Gransnet forums

Education

DGD worried about her SATS

(44 Posts)
gillybob Sun 12-May-19 09:12:08

Like many others, my DGD2 (11) starts her SATS tomorrow and whilst she is usually very happy and confident at school, she has never really grew to like (I was going to say “got on with” but thought that might be misconstrued) her class teacher. She has been doing lots of revision but is still really worried and anxious about the tests. I have tried to tell her not to worry, but they do don’t they? I have told her that as long as she tries her best she will be fine and whatever happens she still has a place in the secondary school close to home with her elder sister.

Any advice would be gratefully received. She is with me all day today and I’m not sure whether revising at this stage is a good thing or shall I just encourage her to enjoy the sunshine and try to forget SATS for today?

Thank you in advance. smile

BradfordLass72 Sun 12-May-19 09:25:18

I worked in a High School where the Principal used to get all the young people sitting waiting to take exams, to do deep breathing and calming exercises which had previously been advised in class. He knew that many of them had confessed to 'going blank' from anxiety during exams and wanted them to have a chance to over come this.

This would be done for 10 minute before the adjudicator came into the room.

I believe he also provided Rescue Remedy for those who wanted it - very calming.

Perhaps you could try this with your DG?

www.anxieties.com/57/panic-step4#.XNfX7xT7Tm4

The very best of luck to your lovely, clever grand-daughter.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 09:30:25

You’re right - she will worry whatever you say so as long as she knows that you understand why that’s supportive. As for today if she wants to revise, let her but make a little timetable with her - x time for revision followed by y time for her.

Luckygirl Sun 12-May-19 09:30:46

Bloody SATs - not only making children unhappy and anxious, but wrecking true education. Makes me furious. How dare they?

Jane10 Sun 12-May-19 09:49:45

It's possible that all her friends are worrying too and, between them, they may have worked themselves up? She's worked hard. The balance of probability is that she'll do fine.
Perhaps you could just matter of factly provide her with a nice normal Sunday and chat brightly about the summer holidays or whatever else is looking like being the next high spot for her?

Buffybee Sun 12-May-19 10:10:07

It's such a shame that children are being made so anxious about these Sats. It's ridiculous and just a box ticking exercise for the Government.
If I was you gilly, I'd do some revision with her and reassure her how well she's doing. Then spend the rest of the day enjoying yourselves and relaxing. Bless her!
We've got the opposite with my Grandson, who is so laid back, he's horizontal. I've asked him if he's worried about Sats and he says that they're just boring and he's fed up going over the same things all the time and not learning anything new. He's told me that when they have an afternoon of revision on the computers, he plays about instead. I've told him that it's naughty but he just shrugs and says that it's a waste of time because he's done it all a hundred times.
Luckily he's got into the best school in the area, which is literally 100 yards away, he says that he can't wait to go, then maybe he'll learn something new.
By the way, his twin Sisters were exactly like your Gd and needed lots of reassurance, up to the point of crying and being sick.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 10:38:18

Actually Buffy it’s far more evil than a box ticking exercise. League tables are used as sticks to beat schools and teachers and have facilitated the breaking up of any meaningful system of state education. The recent story of excluded pupils has much to do with league tables.

Buffybee Sun 12-May-19 10:47:02

Thanks for that maryeliza, I've never understood exactly what they are all about but unfortunately worse than I thought.
I have read that teachers also get really stressed about these Sats and really good ones are leaving the profession, which is very worrying.
Why is the Government so out of step with everything?

mcem Sun 12-May-19 10:51:58

My heart goes out to all these stressed-out children (plus parents and g'parents) suffering in such a cruel system!
Buffybee's GS has the right idea. Stultifying repetition achieves only frustration.
No SATs in Scotland.

EllanVannin Sun 12-May-19 10:58:05

I so agree with you Luckygirl. What are they about anyway ? Another way of unfairly dividing those who " weren't born academically-minded " and who'll feel as though they're on the scrapheap before adulthood has even started ?
No wonder some children have complexes ! It's all wrong.

midgey Sun 12-May-19 11:07:05

Academies, SATS, all absolute rubbish in my opinion. No room to learn anything that isn’t strictly timetabled. We need a revolution!

EllanVannin Sun 12-May-19 11:09:48

How can schools talk about mental health problems when this sort of thing's going on ? It's nothing short of psychological abuse to have young children worried to the point of sickness and their hatred of attending school !

quizqueen Sun 12-May-19 11:22:59

There really is no need for primary school children to be tested in this way. The teachers should know what each pupil is capable of, just by observation. It is just for the benefit of government statistics and to produce league tables. Parents know which schools are better than others anyway, just by having local conversations!

