Gransnet forums

Education

You Are Never Too Old To Learn

(55 Posts)
VisionaryDreamer Fri 17-May-19 21:05:58

Hi, I hear so many people at midlife say they are too old to learn something new, to go back to college or university to study and retrain for a new career/life path, or even just for personal interest. Or they get told by other people they are too old.
I want to say...you are never ever too old to learn a new skill whether it is for your own personal development or whether it for professional development.
In my 40's I decided to change my career having worked predominately as a secretary/account assistant for much of my career life. I went back to college and retrained to become an Holistic Therapist.
In my 50's I decided to go to university to study for a degree in Complementary Healthcare and Health Studies. At the age of 59 I not only graduated but I set up my own business. My next step is to write my own book.
My grandmother wrote her first book in her 70's.
People say you cannot teach an old dog new skills...who says that is true? It is not true! For one thing we are humans capable of learning and growing all the time.
So my powerful message is you are never too old and it is too late. If you still have dreams then pursue them. Live life to the full. Bless you! smile

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 22:53:52

confused

crazyH Fri 17-May-19 23:01:21

I'd like to write my story ......not for publishing, because nobody would read it, but for my children.

BradfordLass72 Fri 17-May-19 23:28:55

Do it crazyH it will amaze you how much you remember and the Internet now has so many resources to help.

rosecarmel Sat 18-May-19 01:25:21

Write your story, crazyH- Some of my favorite books are autobiographies-

Grandma2213 Sat 18-May-19 02:04:22

I joined a choir and because of a wonderful teacher have begun to understand music notation which was previously a mystery to me. This has all been through comments made on the side while we are learning the songs. I love the singing and the feeling of camaraderie but the improvements in my singing voice and memory of the words and tunes proves that it is never too late. You are quite right VisionaryDreamer. I am 72 and have much more to learn!

VisionaryDreamer Sat 18-May-19 14:59:12

Hi CrazyH
You never know...you might be pleasantly surprised at the interest for your books. You could also self-publish. Check out Amazon as they have a facility whereby you could self-publish via paperback or e-book. Just believe in yourself and do it. smile

VisionaryDreamer Sat 18-May-19 15:09:46

Grandma2213
That is awesome smile and thank you for sharing your tibit of wisdom and inspiration. It is sooo good to keep active and pursue things of interest, to live a little bit more, rather than slow down, sit in front of the TV and wait for old age and death. ~There is still so much to get out of life other than work and career. Life is more than just existing.
I hope your singing, choir and learning brings you so much happiness and joy Grandma2213. Bless you! smile

phoenix Sat 18-May-19 15:15:25

Although I agree that one is never too old to learn, why is the thread title all in CAPITALS?

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 15:22:12

It's not all in capitals. It's written like the title of a book.

MawBroonsback Sat 18-May-19 15:25:15

Which is why I keep expecting a link ! hmm

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 16:04:09

I think Visionary Dreamer is just having a very pleased with herself moment. And why not? smile

VisionaryDreamer Sat 18-May-19 21:12:04

Gonegirl
My intention was to encourage and inspire people who still have dreams to pursue them, that at midlife one is still young, still has a life to live. I hear too often people at midlife believe they are too old to do anything. I had people tell me I am too old to change my career, to old to go back to college, and especially too old to study for a degree, and too old to set up my own business, being told that at my age I should be slowing down.
What I am saying is age should not define anyone..so it is getting past ageism.

GabriellaG54 Mon 20-May-19 18:02:39

Learning how to spell would be a start for some.
The level of literacy is falling dramatically.

rafichagran Mon 20-May-19 18:23:22

I find this thread patronising, don't need to be told ' I can do it'
Is there any need to talk about people's spelling and grammar? Would not say I am perfect but don't need reminding about it.

M0nica Mon 20-May-19 20:10:52

I think there was a time when everyone quoted that old adage 'you cannot teach an old dog new tricks' in a complacent tone when anyone over 40 tried to do something new, but I am sure that period has long gone.

DS is an academic and he says that many universities run some Masters courses where their target audience is retirees coming back to education after retirement - and that has been happening for over 20 years. Locally there are lots of courses for the over 50s.

The papers are full of stories of older people starting businesses, achieving all kinds of successes.

I think the OP is unfortunate in that she still lives somewhere where these oldfashioned attitudes still prevail, so has every reason to pleased with what she has achieved against the odds. So many congratulations!!

Postgrad Sun 28-Jul-19 18:31:33

Age is no barrier to learning.
BA hons 1st class at 54, MA at 56, PGCE at 57!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jul-19 20:31:45

Well done Postgrad.

Coolgran65 Sun 28-Jul-19 20:52:09

I agree that you are never too old to learn. However, to just do it ???? it is not that simple.

I divorced at 48 and worked full time as a legal secretary. My son who was in second year uni asked me why I didn’t do a degree course.......

Where to start. Keeping a roof over his head for one, bills and aging parent with Alzheimer’s.

Yep. It’s not always that simple.

On the other hand for those without financial commitments or who have support, or can in some way manage to go for it I applaud you.

Go for it if you can.

52bright Sun 28-Jul-19 21:13:27

I did my degree and PGCE around age 40. Loved every minute of it and the career which came from it. I know I could do far more with my retirement than I am doing but there are reasons/excused why I don't. For one thing I am far too lazy. Thoroughly enjoy doing nothing so that's the excuse part of things. Reasons? Mother aged 88 and Mil aged 94 take a bit of time. Like to see/hang out with my grandchildren when I can. Love time walking with my husband and dog. Where does time go? I wish I knew! Maybe this September I'll start that creative writing course ...or the zumba classes...or research my family tree ...or maybe not. I sincerely wish I was doing more ...but back to original excuse ...I'm far too lazy grin

AdrianRama Sat 31-Aug-19 14:58:43

I absolutely agree with you! Moreover, we live in a world of new technologies and it’s very easy to get any information, so why not? I am already retired, but nevertheless, I continue to work as a writer. Thanks to this I learn something new every day. Basically, I write brief contents of literary works for an educational site, for example, summarystory.com/a-good-man-is-hard-to-find/, and accordingly, I read a lot. Learning is never too late, yes!|

Osimilil Wed 18-Dec-19 21:08:46

I absolutely agree with you.

Hetty58 Wed 18-Dec-19 21:18:02

Very true that you're never too old - along with that old saying 'Use it or lose it' (applies to the brain as well as the muscles)!

Osimilil Sat 21-Dec-19 12:29:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

evaiva1 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:00:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.