Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Grandson

(10 Posts)
Tangerine Sat 02-Nov-19 22:02:27

If your son gets shared custody or at least more access, would he bring your grandson to see you?

Hithere Sat 02-Nov-19 21:15:13

I would encourage you to seek help for the depression.

OutsideDave Sat 02-Nov-19 17:41:50

I’m sure you are encouraging your son to advocate for getting shared custody of his son. That’s all you can do. Your relationship will undoubtedly change, but that’s to be expected after a split. Your son will have to be the one facilitate your contact with his son- please don’t harass or bother his ex partner as she’ll be losing some time with her child and it’s now your sons responsibility to facilitate contact between you going forward. Why do you think things turned nasty? Hopefully your son and his ex partner will be able to work out a positive co-parenting relationship eventually!

cornergran Sat 02-Nov-19 17:18:28

I'm so sorry marvel, such a difficult situation. Don't despair about mediation, it should focus on the best interests of the child and its highly unlikely there will be any suggestion that your son doesn't see his little boy. Don't give up hope, as others have said it is very early days and your grandson won't forget you, he's spent regular time with you so the recognition and bond will be there. I hope you can all get to a better place with this very sad situation soon.

crazyH Sat 02-Nov-19 17:15:05

Oh Marvel - that's so sad. I have no answers but just sending kind thoughts and wishes for a good outcome.

March Sat 02-Nov-19 17:01:08

If your son is the Dad he will get access to his child unless he is unsafe to be around the child.

Were you providing Childcare for your Grandson when it was your Sons days? Was he working?
Court might be best as it sounds like he didn't get to see his son because he wasn't there.

Greenfinch Sat 02-Nov-19 16:54:36

Easy to say,but please try not to give up hope.

Nonnie Sat 02-Nov-19 16:26:45

No solution just my sympathy, it must feel like a bereavement.

Smileless2012 Sat 02-Nov-19 15:52:19

I'm so very sorry Marvel. The pain myself and Mr. S. experience at having no relationship with our only GC due to our son's estrangement is indescribable, and we hardly saw the eldest who was last seen at 8 months old, and have never seen the youngest.

I cannot imagine how much you must be suffering to have lost your GS that you clearly had built a close and loving relationship with.

It is very early days, although it must feel like an eternity since you saw him last, so there is still a chance that things will settle down and you will see him again soon.

In the meantime, you are not alone and I hope that you can find some comfort in the support I know you'll receive here on the estrangement forum.

Marvel41 Sat 02-Nov-19 15:35:45

My son split with he’s girlfriend 10 months ago. To start with he was getting to see he’s son so was me and my wife who provided childcare twice a week. It has now turned nasty, my sons ex girlfriend has stopped everybody from seeing our grandson. I have not see him in 4 weeks I’m at my wits end with is leading to depression, I love my grandson so much it is destroying me. My well-being has taken a massive blow, my relationships with my grandson was unbelievable. I was teaching him so much. My son has now started mediation which I think won’t work. The cost of dragging this in court is a lot. Please help it’s tearing me and my family apart.