Gransnet forums

Education

Singing

(38 Posts)
Anya Tue 30-Sep-14 16:17:57

Just realised there is no Hobbies and no Music thread on GN. Didn't think Cold Play etc. quite counted as Culture so opted for the Learning thread.

I've just come back from a taster session with Rock Choir and I'm buzzing. I don't sing very well but that didn't seem to matter and I sort of blended in somehow. I'm definately going again and wondered if any others on GN sing with this choir and if so, perhaps we'll meet up at one of the massed choir events?

janerowena Tue 30-Sep-14 17:32:35

Several of us belong to choirs, but I don't remember that one being mentioned. Yes, being in a choir does uplift your spirits and gives you a buzz, and if you can find one where you don't have to know how to read music, if you can't, that is wonderful, although if you persevere and do your homework it's no worse than working out how to do a Sudoku.

Singing is good for you mentally and physically, it gives your insides and lungs a good workout. But I belong to two choirs during the winter and we do loads of concerts and charity events and by Xmas I am exhausted!

kittylester Tue 30-Sep-14 17:38:06

I'd love to be confident enough in my singing to join a choir. I know it doesn't matter how if one can't sing but I only mime in church so I'd be no good in a choir! grin My mother told me all the time when I was a child that I was tone deaf so I never sing!

A friend's sister gives singing lessons and I would love someone to buy me a course. sad

Frannygranny Tue 30-Sep-14 17:44:43

Best thing I ever did. I sing (not very well) in a community choir every Tuesday evening. My depression has lifted, I feel physically and mentally so much better. It gave me the confidence to perform at the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games. I know about the rock choir but IMO it's quite expensive. I only pay £40 per year and that includes all the music. I know what you mean about the buzz, it lasts all week for me! smile

Mishap Tue 30-Sep-14 18:17:52

I run a community choir and a big singing event. Singing is THE best thing for everyone - try it. You do not have to be brilliant at it (however you might define that!) but just enjoy.

Thistledoo Tue 30-Sep-14 18:38:36

I am a member of two choirs, and I just love the time I spend each week singing my heart out, making lots of mistakes and bum notes. Forget antidepressants this musical activity is the best therapy on earth. I think we should have a choir thread so we can share our experiences with GNs who also love this activity.
Kitty just go and join a community choir or similar, the more you sing the better and more confident you become. It's wonderful fellowship.[happy]

Anya Tue 30-Sep-14 18:50:52

I do think we need a music thread.

GNHQ?

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Sep-14 18:57:39

Enjoy! Joining (now two) choirs is best thing I have done in in years.
I started in a community choir about eight years ago and when I retired I joined a choral society.

It was a bit of a shock at first but I found I have improved a lot over the last few years in the choral society I have learnt to breath properly and gain some sight reading skills. We are allocated an experienced buddy to sit next to which helps with confidence to go for a high note.

It's really good fun and you can choose what sort of singing you do. Where I live there are at least seven choral societies within ten miles in all directions and several other community choirs.

A lady I shared a lift to the community choir with joined a lively Gospel choir in a nearby town as she had enough of our conductors choice of music.

baubles Tue 30-Sep-14 19:56:13

Oh how I envy all of you who can sing. I love music and sing all the time when I'm alone, I'm not deluded though, I know that I sound absolutely dreadful.

Enjoy your gift. smile

grandma60 Tue 30-Sep-14 20:54:59

I don't seem to have any kind of singing voice at all, and if I try it is nowhere near in tune, so I know what its like to have to mime in church. I too envy the people who have joined a choir. As a child I could play the recorder and flute by ear so I don't think I'm tone deaf.
Does anyone know, can anyone learn to sing or are some people unteachable?

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Sep-14 22:07:10

We'll have a chat tomorrow Anya and see what we can do smile

rubysong Tue 30-Sep-14 22:55:07

I am in a village choir group of people who sing. Some are very good and some (me and a couple of others) are not good at all but everyone is welcome, there are no auditions and we all love it. Some of us were talking about how we had enjoyed 'Singing Together' on the radio as children so 4 of us have got song books and this afternoon we had loads of fun, at my house, having a jolly good sing. I hope those who feel they would like to sing can find a welcoming choir and have a go.

Anya Tue 30-Sep-14 23:16:19

Thank you LucyGran smile

Anya Tue 30-Sep-14 23:20:11

grandma60 I do think just a very few people will never learn to sing (in tune) but most are teachable. But if you enjoy singing what the heck, does it really matter?

Just go for it.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Oct-14 09:31:31

Lo and behold... A music topic - enjoy!

janerowena Wed 01-Oct-14 14:41:14

DBH is a professional singer (also used to be a head of music at a large private school) and he says that confidence is the biggest problem. When we were first together, broke and with a small baby he used to give singing lessons at home to adults, and the difference by about week four was incredible.

janerowena Wed 01-Oct-14 14:42:13

They didn't know I could hear them. Otherwise I think some of them would have walked out, they were so nervous!

Anya Wed 01-Oct-14 22:45:09

Thank you LucyGran

jennycockerspaniel Wed 01-Oct-14 23:50:41

I belong to a U3a Singing for pleasure and I really enjoy it We went to venue where we were coached morning and afternoon and a concert at 7 It was the Pirate of Penzance 200 voices The sound was unbelievable and so pleased I joined

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Oct-14 00:06:27

JaneR I think I would still find singing solo and knowing someone was listening very difficult.

Feeling confident, breathing properly and controlling the way you use the breath makes a huge difference. It does get easier with practice.

I don't always get it right, but when you realise you can do its a great morale boost. I am not sure if I could do it in front of a group.

seasider Thu 02-Oct-14 00:09:24

Baubles. I can't sing but I don't let it stop me! I have joined a choir at work and it is great fun x

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 14:36:44

Nellie after the first time it gets so much easier. I used to hate being in the front row, let alone singing on my own, but after a while you think nothing of it.

My breathing isn't perfect by any means. Last week I got picked on by our new conductor, my diaphragm was displayed and discussed and this week, I thought - floaty tunic time! Thank heavens, it worked, and another poor soul was used as a teaching aid. But I have to say, it and the exercises worked and it's easier to hold long notes as a result. Which in turn leads to less public humiliation.

One of our Christmas concerts is going to be all british pieces with british place names in, if anyone can think of any with a place or county name in either the piece or the title? There are various wassail songs, but mostly variations on the same tune with varying place names, and the Coventry carol, that sort of thing.

Gagagran Thu 02-Oct-14 14:47:23

Scarborough Fair, The Lass of Richmond Hill, Widdecombe Fair, Eton Boating song, Ilkley Moor B'aht Hat, Liverpool Lullaby, must be loads more but that's a few that came to mind without trying jane wink

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 14:50:34

Those aren't Christmassy, but I think next summer we are carrying on the theme so they would certainly be useful for then!

Funny - my mind goes blank when trying to think of some. We do a couple of charity street concerts in the summer, those would be perfect for that.

Gagagran Thu 02-Oct-14 14:53:36

Oh sorry Jane - I didn't realise they had to be Christmassy! I'll have another think and see if any come to mind.