Gransnet forums

Education

A Level Results. Proud Granny Alert!!

(15 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 09:58:17

Whoop Whoop!! DGS1 has a place at Winchester...His first choice.

We're both chuffed but it makes you realise that time has flown by and soon all the other DGCs will be heading off for pastures new.

Congratulations to all young people who are celebrating today. smile

mcem Thu 14-Aug-14 10:05:51

Merlot I just posted on other thread wishing your GS well so am delighted to hear of his success!

merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 10:07:40

Thank you, mcem smile

Mishap Thu 14-Aug-14 10:26:43

Wonderful news!

Nonnie Thu 14-Aug-14 10:43:37

Well done Merlot's DGS1! Hope that means he will be far enough away from home not to take his washing back!

Ana Thu 14-Aug-14 10:49:05

Good news, merlot, and well done to your DGS! smile

Aka Thu 14-Aug-14 10:52:47

Wonderful Merlot grin

I had my next door neighbour round earlier, so delighted that her son had got the grades he needed too. Lovely to start the day with good news isn't it?

whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 11:08:54

I was listening to the radio this morning talking about A results and wondered how your grandson had got on. Bet you are feeling so thrilled. What is he intending to read?

merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 13:44:29

Thanks everyone. He'll be reading History and Politics, whitewave then he's hoping for a career in the Royal Navy like his dad but who knows what the future holds? We might not have any ships!!

All you want is for them to be healthy, happy and successful. Such a great feeling when they achieve their goals and through very hard work as well.

I've just come back from shopping so we'll be toasting his success with some Aldi Prosecco tonight.

Nonnie, He'll be an easy train ride away from home so I wonder if DD will kill me if I buy him a laundry bag? grin

granjura Thu 14-Aug-14 14:14:01

Well done merlotgran's GS- and all others who've studiend hard to get their results. Very proud of one of my ex- students and friend's daughter- who has looked after her mum for the past 2 years, battling terminal cancer, and her little sister too- and still got good results. I so hope her mum's illness will not stop her going to Uni as planned.

Marmight Thu 14-Aug-14 14:53:21

Congratulations to everyone and their children/grandchildren. Just glad I am past all that, although I have just heard that my step-Grandson has got A*'s in maths, advanced maths and physics to go with whatever he passed last year and will be going (once he makes up his mind which offer to accept) to read Astro Physics shock. Phew, I feel quite frail just thinking about it!
So sad Granjura for your friend's daughters. I have a friend whose twins will both be starting Uni in October, and one has decided to stay very close to home as their Dad has a very aggressive brain tumour. sad

glassortwo Thu 14-Aug-14 19:48:59

Well done merlots DGS and all the other Grandchildren who have achieved the results they needed.
Who would think that from the first time you see them as newborns and then they are off in a flash to Uni and you haven't had time to draw breath.

merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 20:57:58

He's just put in a request for a panini press as a 'going to uni' present. I asked him what he was hoping to do with a degree in History and Politics and he said,'British Diplomat, maybe MI5, Prime Minister?????'

I knew it was a mistake taking him to see Johnny English when he was seven grin

glassortwo Thu 14-Aug-14 21:01:22

grin

rubylady Fri 15-Aug-14 04:23:38

Congrats merlot, he has done exceptionally well.

granjura Congrats to your friend's daughter too. A challenging couple of years for her, but she can be proud of herself that not only has she attained her qualifications but she also didn't neglect her family while doing so. A very caring young woman indeed by the sounds of it.

Good luck to all in their chosen field for their futures. grin

We're waiting on GCSE's next week. hmm