My granddaughter does have a Monday weekly spelling test and has the words to revise and make sentences with over the weekend, but she never got the results from her SATs, taken in year 2. Her school calls them quizzes anyway and, as she knows I love quizzes and am in a pub quiz team, so she is very pleased to say she is now doing quizzes too, to be the same as me and is very relaxed about it all.

We are all very positive about all sorts of education in our family and I feel that, if all parents acted in the same way, then children would be less stressed about school, in general. I hear so many people say to their children/grandchildren that they hated school/weren't any good at maths etc. I always exclaim enthusiastically, 'Oh, a (spelling) test, how lovely- I loved tests when I was at school; it's so fun to get them all correct.' I wasn't lying either, I loved everything about school but then my father always instilled in me, the importance of doing as well as I was able. He saw education as the only way to get out the working class, council house background he was from.

I was just talking to someone of my own age the other day and they said they thought learning grammar was unimportant. That is a bad attitude to pass on to the younger generation.

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 12:12:41

Children only get into a state about tests like stats because the adults around them build them up and neurose themselves.

My primary education was beset with tests and exams but none of the adults around us seemed bothered by them so we took them in our stride.

I even did my 11+ without knowing anything about it, other than that at a new primary school (my 8th) for the last term of my junior school education ( no school at all the previous term) a teacher asked me if I had done it and when I asked what it was took me into a classroom with about 6 other children and sat me down to do some tests.

I am sure the reason I passed well was because everyone around me was unconcerned and I was in complete ignorance of what I was doing or why, so totally unbothered.

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 12:19:28

Just read quizqueens post and I couldn't agree more. We are a family who love quizzes, and, yes, I loved tests and general knowledge quizzes when I was at school. About the only thing I shone at academically because (although I didn't know it at the time) I am dyspraxic, which meant my writing was atrocious - still is - and all my school work was constantly marked down for poor handwriting.

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 12:27:27

Several years ago, I was asked to help a young girl prepare for her SPAG test. The poor child had felt the pressure at school to such an extent that she had developed acid reflux. The school had taken children out of art and music classes to stuff them full of grammar and maths. I never heard how she got on. At the same time, GS2 was taking the tests and his attitude was quite insouciant, so his school wasn't applying similar pressure. He did well and has, by now, in Y9, probably forgotten all the grammatical terminology he had to learn then.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 12:37:27

What a lovely post qq

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 12:47:46

My dgs school keeps things very low key. It has a stable staff and is very caring and nurturing. But how much harder for schools in areas with multiple problems, high turnover of staff and shortage of resources. They are just set up to fail no matter how hard they try

Nonnie Sun 12-May-19 12:58:06

You know her best so probably know how best to approach it. The results are important as they will follow her to her next school and teachers have been known to hang labels on children which stick. I wouldn't say that to her though.

I don't understand how SATS can have gone so terribly wrong. Children have always been tested but no one seems to complain about grammar school testing. They do need to learn to be tested and deal with it because we are tested in one way or another all our lives. I think the pressure comes from teachers and parents and it is them who should change. They are adults and should be able to support children without pressurising them.

Sussexborn Sun 12-May-19 13:21:24

My GS2 was here on Thursday and mentioned in passing it was SATS next week. He didn’t appear remotely worried. As a family we tend to be in the “do your best and don’t get stressed” field.

The helicopter parenting and bullying teaching almost always back fires from what I see around me. Stressed and unhappy children who get to 14, dig their heels in and refuse to cooperate just when they approach their external exams.

The children of teachers often fare worse, as less than top level results is deemed as failure and a reflection on the parents professional skill.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 13:23:46

Well Sussex that’s a balanced nuanced post I must say.

glammanana Sun 12-May-19 14:40:41

Luckily my DGCs have passed the age for these "sats" but youngest DGS is finishing his GCSE's soon and just working out which grade means which is an exam in its self.
Years ago my eldest son attended an open night with his father and I we where discussing homework and revision with said teacher and DS1 asked if teachers where doing their job properly why was homework or revision necessary,at the time I wish I had a hole to bury myself in, but over the years I agree with him,there are some great teachers out there but some if they where paid by results they would be unemployed.
This son never revised at all and has gone on from strength to strength enjoying a good career and totally stressfree lifestyle.

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 15:16:29

I

maryeliza54 Sun 12-May-19 15:17:48

Teacher bashing thread by those who know sod all about teaching and learning

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 15:27:53

I have just read the above post and scrolled back through the rest of the thread looking for all this teacher bashing maryeliza54 mentioned and couldn't find it.

Lets face it not all teachers and parents are angels. Some are crap, some are brilliant. It is silly to pretend otherwise. Overall this thread is more supportive than other