Gransnet forums

Education

I've just got to tell someone!

(68 Posts)
icanhandthemback Wed 21-Mar-18 00:09:45

We have just got back from the Schools England Hockey Cup competition where my son's team did very well finishing third; they were the first team in the school's history to get to the finals so we were already on a high. My DS has a medical condition which puts him at a disadvantage to the others but he has always been conscientious and keen to play no matter how much pain he has been in but no matter how hard he tries, he will never get higher than County Level because his body is just not designed for stamina or speed. Nevertheless, we are inordinately proud of his determination and were delighted to be told that he is to be the Captain of the 1st X1. I want to shout it to the world as this is such an honour and a recognition of his hard work but I have been told to keep it under my hat until the official announcement which is some way off. I think I'm going to burst so I hope I haven't outed myself so much on here that I have let the cat out of the bag!

Elrel Tue 29-Jan-19 22:47:01

Great to see your son's achievement! ???

ayse Tue 29-Jan-19 22:27:17

Congratulations and well done to him. How wonderful

tanith Tue 29-Jan-19 22:25:37

The original post was made nearly a year ago but I would love to see a follow up to it.

johnsam Tue 29-Jan-19 22:10:32

Wow, this is fantastic! Your lad has done a good job.

Newquay Fri 23-Mar-18 09:27:36

Congratulations to DS and all the family too. No wonder you're bursting with pride! We all share your joy??

starlily106 Thu 22-Mar-18 09:57:51

Lovely to read this, you must be so proud.

annodomini Thu 22-Mar-18 09:26:52

ican, congratulations to your son. He clearly has all the leadership attributes of a fine captain of the First XI. I, too, was a 'hockey mum' when my DS played County Under 16s, and he is still playing for a club - aged 45!
Be proud! You deserve a share of his success. Mums do have a big part to play - I should know!

grannyactivist Thu 22-Mar-18 08:55:34

ican - my family are all incredibly modest and would never tout their achievements, but that's okay - I'm sure it's why they have me - to do it for them!! grin
Thus, I absolutely get why you would be so proud and want to tell everyone about your son's success; well done that boy!!!

Day6 Thu 22-Mar-18 02:34:51

Really pleased for you and your son! It must be very difficult having a child with limitations because of a medical condition so his achievement is absolutely wonderful. No wonder you are so proud. I'd bet he's got where he is because of lots of encouragement from his supportive and loving Mum. Take a bow too. Lovely story - thank you.

hicaz46 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:14:13

Congratulations. My GS was playing hockey today at Tonbridge but sadly his team didn't do as well as your GS. He is U11 and he is captain of his school and club team. As a proud grandparent I know how you feel.

craftynan Wed 21-Mar-18 21:01:08

Just fantastic xxxxx

hulahoop Wed 21-Mar-18 20:40:46

That's fantastic news you deserve to be proud ?

rafichagran Wed 21-Mar-18 20:29:17

So pleased for you and him. Congratulations.

123kitty Wed 21-Mar-18 20:19:49

I'm sure your encouragement and support has been invaluable to your DS, congratulations to you both. Aren't we lucky to have GN- your lovely secret is safe with us.

LuckyFour Wed 21-Mar-18 20:07:25

I'm echoing all the above comments. I can see why you are so very pleased and I'm sure you have more than a bit to do with his success!

Hollycat Wed 21-Mar-18 19:38:47

How very nice for you all. My congratulations!

Willow500 Wed 21-Mar-18 17:59:56

That's a great achievement - no wonder you're bursting with pride - wonderful news!!

FarNorth Wed 21-Mar-18 16:53:47

Fantastic ican sunshine sunshine sunshine

Rosina Wed 21-Mar-18 16:50:43

That's wonderful; special people are the ones who can achieve against all the odds. There should be a Stephen Hawking award for those who battle on and get there in spite of every difficulty. Good for him!

Tessa101 Wed 21-Mar-18 16:00:10

How lovely for you and your family. Congratulations flowers

Luckygirl Wed 21-Mar-18 15:29:03

All

Luckygirl Wed 21-Mar-18 15:28:45

ll the more precious as it was against the odds - you be proud!!! smile

Bez1989 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:24:16

ICANHANDTHEMBACK.....
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR SON !!
It's great to hear GOOD NEWS on here and it's pleasent to hear about WINNERS ! WELL DONE to your son and his achievements. You must be so proud ! sunshineflowers

Herbie9 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:48:14

What a wonderful son - he has achieved so much. You must be so proud. Congratulations to both of you.

Legs55 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:31:11

Congratulations, this is such lovely news to brighten up the day. No wonder you're bursting with pride, I would find it difficult to keep something like this quiet.smile