when marking, to amend all the spelling mistakes. She doesn't teach English, though.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 17:36:06

I think you are right AKA about a large proportion of the population not being good at spelling in the past as well as now;just that now people are writing MORE than they ever did, emailing, tweeting, posting all day long, so we notice it more. I hadn't thought of that before.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 17:37:15

It's nothing to worry about though.

granjura Tue 22-Jul-14 17:39:16

SPAG tests - ooops what an unfortunate name ;)

seclusion Tue 22-Jul-14 17:49:14

When my younger son was at school he wrote wonderful essays but
they were almost impossible to read as there was no punctuation.
When I protested I was told that creativity was the most important thing.
Luckily we had a teacher next door and she took him in hand and
convinced him that punctuation was important which is why he now
has a good job. I don't think he has time to write wonderful essays
though!

Mamie Tue 22-Jul-14 17:51:27

I probably should have written SPaG, Granjura!
I agree that we are now seeing the writing of a larger proportion of the population exposed to a larger audience, rosesarered. I remember when I started teaching how horrified I was by the illiteracy of the notes sent in by parents. I just hadn't seen it before.
Some people would say that limiting access to literacy was used in the past as a way of keeping the masses in their place.

Anne58 Tue 22-Jul-14 17:52:47

I remember explaining to my boys that the secret to understanding Shakespeare was to look at the punctuation.

HollyDaze Tue 22-Jul-14 19:40:37

Tegan and seclusion - reassuring to know it wasn't just Birmingham schools that didn't bother about spelling!

I've worked for several professors and although very clever men, they were a bit, erm, lacking in the handwriting, spelling, punctuation ... so it affects people at all levels. It also goes to show that just because someone may not achieve 98%+ on typing out a post or writing a letter, that doesn't equate to them having nothing interesting or valid to say.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 19:45:47

Eggactly !grin I am off now to cook sosidges for my meal, bak soon!

HollyDaze Tue 22-Jul-14 19:47:52

I'm shoor they will taste grate rosesarered grin

rosequartz Tue 22-Jul-14 19:48:41

DD2 (almost) always got 20/20 for spelling tests at junior school. However, her spelling deteriorated at senior school and her explanation was that her brain was way ahead of her fingers when writing or typing! confused

rosequartz Tue 22-Jul-14 19:49:39

ps she is now an English teacher.

Purpledaffodil Tue 22-Jul-14 19:57:59

Ooh yes Aka. As a 'real teacher ' smile, I could predict that any lesson on apostrophes would be followed by pieces of writing lavishly sprinkled with them. In my terribly amusing teacher way, I used to call them 'tadpole picnics '. The long winter nights just flew bygrin