Gransnet forums

Education

Fractions at 7.30am !!!!!!

(28 Posts)
glassortwo Wed 03-Feb-16 09:54:38

Going to murder Dgs. Remembered at 7.30am he had maths homework (fractions)to do, we leave the house at 8.10 so between feeding them all and dressing the little Dgs it's been a wee bit manic here this morning. hmm Having a coffee first drink of the day and trying to restore calm.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 10:33:13

It must've been the week for forgetting homework glass. Oldest DGD (9) "remembered" she had maths homework to do at about the same time yesterday morning and like you we all have to leave the house at around 8.10-8.15. plus to add insult to injury I couldn't for the life of me remember which angle was obtuse and which was acute. blush So hope she has got them right !

trisher Wed 03-Feb-16 11:12:58

When i was teaching we always wondered if the parents were doing the homework-now it seems to be the grandparents! You both have my sympathy-can't cope with anything at that time in the morning, never mind homework!brew

Luckygirl Wed 03-Feb-16 11:27:16

My DD is full involved in the children's homework. She will say "Got to go now, got homework to do!" and I always say "Whose homework is this!?"

NanaandGrampy Wed 03-Feb-16 11:47:48

I dont mind the calls about homework but its the ones that ask' Nana , its World Book Day tomorrow and I want to go as an Octopus/ Cat / Dr Seuss ' that always send me into a tizz !!

Sadly neither DD can sew so its down to Nana ! I don't mind the costume but a little more notice would help smile

granjura Wed 03-Feb-16 12:25:02

fractions at 7.30 would be enough to make me fractious !

But, the best lesson for him would have been for you to say 'you didn't do your HW- so now you face the music' - they have to learn to take responsibility for their actions and consequences.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 12:33:28

I couldn't do that granjura too cruel and would only result in my DGD getting into trouble with an already miserable old git of a supply teacher !

I wouldn't dream of doing DGD's homework for her but I do like to sit with her/encourage her while she does it (something my parents would never have done).

glassortwo Wed 03-Feb-16 12:58:42

He managed round half before the other routine morning stuff had to be done so he will be in trouble that he didn't finish it.

Then I bent DD ear by Whatsapp about doing homework on time grin

I am like Gilly if I am with the DGC when homework is to be done I sit and guide if needed, as they are not quite at the age where they can be left to carry out what is required which was proved right this morning.

J52 Wed 03-Feb-16 13:23:04

DS 2 always left anything to do with homework, requirements for school, to the last moment. It was worse when he was in secondary school and supposed to Manage his own time!

It makes me smile to hear him talk about the need to get homework done on time with his own DD!

x

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 13:46:24

A classic case of "don't do what I do did, do what I say" J52 grin

I think we can all be a little guilty of that sometimes.

granjura Wed 03-Feb-16 14:03:30

Indeed- of course we all help- especially with young children. One of the things DD1 does with the children is to go through the HW diary and ensure it's been done before they go to bed. But... perhaps from time to time it won't do the GCs much harm to remind them to take some responsibility for themselves to some extent, even if it means getting into a bit of trouble and having to face consequences. We are not talking about beaten (as my father would have been) or spend 1 hour or 2 behing after school (as I and you probably would have been, or at lunchtime if bused). How else will our GC learnt about being responsible if we wrap them up in cotton wool, within reason. They won't get away with it in adult life- and it will cost them dear, lose them their job even.

J52- yep, secondary and 6th form and HW tested the nerves, didn't they?
But I was so amazed when DD1 told us when she got to Uni that all her friends she shared a flat, then a house with- were totally unable to manage their time and hand in stuff on time- as they'd all gone to private schools where they had to do supervised HW all the time. She said they were so used to someone literally 'sitting on them until it was done' they just didn't have a clue how to organise themselves. That felt good.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 14:46:19

A whole other debate (that we may have had before) but I really fail to see the need for homework in primary school. Surely small children should be playing and doing other things.

grannylyn65 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:07:58

I remember DS trying to teach me ( again!) fractions as a very mature student; losing it completely and shouting'Will you stop looking out of the window and pay attention!!!'
grin

granjura Wed 03-Feb-16 15:10:21

it's parents that want HW, not the teachers. As you say, a whole other debate.

My point is about teaching responsibility for one's actions, and consequences- and softly, softly, they should learn from a young age. Over-protecting them is not good in the long-term /(my opinion of course, and you may disagree. Parents want more and more results nowadays, but will not let children fail at all, nor allow teachers to deal as sensitively as poss with consequences). In my view, a recipe for disaster- again my view, as a parent, a grand-mother and a retired teacher.

Luckygirl Wed 03-Feb-16 15:16:37

Please don't get me onto the subject of primary school homework! Whenever do they get to be just children?

Badenkate Wed 03-Feb-16 15:19:51

When my sons were at state secondary school in Switzerland, they had quite a lot of homework plus very frequent subject tests. If they didn't maintain a certain standard over the term, they received a warning, and if it continued the next term they could be moved down a year, or go to a lower level school. Because of this, they got into the habit of doing work when it was set, instead of forgetting about it as they had done in England. Consequently, any work they had in 6th form college and uni was done well before the due date because that was what they were used to doing!

Jalima Wed 03-Feb-16 15:41:22

J52 ditto with DS!
Although both grannies have been known to help with half-term homework which required quite a lot of effort and indeed a couple of trips out. What would happen if the DGC were with a childminder and the homework didn't get done?

kittylester Wed 03-Feb-16 15:49:46

glass, he just cares so much about you that he wants to keep your brain active!!

glassortwo Wed 03-Feb-16 20:28:59

kitty we have had another try this afternoon in the calm and we both manage really well grin now I have hit 60 he must think the grey matter needed stirred up a bit wink

glassortwo Wed 03-Feb-16 20:31:18

DGD had her Roald Dahl project to finish tonight, so we have had a full on homework club smile

Penstemmon Wed 03-Feb-16 21:09:59

All current research suggests primary homework is rather a waste as it does not appear to make a difference to long term outcomes! I think occasional 'see what you can find out about...' is OK and reading but "learning spellings" does not make poor spellers good spellers! They tend to forget v. quickly and often do not apply when writing.

Better that kids learn to use 'unstructured' time purposefully. Many kids have so much organised for them in after school care clubs etc. that some find it hard to manage free time!

Penstemmon Wed 03-Feb-16 21:15:49

When I say purposefully I mean not drooping about saying 'I'm bored, what can I do'

Blinko Thu 04-Feb-16 07:46:19

When he was young, DS2 announced one morning that he was one of the three Kings in the school nativity later that day. It seems from a recent remark he made, that he still blames me for not being able to rustle up a full Royal outfit on my way out to work!

Wonderful, aren't they?

annifrance Thu 04-Feb-16 11:11:29

I agree with granjura - need to learn that it is their responsibility and actions - or non actions - have consequences, a lesson in Life.

Also agree with Luckygirl. they have homework far too young these days, in the case of two of my DGCs from day one at 4 years old! DD is rigid about it. I think it is appalling but help to save the poor little things too much stress. Reading at an appropriate moment is one thing, but things like spellings at half term etc is ridiculous. Quite like doing projects that go on for a few weeks as they are usually of the creative or researching kind.

20 minutes homework when they reach 9 is quite early enough.

Gaggi3 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:41:33

DH (retired maths teacher) wasn't happy about the clarity of a worksheet DGS had to do recently. DD and I both struggled to understand it too. DGS is only 7! I am against homework for young children too, as I don't think it has much value, though sometimes, perhaps just initially, the children feel quite grown-up about it.