Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Connecting with teen grandson

(7 Posts)
Hippie70 Wed 07-Aug-19 21:54:53

For a variety of reasons I have had no contact with my teenage grandson. I have reconnected with his mother (sons old girlfriend) and she is supportive
for me to contact him. He is extremely introverted.
I am thinking of writing him a letter to break the ice and leaving the door open for communication. Is this the best way to reach out to him?

Sussexborn Wed 07-Aug-19 22:06:25

Perhaps a short letter just saying how much you would like to meet him but keep it short. Perhaps your daughter would know best how to approach him. Teenage boys can find emotions difficult to handle.

crazyH Wed 07-Aug-19 22:07:12

Yes Hippie. I'm a great letter writer. I find it easier to put my feelings down on paper.
You say your grandson is 'introverted'....in that case, he would probably prefer to read a letter, than to talk.
I'm really sorry that things have been difficult.....but there's hope and enough time for you and your grandson to have a loving and wonderful relationship, for years to come. Good luck .

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 22:10:57

A letter sounds like a great idea. Good luck and I hope you end up with a lovely relationship with him!

Luckygirl Wed 07-Aug-19 22:16:38

Or communicate with him electronically - nothing like a trendy gran! smile

BlueBelle Wed 07-Aug-19 22:28:28

I personally wouldn’t send a letter maybe a card I d go for a short few lines not a big emotional letter or better still WhatsApp or a text or would it be better to invite his mum and him for a coffee on neutral ground he might feel more comfortable with his mum around first time
Boys rarely do letters to be honest
Don’t expect too much

lemongrove Wed 07-Aug-19 22:33:21

Send him a chatty friendly email....not too long, for a start.