Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why are younger people on Gransnet now?

(139 Posts)
Starblaze Sat 28-Sep-19 20:51:37

Summerlove I read through most of the threads because I wanted to make sure this was a good idea and I have seen several people driven out. It starts out nice and supportive and then they are turned on for no reason I can see. I've continued to follow but I haven't dared comment till now.

Sussexborn Sat 28-Sep-19 20:44:40

Seems to be younger Mums asking for advice regarding relationships with a (slightly) older generation. Occasionally one seems to stick around for a bit but that’s fine.

Summerlove Sat 28-Sep-19 20:37:47

starblaze that seems to be very true.

Seems very spiteful and cutting ones nose off to spite their face to me

Starblaze Sat 28-Sep-19 20:31:29

Estranged children aren't wanted on the estrangement threads.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Sep-19 20:29:17

I hadn’t noticed and think it’s not a problem we live in a multi aged society unprocessed you’re in a care home or a old folks housing project neither of which would suit me I like mixing with all sorts My best friend for years. well still is, but I don’t see her much as she moved abroad was younger than my own kids

Luckygirl Sat 28-Sep-19 20:17:16

I had noticed and in the main it seems to be young mums seeking advice from those who have been through it all before; or who are struggling with difficult relationships with parents or in-laws, especially in relation to upbringing of children.

I think it is a very positive thing - and it is nice to know that there are young people who feel we might have some collective wisdom to pass on.

kittylester Sat 28-Sep-19 19:59:31

I hadn't noticed and why is this under 'Estrangement'?

sodapop Sat 28-Sep-19 19:56:14

I hadn't really noticed Peonyrose but no harm in getting a younger person's perspective on a problem.

midgey Sat 28-Sep-19 19:31:25

Some grans are young!

SpringyChicken Sat 28-Sep-19 19:30:59

I expect there are many grans on Mumsnet too.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 19:30:38

...but Mumsnet is less welcoming (possibly because of the vast quantities of alcohol they seem to consume, or say they do) than here on GN apart from when the B word is mentioned!

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 19:27:46

When I was a child there were a lot of younger grandparents. That started to change with reliable contraception. I know mums who didn't start having kids until they were in their thirties and forties.

Doodledog Sat 28-Sep-19 19:20:56

Does it matter?

Some threads are about being a gran; but others are pretty much universal. I would rather learn from perspectives of people of all ages and backgrounds than stay in a bubble of 'people like me'.

Peonyrose Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:40

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums, when there are other sites more suited such as Mumsnet.