Gransnet forums

Education

Are you studying anything interesting?

(46 Posts)
laughinggran Fri 22-Apr-16 16:43:00

I'm recently retired and have just found Gransnet - what a marvellous place!
I am looking for various ways to spend my time now I'm not going to be working any more and I've decided I'd really like to learn something new. Can any of you inspire me with suggestions? Languages I'm not overly keen on - I speak French and basic German so not many but enough for me. What else would you/are you studying/learning? Thank you!

Charleygirl Fri 22-Apr-16 16:48:18

Welcome- like a lot of us you may become addicted to this forum and you will end up doing very little.

Have you thought of looking up your local U3A? There may be subjects there which interest you. Good luck.

granjura Fri 22-Apr-16 17:43:35

Italian - and hpefully tai-chi again as soon as I am up to it (after knee op).

Daddima Fri 22-Apr-16 18:28:40

I can do German, French, and Spanish, and have just started to learn Greek.
I may try something else when I feel a bit better.

Luckygirl Fri 22-Apr-16 18:32:20

Future Learn - free online courses - the world is your oyster!

pollyperkins Fri 22-Apr-16 18:39:28

Chinese! I am fascinated by the writing in particular.
As you say you are not keen on languages, what about a musical instrument. If you have never played one, you could find a ukulele group for beginners - they are very popular at the moment and lots of fun.
Or what about a new art/craft. I have dabbled in lace making (with bobbins) which I love and has caused a lot of interest among friends, but it is a bit slow, and nobody wants a lot of lace at the moment. I haven't got much further than bookmarks (!) but you can get patterns for pictures which can be mounted and displayed, or Christmas decorations etc.
Researching your ancestors is another interesting hobby which is popular but can get a bit obsessive at times!
All these things and much more can probably be found at your local U3A.

GrandmaMoira Fri 22-Apr-16 18:47:39

I'm in my first year of an Open University Humanities degree. It's interesting and doesn't take too much time. I also attend a class at my local adult education where we do a range of arts and crafts such as painting, jewellery making, mosaics, and we go on outings to galleries and museums.

baubles Fri 22-Apr-16 19:45:45

I'm trying to learn tai chi but having difficulty remembering the sequence however I'm at the younger end of the age range in the class and it appears to be a common problem. grin

I've also been attending a life drawing class since last October which I really enjoy.

One of our gransnetters recently introduced me to MOOCS (Massive Open Online Courses) info here -https://www.futurelearn.com/
I've signed up for a few courses and have already started a couple.

baubles Fri 22-Apr-16 19:48:29

Oops link fail, try again.

www.futurelearn.com/

nettyandmasey Sat 23-Apr-16 16:03:36

I'm doing an Open University degree too. French , Spanish and now creative writing. Really enjoying it. I started as I had to stop work through ill health. Future learn also has a huge range of courses as baubles said.

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 16:08:43

I am thinking of doing a PhD in Gransnetting
(see other thread) grin

M0nica Sat 23-Apr-16 16:25:57

Find out what is being run locally; local College of Further Education, WEA, U3A and local university extra mural department, if it has one. Also google for crafts courses in your area. We have local (private) Craft School and I have done several courses there.

SewAddict Sat 23-Apr-16 16:41:24

Since I retired I have taught myself to sew and make things. I also learnt to digitise my own designs for my embroidery machine using software. I wanted a more crafty learning curve as I already studied for a master's degree while working. I love sewing now and make mostly bags and quilts. YouTube is great for learning and Craftsy for sewing, painting, cake decorating etc. The courses are often discounted and you learn at home in your own time.

Jalima Sat 23-Apr-16 16:45:32

Sorry, my post wasn't very helpful.
I did art (painting) for quite a long while and may go back to it.
Apart from that, French conversation and trying to learn German, researching family history (although I have not joined a group).

I agree, YouTube is great for learning; I have learnt quite a lot from just googling 'how to' for various crafts. Some demonstrations are better than others of course.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 17:49:33

I liked the other post better.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Apr-16 17:50:08

And yes, I know that's atrocious grammar. grin

whitewave Sat 23-Apr-16 18:26:59

Struggling with an EU course at the moment. Cor blimey somewhat stretching just about keeping up.

aprilgrace Sat 23-Apr-16 21:29:32

I'm learning Welsh as we have a caravan in Wales and go quite a bit . It's not easy but it's really interesting.

Deedaa Tue 26-Apr-16 21:31:36

I'll shortly be starting a Futurelearn basic Italian course to refresh my Italian.

Nanabelle Wed 27-Apr-16 00:59:14

I have done some water colour classes which I enjoyed and also a fair isle knitting workshop for a day (still haven't finished that item!) - and upholstery for a couple of terms. Thinking I should try and learn to play bridge, as hopefully that would help my memory, if you have to recall what cards have been played?
Also trying to get out and walk or cycle every day and I love my yoga class.
Do you belong to a WI or Townswomen's Guild?
But you want to learn something new …….. you could check out your local college for an evening/day class for an A level or GCSE - new courses would not be starting
until September though. Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to retirement - possibly the busiest time of your life and when the days go by so much faster than before!

Alea Wed 27-Apr-16 08:45:19

Future Learn "A History of Royal Food and Feasting", starting in June. One track mind, moi? grin

Pansy1 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:06:52

I am 68 and just finishing my first year studying a degree in Criminology.

LauraStromboli Wed 27-Apr-16 11:11:19

I do one thing with my DH attend an architectural history course, which means lovely days out visiting lovely cities/villages/cathedrals with speakers, an annual week visiting different parts of the country similarly. Great fun and getting to know all the other students over the years and the subject.
Creative writing and a small project with a children's book which may or may not get finished, the grand-children like it!

oznan Wed 27-Apr-16 11:15:47

I have just completed a Genealogy course with Strathclyde University through Future Learn.Although I have been doing my family tree for years it offered a surprising amount of new information and resources.
Future Learn has an amazing amount of courses on many different subjects-would recommend it to anyone.

cheshiresmile25 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:21:05

Yes Alea. I've just found 'FutureLearn' and am finishing a course on Genealogy which has been interesting and useful for when I get going on researching my family tree. There are so many different courses available. All free. I think it's linked to the Open University. Each one only lasts a few weeks - a few hours a week online and you don't even need to keep up each week.The materials are still online when the course is officially finished. No 'work' to hand in either! You can buy a certificate of participation when you've completed the course if you want.
I've signed up for another course about nutrition!
I've also done some evening Italian courses at the local college which is a more sociable way of learning.
I'm sure I'll be signing up for more FutureLearn courses in the future.