Gransnet forums

Education

Homeschooling parents, really so perfect??????

(72 Posts)
felice Wed 20-May-20 12:10:24

Dear parents,
why am i constantly seeing photos on FB of your perfect children in your spotless homes doing lots of amazing projects etc.
Parents I know you and your little darlings very well, and unless being stuck in a 4th floor apartment for 10 weeks has had some miraculous effect on their normal behaviour then your fibbing.
I am looking out to my Garden room which is covered in pens, pencils, books and scrunched up bits of paper.
DGS is playing in the garden with his dog and I am driving the neighbours nuts shouting for him to come in and finish todays work.
I know that wonderful model your 3 year old son did yesterday is the one you made to demonstrate a bible story at Christmas Daddy. DGS name is one of the Sunday School childrens written on the side !!!!!!!!
Please be real parents, we are all in the same boat at the moment and it is very disheartening when I or Maman and Papa are really pleased that we got the reading done and we see little Johnny has successfully applied to Cambridge.

Thank you
a fed up Grandma.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-May-20 12:24:00

felice so true, we have a five yr old GC staying with us in lockdown, we are winging it DD is letting him cook, he is gardening with GrandpaGravy and I am just enjoying having them here with lots of cuddles (newborn who moved in is not so new grin)

wildswan16 Wed 20-May-20 12:35:02

Anybody who believes anything like this posted on facebook needs their head examined.

Anybody vain enough to post this kind of stuff on facebook isn't worth bothering about.

annodomini Wed 20-May-20 12:49:03

DGS2, who is Y10 and heading for GCSE next year, is doing assignments set by his teachers. I don't think his dad, DS2, is quite au fait with the maths, though he does try. I give some help with Eng Lit. His younger brother, 12, is in a state of revolt and sounds as if he's not doing much. DGD, Y12, is working on her A-level subjects, with no need of help from parents or GM. It's a good thing none of them are in Primary School for which I think home schooling would be much more of a task. DGS2 is in a hiatus - Y11, no GCSEs and no set work. How boring! grin

felice Wed 20-May-20 12:50:50

Exactly wildswan16, even more when they are sharing it to friends who know them well.
I just needed to get it off my chest without losing it. One family I can understand it could be correct, but the rest haha.

I have one lovely friend who is in lockdown, with 3 under 5s, hubby and 2 large dogs, she is just so honest, this morning the middle one had poured his breakfast on the coffee table and was sharing with the dogs.

That's real.

Hithere Wed 20-May-20 12:58:56

Felice, judging much?

Who cares how other parents choose to educate their children?
How does it affect you?

Stop looking at it if it bothers you so much.

If you truly believe FB is the reflection of real life, you are very wrong.
People have the right to post what they they want.

felice Wed 20-May-20 13:02:56

Hithere, I don't think you quite got the point of the post, but each to their own.

Hithere Wed 20-May-20 13:11:04

May I ask you clarify what your point is?

MawB Wed 20-May-20 13:15:07

Anybody who attaches any credence to what they see on FB must be very naive.
Most of us will have heard from our AC how hard it is to be parent/ teacher/ homeworker as well as coping with isolation, financial worries and fears for the future.
So if anybody is posting pics of perfect parenting good luck to them. I personally haven’t seen any, my own DD tending more towards the Hurrah for Gin or Peter and Jane school of thought.
I’m afraid OP comes across, however unintentionally, as somewhat critical of (some) younger mothers. I am sure this was not the intention.

felice Wed 20-May-20 13:26:34

How am I being critical, if I was critical of anyone it would be me and my family, not sure where the Mothers are mentioned in my post actually.
I knew some would get it and others just use it as a chance to get nasty and critical, of me.
Well gang yersel !!!!
So to paraphrase, if you don't want to see it, don't read it.

Hithere Wed 20-May-20 13:28:35

So, what was the point of your post? I may have missed it

Marian1412 Wed 20-May-20 13:30:08

DH and myself are trying to tutor nine year old grandson by video conferencing every morning. His Dad is working outside the home and his Mum is working from home and busy on conference calls.
Some days are really quite challenging, when he’s not in the mood. He especially dislikes SPAG and no wonder when he’s expected to know what a fronted adverbial is and a subordinate clause!!
I remember being taught grammar at school and learnt without being expected to know the more complicated terminology.
Happy days!

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-May-20 13:38:47

So, what was the point of your post? I may have missed it

Looks like a bit of light-hearted despair to me. smile

I saw a post on the dreaded Facebook showing a sign someone had put in their window. Ofsted rating: bloody awful.

My DS commented that they'd been in Special Measures since day 1.

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 13:43:41

I saw your post as lighthearted too Felice. Bad luck getting jumped on! On the other hand an ex colleague of mine has posted about how impossible it is to homeschool her kids even if she tries to “hide the education “ in games etc. And she’s a teacher !! Much more realistic. Smug is a pain.

felice Wed 20-May-20 13:44:15

DD works both from home and out of the home and SIL out of the home.
So I am doing most of it, not in my first language either.
I have been turning cooking and science experiments into classes, getting him to write down ingredients as we cook things etc. As I said on a previous thread DGS hates writing, so trying to encourage that in a different way.
His class website has not really been much help as his teacher retired as soon as lockdown started so we have just been getting bits from other teachers.

