Gransnet forums

Education

Homework Buddy (private tutoring) for parents, grandparents and carers

(30 Posts)
bev12345 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:23:24

As a primary school teacher, parents, grandparents and child minders all remark how difficult it is to support children with their homework. If a private tutor was to offer tutoring support to carers as well as children, tutoring in way that cut through jargon and simplified things, what would you be prepared to pay? What would your expectations be and would this be something you would take up? Look forward to reading your comments. Thank you!

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Nov-17 09:03:45

Is this an advertisement for somones tutoring services?

eazybee Wed 01-Nov-17 09:26:07

Primary school children should be able to do their homework without the support of parents and tutors. If they genuinely need support, that is, they are unable repeatedly to do their HW even though they have listened to instructions, contact the teacher in the first instance, and use local tutors chosen from personal recommendations. Do not sign up to any commercial schemes, because they are extremely expensive and tie parents into contracts; in some cases they are promoted by the schools because they receive a cash payment for doing so.

NotTooOld Wed 01-Nov-17 09:26:08

Certainly sounds like it. Personally, I''m fed up with schools expecting kids to undertake 'projects' in the holidays which frequently involve not only parents' time but also parents' money. Let the kids and the parents have a break, I say, and just enjoy each others company.

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 09:40:21

I'd be very wary about accepting this kind of support from someone demonstrating rather dodgy grammar.
I agree with others that, if HW can't be reasonably tackled by the child ( with some adult support) then the HW is inappropriate and should be discussed with class teacher.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:35:01

If you would like a simple answer then No.

I don't agree with homework for primary school children although I know that mine do have a fair amount.
The DGC's school ran a free course for parents who wished to update their mathematical knowledge to enable them to help their children if necessary.

bev12345 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:12:38

Agreed, homework should not form part of primary school children's curriculum, but it does. In addition, so do BODMAS, modal verbs and relative pronouns. It is this language, and descriptions of curriculum content which cause worry and feelings of inadequacy in both children and parents. Having someone breakdown barriers and explain these in simple terms would be a blessing for some. Sadly MCEM if you took a KS2 SATs test based on what you've written, you would not pass. That's the reality of today's primary curriculum.

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 14:15:24

I doubt that, bev, but really think you need to brush up on your grammar before declaring yourself an expert.
By the way, pupils in Scotland are not subject to this unnecessarily contrived language curriculum.

Primrose65 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:33:29

There are so many free, high-quality educational resources on the internet. A quick google of 'modal verbs ks2' should enlighten even the most worried parent. If I was not confident enough in a subject to support primary aged children in the academic homework, I'd explore these online resources with the child and learn together.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:35:31

mcem back to school for you wink
Obviously all your subsequent qualifications count for nought.

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 14:52:25

bev12345 could you be more precise about mcem’s grammatical shortcomings? Given her education and qualifications, I am suprised by your criticism.
Personally I would have said “if a private tutor were to offer tutoring support”etc
And are all “parents, grandparents, childminders” etc a primary school teacher?
Surely not, in which case you might wish to rephrase your opening sentence. hmm

bev12345 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:03:44

MCEM there is a capital 'B' in 'B'ev for starters. I Didn't realise that I was supposed to present a dissertation fit for a assessment by the Don of Oxford University. This is an 'informal' network isn't it? Blimey, what a bunch I'm off, and leave you to slaughter each other. You aren't very nice people. Happy Christmas! xx

MCEM, you aren't as clever as what you think you are.

minesaprosecco Wed 01-Nov-17 15:24:21

bev, there isn't a capital B in your username so mcem is quite correct not to use one.

Marydoll Wed 01-Nov-17 15:34:00

bev12345 , the only unpleasant person on here has been yourself. A word of advice, proof read before you post.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:38:49

To B’ev (with or without a capital) if you’re still around, to answer your question, probably ‘no’. You see most parents these days who take an interest in their child’s education can cope with their homework, and those who don’t or can’t, are unlikely to want to pay or to afford to pay.

I CBA’d to check my grammar nor my punctuation but I think you get my drift.

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 16:46:00

Without getting into further justification or nitpicking and without pointing out further errors, I'd like to say why I posted.
We are often subjected to spam offers and I believed that this might be one.
If any poster should feel really insecure about HW she might be tempted to take up such a suggestion and I felt that, given the poor level of writing skills displayed in the post, it was reasonable to point out that it could be a foolish move.
Thank you to those who pointed out that my post was not actually riddled with errors.
If bev should wish to ask where there are errors I'd be happy to discuss that in a pm, rather than drag other posters into a thread which lacked integrity from the outset.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:08:21

MCEM there is a capital 'B' in 'B'ev for starters
and a wandering apostrophe
MCEM, you aren't as clever as what you think you are.
A wandering what in that sentence

ps on the contrary, mcem is probably much cleverer than what she thinks she is.

pps Just for the record, there are no capital letters in mcem

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 17:48:13

Thanks J.
I think, for the record, our joint efforts have pinpointed most of the errors. I have the feeling that my offer of a pm will not be taken up.
I'm afraid this is an issue which has been on my mind since Sunday when I attended a dance display.
The teacher encouraged the children by telling them that they done brilliant !
In her thanks speech she added that one pupil got picked for further lessons and has went on to do really well.
As I shuddered, she told us that she is a primary teacher! I'd have found it impossible to keep mum if she'd worked in my school!

tessagee Wed 01-Nov-17 18:14:06

Tutoring for 11-plus in my area has now become a must-do in the year prior to sitting the exam. The fees are exorbitant but most parents feel that they have to find the money somehow, so no thanks, I'd certainly not want to pay even more to tutors.

loopyloo Wed 01-Nov-17 18:30:21

Am I right in thinking not everywhere has the 11 plus? Not all local authorities have grammar schools.
Personally I don't think children under 11 should do homework. Or if they do it should be a small amount, say 10 spellings that they are expected to do.
The pressure children are put under with tutoring etc is ridiculous and might be one reason for the rise in mental illness.
Let them do other activities like dance, cubs etc after school.

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 18:48:29

You're right loopy.
In Scotland there are no grammar or free schools, no 11plus and no SAT's.
I worked in an English EA but long before the current strangulating regime was in place.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Nov-17 18:53:13

Please don't go through the grammar of any of my posts.

loopyloo Wed 01-Nov-17 18:59:05

We paid for our son to go to a private nursery school. His school report at the end of year had 5 spelling mistakes. But he was happy there! He has 2 degrees now, so no permanent damage.

Marydoll Wed 01-Nov-17 19:22:45

Nelliemoser, I don't think anyone is worried about grammar in posts.
It was the irony of the OP presuming to lecture about grammar, when his/hers was a bit suspect.

mcem Wed 01-Nov-17 22:19:09

Nellie GN posts are written spontaneously and in the spirit of friendly communication so no worries there. I always enjoy your input.

As marydoll said it was ironic that someone claiming to be an expert showed pretty poor writing skills - to the extent that I felt it could be a scam.

If someone puts herself up as an expert she should be very careful that her pitch shows she has the necessary expertise!