Gransnet forums

Education

homework in year 7

(34 Posts)
suey Mon 27-Oct-14 09:30:24

Does anyone have a grandchild in year 7? Do they have regular homework? I don't mean a lot, just some.

ginny Fri 31-Oct-14 08:38:09

I have a DGS in year 7 and I'm pretty sure my DD would agree with every word you say Mishap.

rosequartz Fri 31-Oct-14 09:53:00

When DS was in year 6 I was completely oblivious to the fact that he had to finish projects at home (a new one on me as DD had done them in school when we lived in a different area). So it was embarrassing to go into parents' afternoon to be 'told off' because his space project was excellent but only half finished!

However, he had no ambitions to be an astronaut (no head for heights) so what does it matter?
What a lax mother I was!

Evenstar Fri 31-Oct-14 14:09:28

I don't agree with homework either. Children are at school for longer than they need to be anyway, without loading them down with homework as well. They are only children for a few years, let them enjoy their childhood whilst they can.

Masseytruth Tue 16-Dec-14 11:25:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

janerowena Tue 16-Dec-14 11:32:29

Reported.

granjura Tue 16-Dec-14 16:15:02

Sadly, imho- it is the parents who put pressure on primary schools to give homework. not the teachers.

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 17:41:53

I agree, jura, about some competitive parental pressure but I don't think it's many, and when we challenged Minibags's school about homework when she was six (it was only her school "reading book" which she didn't like; she read plenty of other books at home) the HT said it was "school policy". So it looks as if both schools and parents hide behind policy instead of actually thinking about the issue properly.

vampirequeen Tue 16-Dec-14 19:17:32

I hated setting homework and never saw the point of it.