Gransnet forums

Education

Who influenced you at school?

(85 Posts)
rubylady Sat 02-Aug-14 20:31:11

My last year primary teacher was the biggest influence of my educational years and gave me lots of confidence, making me Prefect of her own class. She would read stories last thing in the day, "The Silver Sword", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" etc. She was a really lovely woman, great teacher, kind but fair. She left when we moved onto grammar school and adopted her first son. For years afterwards I would go and visit her, even when my own children were born. She gave me the love of literature and writing and I still admire her even though I don't see her now.

Thinking about this, who influenced other GN's at their school or young lives?

flowers

AlieOxon Sat 06-Sep-14 16:30:15

Just realised that somehow a combination of the people who have taught me, have left me with the conviction that to learn more is the most important thing...........I am still learning!

annodomini Sat 06-Sep-14 10:58:29

Shouldn't that be 'goes away'? grin

bunnyroller Sat 06-Sep-14 10:16:46

'Teacher is a one who knows the way, shows the way and goes the way '

One of the famous quotes !!

bunnyroller Fri 05-Sep-14 08:53:18

HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY !! To all the teachers who have helped me to reached where i am right there are the most important element in my life !!

bunnyroller Thu 04-Sep-14 10:08:13

That's a lovely , Really good to know , There are so many wonderful teachers out there and people really don't appreciate any one of the teachers that is really bad !!

Agus Wed 03-Sep-14 15:04:27

Miss Brodie, French Mistress. She would play Edith Piaff in the background as we went on a virtual shopping trip to Paris. Mr. Carmichael, Music, Miss Anderson, English and Miss MacDonald, hockey mistress. I eventually played for our school and went on to play in a Ladies Club when I left school. Wish I had the energy to play a game now.

feetlebaum Wed 03-Sep-14 12:28:13

I believe that when I was at school* the greatest influence was The Goon Show... It was iconoclastic in a way that our masters really didn't cotton on to, although some were recently demobbed after WWII. There was a definite Generation Gap, although I don't recall hearing the phrase.

*up until 1953.

bunnyroller Wed 03-Sep-14 12:22:08

Thanks a really nice story there by rubylady , it's a very simple and sweet one ,I was influenced by my class 2 teacher she taught us many important lessons and she cared about us a lot and she used to have this Labrador that used to come behind her everywhere she went and then one day the dog died and all of us cried and we also learnt that we will lose all our dear ones so cherish what you have in this moment !!

bunnyroller Tue 02-Sep-14 09:01:21

That's a very positive attitude annodomini , I wanted to tell you the number 1 thing that people are scared are from is Public Speaking ,and then comes snake , spider and the list goes on , I am happy for you as you have overcome the wold's greatest fear !! Cheers !! Keep it up !!

sherish Mon 01-Sep-14 14:25:28

My Deputy Headmistress. I didn't realise it at the time but she influenced me but as an adult I find myself quoting her quite a lot. In fact when we were in France her French language teaching came in very useful. I usually say to my husband 'Miss Lord would be proud of me'. She used to tell us off for wearing our uniform skirts too short etc and we thought she was a bit of a nag. I see now she had our best interests at heart. I would love to thank her but unfortunately she died in a care home aged 90. I realise now she was a lovely kind person.

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 13:45:26

My Classics teacher. She had confidence in me which I hope I repaid. Every year, she entered a number of us for a classical speaking competition held at Glasgow University. I would never have envisaged myself standing in front of all those pupils from the 'posh' private schools, spouting Demosthenes or Homer... and beating them all. In later life, when required to speak in public, I had to reflect that if I could do it in Greek, I could do it in English!

bunnyroller Mon 01-Sep-14 12:46:30

Let's just say that he persuaded me nothing more than that !!

Elegran Sat 30-Aug-14 11:17:28

Now we are all wondering just what he persuaded you to try, and whether you have censored your post?

bunnyroller Sat 30-Aug-14 10:53:33

There is this one boy who influenced me to try something new and after trying it i was so happy that from now on i will never hesitate again so
now all credits goes to the boy !!

bunnyroller Thu 28-Aug-14 13:10:21

That's a lovely story , jenn you are so lucky to have such nice teachers and i would love to meet a teacher with such a kind , generous and helpful teacher .Jenn thanks for sharing !!

jenn Wed 27-Aug-14 22:35:48

The teacher who has had the most lasting influence on my life was a Mrs Wilson who taught me when I was in middle infants. She realised I was mad on horses and when I was 10 she arranged, and paid, for me to have 4 lessons at a riding school.

She started a passion that has lasted for over 50 years!

Now a pensioner, I still have a horse and as I hack over the moors I thank that wonderful woman for giving me something that has given me so much pleasure for so long.

bunnyroller Wed 27-Aug-14 13:40:18

Anyways today i was told to give a lecture at a school and agreed on it and guess what ??
I tried to convince all the young boys and girls but in the end i think i made convinced a handful of them feeling relieved !!

bunnyroller Tue 26-Aug-14 10:16:56

No pressure , i really appreciated it thank you !!

tcherry Mon 25-Aug-14 22:23:15

Absolutely no one--I do not really get influenced by people smile

NanaCorinne Mon 25-Aug-14 21:48:23

My English teacher who gave me Northanger Abbey to read and got me hooked on Jane Austen. He encouraged me to go to college when my parents wanted me to leave school.

whitewave Mon 25-Aug-14 13:26:36

Miss Mckey

Our science teacher. Extremely strict, but an excellent teacher - No one dared to misbehave in her class but golly we learnt a lot and our GCE passes were outstanding.

bunnyroller Mon 25-Aug-14 12:08:29

There might be someone who might have influenced you in your school days . It might be anyone and might be very small influence but there might have been something somewhere ??

bunnyroller Sat 23-Aug-14 08:25:45

MargaretX - that's good to know no one influenced you ...but literally no one ever influenced you in school ??

bunnyroller Fri 22-Aug-14 10:17:35

lol, that's quite funny Joan , Good to know ,I wish i had studied with you but no regrets anyways that's a common thing to happen in a boarding school . From being from a boarding school even i have experienced the same thing whenever a nice looking girl comes all the boys start staring at her as if God has come down from heaven itself !!

MargaretX Tue 19-Aug-14 21:16:00

Which teacher influenced my at school? Ha! Ha! not one of them did.