Out onto my terrace now, teaching him to use a handsaw to cut down an over-enthusiastic hedge.
DS1 is a Gardener and the way this is shaping up DGS will be following in his footsteps.
Got to finish painting the stairs and the walls on my terrace and tiling the shower sometime too.
AS my Mother would say after a very loud sniff, you could stir the place with a stick and not notice the difference.
Critical moi …….

GagaJo Wed 20-May-20 13:48:55

I'm a teacher (teaching online) but one of my friends who sets work but doesn't teach it has said she's sick of parents claiming teaching is sooooo easy.

There aren't 34 other students in the room while you teach your little darlings.

The teacher has planned, differentiated and set the work.

The teacher will mark the work.

The work is about 80% easier and less challenging than usual.

I chuckled when I listened to her ranting. So many friends (like yours OP) raving about how easy home schooling is! Yeah. Right.

MawB Wed 20-May-20 14:00:29

not sure where the Mothers are mentioned in my post actually.
I knew some would get it and others just use it as a chance to get nasty and critical, of me
Well gang yersel !!!!
So to paraphrase, if you don't want to see it, don't read it

Well I think the thread title Homeschooling parents, really so perfect??? suggested criticism. Maybe perfect could have been in speech marks to indicate the sarcasm - “perfect” ?
I apologise for taking “parents” as “mothers” , basing that on the fact that FB posts are usually by women and it is a fact that more mothers take the responsibility for home schooling than fathers.
So I am sorry I didn’t realise it was meant to be ironic
Maybe an emoji or two might have helped establish the tone?
Now finally, what on earth does gang yersel mean? confusedconfused

May7 Wed 20-May-20 14:07:12

Felice I saw your posting as light hearted too. Dont be too disappointed if people lie on Facebook it seems to be the normal I joined for one day and I was amazed at the Fake stuff that had been posted. Just laugh at it or don't read it. Good luck with home schooling though

felice Wed 20-May-20 14:08:07

Maw, with that moniker like that, I thought a good old Scottish idiom would be a dawdlegrin

felice Wed 20-May-20 14:12:55

May7 I like FB especially now as we are a group of far-flung family and friends.
One of the downsides of living in Brussels is that people move around a lot, as many are here for quite short contracts. So FB is a great way of keeping in touch.

Watching DD 'helping' DGS with the saw, he is much more proficient at 8 than she will ever be.
Better get back out before there is war.

SueDonim Wed 20-May-20 14:20:33

Maybe you should take your own advice, Felice and if you don't want to see it, don't read it when it comes to FB posts.

GrannyLaine Wed 20-May-20 14:27:07

felice I completely get your OP. While we know that FB is just edited highlights, it's still exasperating. In the beginning, it drove one of my daughters almost mad with worry till she got a grip and took herself off social media for a while. Her 6 year old is a very bright little boy who doesn't enjoy school and most certainly would have failed his SATS. My first thought when I heard that schools were closing was " thank heavens DGC will be spared that" He is thriving with alternative ways of learning.

Greenfinch Wed 20-May-20 14:36:11

I am not sure where this thread is heading but on the subject of home schooling I would like to praise all the parents who take it seriously. It is no easy task. We are both ex- teachers and have Year 8 (12year old )twin grandchildren living with us. One is autistic and they both go to different state schools. We work from 10 till 3.30 by which time we are quite tired. Remote learning is very different from having recourse to text books and both children have been lent laptops by the school.How difficult it must be for families in cramped conditions and several children.

My DS has 3 children under 7 and a newborn of 2 weeks. He tries to work from home and manage the schoolwork as well while his wife recovers from surgery and concentrates on the newborn.They manage as best they can.

What about those big families on the news last night who try to manage with one smart phone which the father needs for work? Impossible ! Bring back text books I say.grin

MawB Wed 20-May-20 18:15:32

Felice gang yersel means “go, yourself”
At the risk of appearing obtuse, may I ask where and why mysel or is there another Belgo-Scottish layer of meaning of which I am unaware?

ElaineI Wed 20-May-20 19:34:48

There are some good ideas on the Facebook stream but some do seem to exaggerate. DGS1 is 6, DD teaches P1 so she makes sure he does his work as well as doing her online teaching. She does a lot with her own children and is very good at craft, baking etc. He has made videos about space and ladybirds - speaking about them which have been put on the school twitter page. His class seem to be doing what they are asked. DD own class have not been engaging much with the online learning so she is a bit upset as the teachers have zoom meetings to discuss preparations and it is all planned. It is not lack of iPads, laptops or computers as that was all checked before. However it is hard and we have a video of her, DGS and DGD age 3 round the kitchen table and often doesn't end well. The teachers feel as long as the children are doing something then they are learning and to be kind to yourself. I have seen some mothers feeling depressed though at the posts about how perfectly other mothers are coping when they feel they are not.