Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why are younger people on Gransnet now?

(140 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:40

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums, when there are other sites more suited such as Mumsnet.

DillytheGardener Tue 28-Jan-20 16:18:47

I’m not a gran yet but I will be later this year. I’m definitely not young though (although I don’t feel old!), and my babies are all grown up so here seems like the best fit out of the two sites.

PernillaVanilla Tue 28-Jan-20 16:11:29

I'm on both - at 63 and not yet a granny I sometimes feel a bit out of it on mumsnet, and I sometimes feel a bit too outrageous for on here. It is interesting to see how the same topics attract very different topics on MN & GN

M0nica Thu 19-Dec-19 15:25:49

bettydl what a lovely description of us.^being the gran in your life^ what a compliment.

bettydl Wed 18-Dec-19 17:17:31

I came here for exactly what M0nica describes - more careful listening, thoughtful answers and experience. In my 'real' life my friends tend to be closer to the age of a Grandma than my own.

I've very close with my own Mum, but she isn't terribly interested in children so Gransnet is the 'Gran' in my life.

Framilode Mon 16-Dec-19 19:52:47

I am 73 and on Mumsnet and Gransnet.

HolyHannah Mon 16-Dec-19 19:49:54

Hetty58 -- What insightful words.

I think that what some of younger people here offer is not just a different perspective but also mindset.

I would never say something like, "I will ALWAYS 'side' with..." I look at each situation and offer advice based on the circumstances and not just be an echo-chamber of blind 'support'. That really doesn't help anyone.

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 19:22:03

I think it is because we listen more carefully, give thoughtful answers and have more experience so understand.

Yes, now and again some one pops up who is downright unpleasant, but even when someone comes on full of woe and it is clear that she has caused all her problems, we tell her so, but kindly.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 16-Dec-19 19:03:08

What Hetty58 said.

Hetty58 Mon 16-Dec-19 18:52:29

The more the merrier, I think. Younger people can be just as wise, or even wiser, than us oldies. We need viewpoints from different generations, experiences and backgrounds to get a complete picture of situations.

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 18:17:09

I get it! Some people might not have good older role models in their lives otherwise x

Elegran Mon 16-Dec-19 18:03:45

Rufus said "GNHQ is quite capable of "policing"; having drawn up the guidelines many years ago." but they don't actually do any policing unless the crime is pointed out to them by someone reporting a post - so if anyone is really upset by a post, so much so that they would like it deleted or modified or at least condemned by GNHQ, they have to refer it for moderation.

It is quicker to make a short sharp retort to the poster, if you don't mind running the risk of them reporting you for your reply, and HQ sending you a reprimand and making you stand on the naughty step.

Naty Mon 16-Dec-19 16:52:22

I came to gransnet because I wanted help with dealing with in-law issues and a new baby. These grannys know more than me, having been moms and in-laws.

petra Tue 05-Nov-19 20:07:41

I was on MN for some years before I joined GN. I was 65 at the time (2011) and thought I'd wandered into a parallel universe.

One of the first threads I read was on daytime TV. The general consensus seemed to be that you were one step up from the devil incarnate if you indulged in this heinous pass time.

I sometimes still feel very different from many posters my own age.

jeanie99 Tue 05-Nov-19 19:28:09

I don't have any problem with younger people coming onto this site.
A good mix of age groups male and female surely brings support and experience with them.

Wildrose24 Thu 24-Oct-19 08:14:36

Age to me is just a number.Most of the younger posters are seeking advice or a different perspective.I sometimes browse on mumsnet for to see younger peoples views on subjects to keep in touch with current thinking.I find it sometimes helps me to look at an issue from all angles.

SirChenjin Thu 24-Oct-19 07:36:11

Different perspectives, whether on the basis of age, religion, working/not working, life experiences and so on are a good thing surely? No two seventy year olds are the same, it’s the differences that make online forums interesting imo.

Summerlove Thu 24-Oct-19 01:07:09

I think perhaps people who are well within the target demographic of this site are just younger than some people would expect or hope.

Yes there are some who come over from other sites wanting advice, but when your lower age recommendation is 50, you’re bound to have a different perspective than somebody who is 70.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 22-Oct-19 09:56:52

Perhaps some of these young 'uns are interested in hearing the opinions of those of us who are more experienced in life. Maybe they don't have grandparents in RL.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 09:50:52

I looked a couple of times and beat a hasty retreat!

Is that what they're like in RL? shock ?

Gonegirl Tue 22-Oct-19 09:47:29

Mumsnet wsn't always the way it is now C.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 09:44:16

I don't think I would have been ready for Gransnet when I was 50.
But I would probably never have been ready for Mumsnet!! From what I've gleaned, you need to be fairly robust to go on there.

Rufus2 Tue 22-Oct-19 08:33:19

Good. With you and grandad plus another couple who I think are men, that makes 4 of you

Wrong! 5 actually! I'm schizophrenic, but we're both OK with that now! confused

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 21:07:10

That’s nice smile

M0nica Mon 21-Oct-19 21:05:50

One of those younger posters said it was because GN is more kind than MN.

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 16:17:24

I agree - although some posters here seem to be quite upset at the thought of us 'youngsters' on here. It might be better for them to do something proactive by complaining to HQ about their entry criteria rather than making comments about Mumsnet being more appropriate and how we're spoiling their site (I paraphrase obviously, but you get my drift)