Gransnet forums

Education

How do you score in a test aimed at 10-11 yr olds?

(108 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 16-Apr-16 10:58:38

www.sats2016.co.uk/think-youd-pass-your-sats-in-2016/

I had to giggle at the missing apostrophe in the link though.

jogginggirl Sat 16-Apr-16 11:10:58

I definitely would not pass these tests.
Scary really, considering I managed a good GCE English Language grade back in the day ...?

Luckygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 11:18:15

I got 60% - mainly because the language now used is not what it was in my day!

Children need to be able to express themselves and learning grammar in this detail is only of use to them if they go on to study languages. I did English, French, German and Latin at A-level and went on to a degree and post-grad qualification. And I only got 60% in this test.

It is madness!

harrigran Sat 16-Apr-16 11:57:33

I need to go back to primary school grin

annsixty Sat 16-Apr-16 11:59:13

Also 60% must try harder as my report would have said.

grumppa Sat 16-Apr-16 11:59:39

90%, fooled by modern terminology in one case.

tanith Sat 16-Apr-16 12:15:34

blush

merlotgran Sat 16-Apr-16 12:47:49

I only scored 60% as well.

When I was ten years old my head was never out of a book. Thankfully, my reading ability wasn't hampered by not being familiar with subordinating conjunctions. hmm

Greyduster Sat 16-Apr-16 12:49:03

And me!

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 12:49:11

70%
I am ashamed
May I blame modern terminology?

Greyduster Sat 16-Apr-16 12:50:28

That 'and me' relates to Tanith's post, not merlotgrans! blush

Charleygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 13:35:57

I must have been educated in another country because I was never taught any of that lingo when I was at school.

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 14:34:59

Not sure I even understood half the questions. Should have tossed a coin, might have done better. English never was my strong point.

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 14:49:17

I thought I would attempt the maths but the link failed.

thank goodness!

chloe1984 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:49:34

Too embarrassed to say

annodomini Sat 16-Apr-16 16:08:45

A lot of children are quite traumatised at the prospect of the SATs next month.An 11-year-old I know is suffering from acid reflux which started just this term. Parents are also being caused unnecessary anxiety because they don't have the knowledge of grammatical terminology to help their children to prepare for the tests. Indeed teachers have needed extra training to enable them to teach for the tests. Some years ago, a Y6 teacher, who left at the same time as I retired as chair of governors, told me that she loved teaching and loved the children but teaching for tests was not education as she knew it. Next weekend, I am going to visit my DS2 and family; one GS is taking SATs next month and I might just have to give a crash course in grammar - to my DS.

hildajenniJ Sat 16-Apr-16 16:20:07

Oh woeful! I only scored 40%. I used to come near the top of the class in English language. Have things got tougher, or have I forgotten most of what I learned?

tanith Sat 16-Apr-16 16:25:15

My granddaughter will also be taking SATs soon but although the school are putting on the pressure we've tried to take the pressure off by telling her to do her best but not to worry about them. After all they are just for the schools benefit and those damn league tables no doubt the children will be tested again in the Autumn at their new secondary schools..
I think making children so stressed and worried about this is just wrong.

Daisyanswerdo Sat 16-Apr-16 16:27:37

80%, but I think one or two were a lucky guess. I need to look a few things up.

Nelliemoser Sat 16-Apr-16 18:19:12

40% and I guessed at most of them. This is totally ridiculous. Most of us do not need to know this stuff and can still write coherently and gramatically .

Just as you do not need to know the all the chemical elements in your cake mix and how they interact in order to make a good cake. It is totally wrong to make children do this unless they are studying grammar as a high level academic subject.
This is how to make your school kids feel failures.
I don't think I was taught this stuff either using this technical language.
What is the world coming to.

M0nica Sat 16-Apr-16 18:19:26

There was nothing on the test that I wasn't taught at school. Much that I had forgotten or never understood.

I was one of the top group English language students at school, but the grammar side of it always defeated me. My talent was for words: precise, composition and comprehension and anything to do with spelling or word definitions. I only ever attempted the grammar question if I had time on my hands towards the end of the exam.

Charleygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 18:25:25

I was educated in Scotland and there was little or nothing in that test that I was taught. We only learned about prepositions, nouns and adjectives and I did very well in English grammar.

annsixty Sat 16-Apr-16 18:43:01

My GD and her friend both 17 came this afternoon and I got them both to do the test. One scored 40% and one 30%. They are both doing Btecs and said they are not taught that now.

Eloethan Sat 16-Apr-16 20:08:55

I believe I have good English and can express myself well but I only scored 40% - and that was through trying to work out what the terms were likely to mean. Although I think I know how to use language correctly, I was never taught these technical terms.

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:11:16

The grammar is the same but the terms they use have changed - I took a calculated guess for some of them smile