Gransnet forums

Education

Autumn Courses

(39 Posts)
Starling Sun 07-Sep-14 20:06:16

Has anyone booked onto anything new for the autumn? I know adult education classes have been cut back a lot but there are other providers and there does seem to be a choice of courses starting in September - at least in this part of London - for example there's ceramics or ballroom dancing in an arts centre, lace-making in a library, cake-decorating in a college, art in a church, or photography in a scouts hut! I just wondered if people were trying something completely different this September?

janerowena Tue 09-Sep-14 15:33:02

Oh - and checked last night for WI sessions. This autumn I can do mosaic, mosaic - or mosaic.

Starling Tue 09-Sep-14 15:45:40

Well mosaic sounds quite nice.

janerowena Tue 09-Sep-14 16:43:58

It is - I have been doing it on and off for years, since my mother got hooked on it in Turkey when I was 13!

suzied Tue 09-Sep-14 17:54:28

But how many mosaics can you use? My DD who is an artist did mosaics and after a few mirrors and garden tables we don't need any more! I have studied various dressmaking and tailoring courses and love it as there is always a need for clothes, although saying that I do have too many. But I did make all the wedding clothes for my daughters wedding including bride, bridesmaids and my own outfit so that was something. I did do an evening wear course and took 2 years to make one chiffon dress .but it is fun and there is a social aspect to going to adult ed college .

janerowena Tue 09-Sep-14 18:05:00

Quite, suzeid. I do think there is more available in large towns and cities, but that we need them far more out here in the sticks! I looked up WEA, because I had never heard of it before, and apparently they ran for the hills from here about ten years ago.

dorsetpennt Thu 11-Sep-14 12:45:53

I am retiring from my retirement job on October 21st. It has taken a while to face up to the fact that at the grand old age of 70 years old that it is time. I have some arthritic issues and a very painful shoulder which is being exacerbated by my job. So I've done it, I've given in my notice to retire.
One of the reasons I was so reluctant was the fact that I didn't want to 'drift' through the rest of my life. I have a very good friend who's life seems to be made up of meeting people for a walk or lunch. She is drifting , she rarely leaves the confines of our small seaside life. It suits her but it fills me with dread.
I dare say I will have lunches and go on walks but I have also enrolled myself in 2 classes. Tai Chi and a Literature in Film class.

Starling Thu 11-Sep-14 18:56:21

Tai Chi and Literature in Film sound good (Is it about films based on novels / or about novels that have been made into films / or both? - Sorry I have cold mouse hand and I'm not expressing myself very well!! Will you be reading the books or watching the films or both?)

dorsetpennt Fri 12-Sep-14 10:51:10

Apparently we read the book at home, then meet and watch the DVD of the book and then discuss it at our local library. As I love both it is perfect for me. I'm also in a monthly rambling group being so near to the New Forest, the Purbecks etc we are spoilt for choice here. The walks are only about 5 miles long and end up with a pub lunch. All this is through U3A [the University of the Third Age] so the classes are cheaper then most due to us all being retired.

Soutra Fri 12-Sep-14 13:36:08

Isn't this a lovely time of year?
It's like going back to university (not school, wasn't too keen on that) - everything is starting up again, familiar faces and new courses.
Our local NADFAS started yesterday and it was brilliant, amusing and informative plus the pleasure of catching up with old friends.
Art History starts on Monday afternoon - can't wait and have persuaded DH to go to a weekly class on the Philosophy of Religion at the same Centre (just up his street) even although it will involve me driving him there and back and either killing time in Bedford or coming home in between - potentially a total of 40+ miles!

Cerasus Fri 12-Sep-14 15:02:29

I'm going back to a Tai chi class this autumn after a long break because I was too tired after work. Newly retired I could just practise at home (and I will) but I do find attending classes more motivating quite apart from needing a good teacher. Tai chi is great because it is not at all competitive which I prefer and you can work at your own level. Looking forward to attending class again!

Belle123 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:43:16

I know autumn is long past but in the hope that it may help now or in the future to find an adult education course to your taste you might like to try www.wea.org.uk/courses. As well as courses starting in September they often also start in January and post-Easter. (I hope this does not offend the guidelines on providing a link.)

NanKate Wed 28-Jan-15 17:53:01

As a retired WEA tutor and attender of classes, please give the WEA a chance. I taught and made friends with loads of people over the years through adult education. Do support them. smile

soontobe Wed 28-Jan-15 18:06:39

Even though I am a countryside dweller, I have realised that there is lots going on, including a very good college a few miles away, offering a very wide range of courses.
I hadnt realised that they had been cut elsewhere.