Gransnet forums

Education

Who influenced you at school?

(85 Posts)
rubylady Sat 02-Aug-14 20:31:11

My last year primary teacher was the biggest influence of my educational years and gave me lots of confidence, making me Prefect of her own class. She would read stories last thing in the day, "The Silver Sword", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" etc. She was a really lovely woman, great teacher, kind but fair. She left when we moved onto grammar school and adopted her first son. For years afterwards I would go and visit her, even when my own children were born. She gave me the love of literature and writing and I still admire her even though I don't see her now.

Thinking about this, who influenced other GN's at their school or young lives?

flowers

bunnyroller Tue 02-Sep-14 09:01:21

That's a very positive attitude annodomini , I wanted to tell you the number 1 thing that people are scared are from is Public Speaking ,and then comes snake , spider and the list goes on , I am happy for you as you have overcome the wold's greatest fear !! Cheers !! Keep it up !!

bunnyroller Wed 03-Sep-14 12:22:08

Thanks a really nice story there by rubylady , it's a very simple and sweet one ,I was influenced by my class 2 teacher she taught us many important lessons and she cared about us a lot and she used to have this Labrador that used to come behind her everywhere she went and then one day the dog died and all of us cried and we also learnt that we will lose all our dear ones so cherish what you have in this moment !!

feetlebaum Wed 03-Sep-14 12:28:13

I believe that when I was at school* the greatest influence was The Goon Show... It was iconoclastic in a way that our masters really didn't cotton on to, although some were recently demobbed after WWII. There was a definite Generation Gap, although I don't recall hearing the phrase.

*up until 1953.

Agus Wed 03-Sep-14 15:04:27

Miss Brodie, French Mistress. She would play Edith Piaff in the background as we went on a virtual shopping trip to Paris. Mr. Carmichael, Music, Miss Anderson, English and Miss MacDonald, hockey mistress. I eventually played for our school and went on to play in a Ladies Club when I left school. Wish I had the energy to play a game now.

bunnyroller Thu 04-Sep-14 10:08:13

That's a lovely , Really good to know , There are so many wonderful teachers out there and people really don't appreciate any one of the teachers that is really bad !!

bunnyroller Fri 05-Sep-14 08:53:18

HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY !! To all the teachers who have helped me to reached where i am right there are the most important element in my life !!

bunnyroller Sat 06-Sep-14 10:16:46

'Teacher is a one who knows the way, shows the way and goes the way '

One of the famous quotes !!

annodomini Sat 06-Sep-14 10:58:29

Shouldn't that be 'goes away'? grin

AlieOxon Sat 06-Sep-14 16:30:15

Just realised that somehow a combination of the people who have taught me, have left me with the conviction that to learn more is the most important thing...........I am still learning!