Gransnet forums

Education

Tablets computer ones

(65 Posts)
Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 09:08:43

I am in a huge dilemma I have had the kindle 8.0 HDX and have had nothing but trouble with it but even with all it's faults mainly charging issues I love it. Amazon are still selling them but have only one model and I am really tempted to buy it again. I bought one for my granddaughter and hers is not too bad. Amazon refunded me my money on mine by the way. I have been looking at other tablets and I have spent hours and hours and I can't make my mind up about any of them and that's why I am here. I am asking if anyone could help with recommendations I like the I pad and a Samsung I think it's the S 2 one . But when I was reading the reviews it said there's a lot of things you can't do with an IPad plus I am not sure how much you can trust these reviews. I am hoping that someone on here can help with suggestions. MARY

NanaandGrampy Wed 14-Sep-16 09:20:25

Hi Mary , I've had several iPads over the years and can highly recommend them. I can't think of anything I can't do with it . We pass our old iPads to our grandchildren so we certainly get our monies worth .

yogagran Wed 14-Sep-16 09:55:20

I have had a Samsung Galaxy Tab S for a couple of years now (unusual for me as I normally change my tech devices fairly often to "keep up") and I've been really happy with it. Would certainly go down the same route again when I need to change
Definitely wouldn't go the Apple way as I feel that you get too tied in to everything to go with it

Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:03:11

Hi thanks for that I was almost on the verge of buying one when I read the reviews he said he couldn't take it in to work and use it for work stuff for a reason I can't remember. I use mine for everything because I can't sit at the computer for any more than 20 minutes because of discs out and pressing on the nerves so the tablet is really important to me that's why I want to get a good reliable one but it's a minefield and I don't know about them as I went from my old kindle e reader straight to this one and it would be a God send if it worked it's the difference of being able to get on the internet or not. I have just had to book a wash and blow dry because the pain is so bad I can't my hands up to the top of my head. So a tablet is a major help to me. MARY

tanith Wed 14-Sep-16 10:09:32

We both have iPads and use them for everything. iPads connect to the Internet simply as do all tablets as far as I know. We are very happy with them.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 10:21:19

The Apple Air 2 is the best tablet on the market.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 10:22:10

But I believe Apple have just put up their prices.

Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:35:18

Thanks jinglebellsfrocks I thought they were coming down because they have just brought out a new one. Mary

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 10:48:49

It's £380 now. Would still recommend it. You can't beat the best. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 10:49:47

The new one came out about 6 months ago. That's about 550!

Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:52:53

Jinglebellsfrocks I just looked on John Lewis and it's £449.00 the new one is only a few pounds more on there

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:01:42

Get it direct from Apple.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:04:51

from 379

Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:05:48

I just looked on Apple much cheaper there but the new one is more expensive than John Lewis

Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:08:13

The Samsung S2 is harder to find that is the cheapest of them I wonder with a new Apple out is the air 2 going to be out of date

jollyg Wed 14-Sep-16 11:09:02

Apple prices are all the same no matter where you buy them in UK.

They have us all by the short and curlies,and BTW I have always used apple, but am not so stupid as to upgrade all the time.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:10:47

I would still buy the older one. They are reliable anyway.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:13:28

Out of date doesn't matter. Apple want people to buy another one I guess. That's why they put out new ones. I wouldn't go with the Samsung.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:16:54

You get good service from Apple too. When I dropped my iPad mini they replaced it with a new one much more cheaply than buying from scratch again.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-Sep-16 11:24:47

(I dropped it on concrete)

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 14-Sep-16 11:30:06

I will buy a Samsung when my Acer needs replacing (nothing wrong with it now). I wouldn't spend the extra money on an iPad. I was given one a few years ago when my brother was upgrading his, but I found I preferred using Android devices because of the flexibility.

miep Wed 14-Sep-16 11:30:45

Try Morgan Computers, they have cheap tablets
I have a Kindle Fire and love it (not from Morgan)

Welshwife Wed 14-Sep-16 12:29:44

I have an iPad and we have an IMac as the computer - it is very handy as they both update to the same iCloud account so things can be accessed from either machine. Apple prices are similar wherever you get them - no special deals. If you go to an Apple shop you can get extras though - free - and also have one to one lessons at any time. The only thing I find I cannot do on the IPad is word processing.
I intend to look at the Apple laptops and hope they are not too expensive compared to the others!

path20 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:40:14

Welshwife...I bought Microsoft Office with Word for my IMac and I can also use it on my Ipad.

Tizliz Wed 14-Sep-16 13:11:43

The probable reason for price differences is the memory size. There are so many iPads now. I have just bought an iPad mini (I used to have an iPad2) and am really pleased with it, it is so light.