Gransnet forums

Education

Year 6 and 11 Induction Days and Proms all cancelled

(97 Posts)
Franbern Tue 22-Jun-21 08:52:29

Once again, it is children and our young people who are being hit with over-zealous rules.
Whilst crowds can all gather at footie matches and at Ascot, our 11-year olds are being denied their induction days at their new secondary schools AND their primary school leaver week away.
Similar for the 16 year olds, many of them moving to different schools, etc following their GCSE's.

Seems daft that these cannot go ahead, particularly as these children are mixing within their classes and year groups all of the time. So, why cannot they go for an Induction Day with each other - even if the new schools did not do it all on the one day, but had them from each school separately.

Aa for the Proms being cancelled, well I do not like the way that these (whwt used tobe Leavers Disco) have been Americanised, but surely, some sort of 'Do' should not be off the cards.

These youngsters, In my opionion, have been the ones most neglected (by the State), and ignored throughout the whole of this Pandemic - they are our future, yet have been just brushed aside, schooling stopped, visiting friends and families stopped, birthday celebrations stopped, exams mucked around with (on-0.off-on-off), induction days stopped, leaving school parties cancelled, etc. etc.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Jun-21 08:59:18

Totally agree ????

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 08:59:34

Franbern you speak my mind. No parents allowed at sports day, no speech days or prize givings. All events where families take pride in their youngsters' achievements.

love0c Tue 22-Jun-21 09:01:29

Franburn I quite agree. It is nothing short of criminal . The way our young have been treated is shocking. This has got to stop. I tend to think it will be up to us, the public to end it. Our politicians are happy to carry on. Making money out of the 'covid' and getting around any restrictions due to 'working'.

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 09:05:58

love0c

Franburn I quite agree. It is nothing short of criminal . The way our young have been treated is shocking. This has got to stop. I tend to think it will be up to us, the public to end it. Our politicians are happy to carry on. Making money out of the 'covid' and getting around any restrictions due to 'working'.

Up to the public to stop it ? Civil disobedience?
How is the government making money out of Covid ?

Soroptimum Tue 22-Jun-21 09:12:31

Totally agree. My DGD has just had to isolate for 10 days - imagine that for an 11 year old, even though she’s tested negative. Her first year at secondary school has been so disrupted.

25Avalon Tue 22-Jun-21 09:12:52

We never had induction days when I was a child. That’s not to say they are wrong. It was so bewildering going from a small primary school to secondary school.

Dd is a primary teacher and next week the year 6 children are going away on an activity week, all organised to be Covid compliant. So there is something for them. The head has also decided no maths and English catch up as it could be detrimental to their mental health - not sure I agree with this as it will affect their start at Secondary school when others are doing catch up.

eazybee Tue 22-Jun-21 09:14:48

'Politicians are happy to carry on.'
What for?
To protect the under-eighteens who are, I believe, now the most vulnerable group at risk of catching covid.

Galaxy Tue 22-Jun-21 09:22:55

Yes our school is doing numerous residential trips at the moment.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 09:50:17

Galaxy

Yes our school is doing numerous residential trips at the moment.

And that is the problem. Some schools are either too scared, confused or too lazy, so they do nothing.
I read the DFE guidelines which say parents can attend outdoor events in groups of 30s, yet some schools aren't bothering with sports days etc. They need to sometimes think outside the box and if they can't have a Year 6 prom in the school hall with a band, then come up with an outside alternative for the kids. Same for an induction day, outside. Make some kind of effort. Good on those who do.

trisher Tue 22-Jun-21 09:53:53

I've heard of residential trips and GS had a Leaver's Picnic instead of a Prom which actually seems much more acceptable in my opinion. If the school is willing to work around the rules I'm sure things can be worked out safely. Would you really want your 11 year old visiting a secondary school where there are much larger numbers of children?

adaunas Tue 22-Jun-21 10:15:13

Inductions for year 6 are such a good idea. We have had masked/visored staff from the different secondaries come to talk to the children who are moving to their schools (8 schools in total). It took some organising.
DGD went on a residential a few weeks back. It was already paid for (£320) before cancellation last year otherwise DD couldn’t have afforded it.
Sports days are going ahead without parents. In a 3 form entry school, how do you choose which 30 parents can attend? We did think about having class sports days, but that would need 21 days of guaranteed fine weather. Running on grass is now a health and safety issue.
I’m saddest about the end of year celebrations for Y6. Such fun to see them all dressed up.
Our Y6 are currently isolating because some of them tested positive for Covid. The parents are already not happy about that. Can you imagine the uproar if we had a get together and more children tested positive just before the holidays.

Teacheranne Tue 22-Jun-21 10:20:20

I have followed all the guidelines to the letter since the beginning despite the loneliness this caused to me living alone. I even agreed with the postponement of last stage of the road map so more of the population can be vaccinated, especially as I live in Greater Manchester which is an area of high incidence of the new variant.

