Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why are younger people on Gransnet now?

(140 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:40

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums, when there are other sites more suited such as Mumsnet.

Gonegirl Sun 20-Oct-19 10:56:43

Sirchenjin grin

Now, that is a question I would definitely have expected to see somewhere like Mumsnet.

Too daft to even answer.

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 10:49:03

I thought perhaps it’s because GN is perceived as less toxic and without as much swearing. However They’ve brought the MN template with them recently it seems.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Oct-19 10:39:26

I'm happy to be one myself.
Still think its an awful name though; it sounds like it was thought up in the 1940s.

Jane10 Sun 20-Oct-19 10:33:43

I'm very happy to be Gran. Gransnet is a logical name for our demographic. We're surely intelligent enough to work out that it covers a wide age span.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Oct-19 10:24:52

I can't stand 'gransnet' as a name.
Its awful.

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 10:22:18

Why - are you defined by your grandchildren Gonegirl?

Gonegirl Sun 20-Oct-19 10:13:46

I like the name Gransnet. What else would you call it - "Peoplenet"? Doesn't have much of a ring to it does it?

It's for grans. Or should be. Even if the site owners/managers do like to emphasis the" anyone welcome" thing. Which I think, waters it down.

PageTurner Sun 20-Oct-19 03:25:24

*Bluebelle*, I agree with you about the Gransnet name.
I think it is old fashioned. Most of the posters on GN are very young at heart and have lots of advice to give that is current and up to date with the times.
I think it is great that younger people post here. They also can give advice from a different perspective and can be helpful when older Grans are coping with understanding their adult children.

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Oct-19 03:20:22

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums

Why not?

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 01:09:56

I personally think it’s the name that’s a problem Gransnet makes it sound exclusive to grandmothers (I don’t think it even obviously shows grand fathers in that title although people will argue the gran bit could be either) I think it’s an old sounding name and quite spoils the fact that even 80 year olds are often young at heart and have a lot of lifetime experiences to offer and anyway you can be a ‘grand’ anywhere thirties onward
I ve never been on mumsnet but although I m a mum and will always be a mum that’s not where my main role is now

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 00:22:34

Yes I was Red smile I posted under a lot of things so Im sure there was probably some wittering from me under Higher Education!

Did your username there include the word Red?

RedRidingHood Sat 19-Oct-19 22:08:07

I've been MN for years but find the parenting aspect no longer of interest. My DC are early 20s and I am 61. No GC. SirChenjin were you on MN under that user name? I recognise it from someone who used to post on Higher Education?

muffinthemoo Sat 19-Oct-19 21:00:33

I needed advice about family stuff from people with a better perspective about dynamics with older family members.

All the other (professional and non professional) advice I got was to go no contact with all the parents, which I wasn’t prepared to consider.

So, there’s that.

Norah Thu 03-Oct-19 18:55:44

My daughters joined GN. MN and GN is the whole boxed set. I find it good to read other version to events.

Starlady Wed 02-Oct-19 22:03:31

Agreed, Smileless.

Millie22 Wed 02-Oct-19 19:23:06

I'm on mumsnet also but it has changed so much over the years since it started. Some of the current topics would never have been discussed in a very open and aggressive manner. I think there are some good things about both sites.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 19:22:21

It’s not on the GN list, it’s an emoji on the iPhone smile

pinkquartz Wed 02-Oct-19 18:37:48

gonegirl

I can't make out what that emoji is......I can't see it on my list.....can you tell me what it says please

Smileless2012 Wed 02-Oct-19 16:41:55

"as long as we don't hurt each other" that's the most important thing isn't it Starlady especially with any of the threads on the estrangement forum, where there's enough pain alreadysmile.

Starlady Wed 02-Oct-19 13:58:51

LOL! I do some serial posting, too, when I think of other things I want to say. IMO, this just shows we're taking these issues seriously and giving them thought (not saying those who don't serial post aren't giving them thought). And maybe just as well, so no one post gets too long.

I imagine some of the young mums come here b/c they want the perspective of GPs, and some to show us that they can be hurting, too. But I don't care why. We can learn from everyone, and as long as we don't hurt each other, I think it's ok. Also, I know, as some say, that some grans are younger than others and some older women are not grans.

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 20:17:07

Nah. Just keep posting as it comes. grin

notanan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:15:30

I should use the preview function more! grin

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 20:11:26

I do that too....I think of one thing, post, then something else pops into my brain etc etc etc

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 20:09:08

Nice to see a triple run of posts there notanan.

I am not alone. smile

Hetty58 Sun 29-Sep-19 19:58:15

The more the merrier and age is immaterial, I think. We need a variety of viewpoints, from people of all ages and backgrounds for a balanced debate.