For the first time though I am now fed up of reading about other groups of people behaving differently. There really do seem to be different rules for some, like sportspeople and politicians, who mingle in large groups, hugging each other, enjoying life etc while my Mum is still incarcerated in her care home. Maybe I’ll start ignoring the rules now that I’ve had my vaccinations.

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 10:24:54

I agree there seems to be a discrepancy between what is allowed and what isn’t.
But Ellianne why so quick to accuse schools of laziness? It’s very different for private schools with small class sizes etc to think outside the box!
At my secondary school parents never came to sports day anyway.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 10:35:32

For the first time though I am now fed up of reading about other groups of people behaving differently. There really do seem to be different rules for some, like sportspeople and politicians, who mingle in large groups, hugging each other, enjoying life etc while my Mum is still incarcerated in her care home. Maybe I’ll start ignoring the rules now that I’ve had my vaccinations.

You're not the only person I have heard who expresses those views.

I think the priority is for life to get back to normal as soon as possible for the youngest in our society and it s falling to see these people disregarding advice.

I’m saddest about the end of year celebrations for Y6. Such fun to see them all dressed up.
There are other ways to celebrate the end of primary education. A couple of years ago there was a discussion on GN about this, some posters were for and some against the dressing up/disco type occasion.

I hope that schools and parents will make an effort and find some way to make it an occasion to remember because the children have had such a strange time over the last 18 months.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 10:36:34

galling, not falling

Sarnia Tue 22-Jun-21 11:15:41

My 2 youngest GD's are in their school swimming gala this week. All held behind closed doors with no spectators, thanks to bl**dy Boris and his dithering around on India. angry

Chardy Tue 22-Jun-21 11:22:44

Those gathering for UK football matches have had to show evidence of negative COVID results in previous 24 hours or evidence of double vaccination.

M0nica Tue 22-Jun-21 11:27:00

Well. our Year 6 leaver is in a school play, I assume it will be performed outdoors, especially as it is 'Midsummer's Night Dream'. He is also going on an activity trip, staying away several days.

The secondary school he is going to, collects data from new entrants and their schools on their friendship groups in primary school and keeps them in the same class and together when they go start at secondary school. So they will have the support of their friends when they arrive at the new school.

If you live in an urban environment, where primary catchments are small and secondary schools fairly close, children can often organise support groups to travel to school together. DGD and a whole group from their school organised a walking train for the first day at secondary school. She had furthest to go so she started walking along the main road and was joined by classmates on every corner. There was quite a gaggle of them when they arrived at the school entrance, with all the security and confidence that gives.

Yes, this year will be different, but they will all have to face far worse problems in life - and probably some already have.

SusieB50 Tue 22-Jun-21 11:36:47

I so agree that the children and young people have had the hardest time of all , My twin DGC are leaving their small one form entry primary to go to a 10 form entry comprehensive . They are small for their age but fairly confident kids with plenty of friends going with them , but it would have been nice to have had an induction day . I get so cross when I see football fans hugging and shouting and our young people not being allowed to do simple activities. Also my niece at Uni in Edinburgh has just been informed her final year will once again be all on line when she goes back . Why for goodness sake they will all have been jabbed probably many will have had two by then? - Grrrr

maddyone Tue 22-Jun-21 11:55:01

As if the whole pandemic situation has not been bad enough for our children and young people, now apparently they are to be denied these rites of passage. Who has decreed that this should be the situation? Can schools not just go ahead and do it? If athletes, footballers, and Ascot can go ahead, why can’t our children take part in these activities? My grandson recently went on a two day residential with his school. He attends an independent school. Can schools choose which activities they do, or don’t do? I’m pleased he was able to participate in this important activity but confused as why other schools are not doing so.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 12:02:15

Because schools are government funded, maddyoe and have to obey the rules set out by whichever LA or Government is in charge through the RSG.
Some schools seem to be stricter than others though.

Our doctors' surgery has some rules which are questionable - when I queried one on Friday they said it was the local Healthcare Trust which had laid down the rules even though some might seem ridiculous.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:13:12

Chardy

Those gathering for UK football matches have had to show evidence of negative COVID results in previous 24 hours or evidence of double vaccination.

Not so for the fans who travel with having a ticket, just to be in the vicinity of the match.

Katek Tue 22-Jun-21 12:15:28

The school where my son teaches is still having a prize giving and a prom. They’ve hired a huge marquee and will not be putting sides up so it’s effectively outdoors. Prize giving will be socially distanced but accessible to parents. The senior students have been grouped in eights and can only dance with those in their group. Eight works out perfectly for a lot of Highland dances as well! (We are in Scotland) Not perfect but pretty inventive.

Lillie Tue 22-Jun-21 12:53:38

its not fair
at my gds school no parent can watch sports races but they all gather together in the playround when they pick up their kids. what's the difference?