Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Difficult Position

(63 Posts)
Starblaze Mon 11-Nov-19 09:55:39

I have been distancing myself from a friend for quite some time. Because I am estranged from my NM I found how critical and demeaning she is about her own daughter too tough to listen to. This is unfortunately not someone I can avoid completely because we are neighbours.

Well recently her daughter refuses to talk to her. She wants me to intervene and talk to the daughter. She wants me to find out why the daughter won't speak to her and explain to her that "she doesn't know what a bad mum is compared to yours".

The thing is that I also know the daughter well and have babysat her frequently. She is a sweet, shy person and has gotten herself in a few bad situations as an adult which I feel may not have happened had her mother been more supportive.

Also, given the discussions I have had with my neighbour over the years, the daughter has given clear reasons why their relationship became distant after she moved out, my neighbour simply denies them. She will accept no fault or blame and when I have gently tried to point out she was being unreasonable, she just became angry.

I have said no very clearly several times now and my neighbour is still perusing me relentlessly.

What would you do in this situation?

Starblaze Sun 17-Nov-19 18:23:53

It hasn't been very comfortable and she ignores me but I feel a lot lighter now. I think I felt the same way Starlady, thankyou for helping me see it.

Starlady Sun 17-Nov-19 18:43:32

You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better now, Starblaze, and that this thread has helped you.

Madgran77 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:37:45

She has now accused me of being on her daughters side and that I am biased

That reaction alone proves 100% that you did absolutely the right thing!

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Nov-19 10:56:52

Oooh I really hate that; you're not on my side. Why do some people insist you have to take sidesangry.

Starblaze Mon 18-Nov-19 11:07:58

I'm on my side on this one now and it's far far away! This morning I was informed "you will be glad to know we are moving!“ and actually I am! That will teach me to try to mow a wet lawn.

notanan2 Mon 18-Nov-19 12:37:03

Lucky escape, bullet dodged etc...

Better to have seen her true colours sooner rather than later.

Hithere Mon 18-Nov-19 13:30:47

The issue fixed itself.

Hithere Mon 18-Nov-19 13:43:55

Or shall I say herself?

I wonder why she is moving... but tell you as if you have a hand in her decision of moving is just hilarious.

Starblaze Mon 18-Nov-19 13:46:20

I think maybe because her daughter won't speak to her I was an easy target. I'm so glad I stood up for myself!

Starblaze Fri 22-Nov-19 18:16:26

I only work half day on Friday and usually I do some gardening in the afternoon but it's too ridiculously wet for that. Anyway, neighbour and I quite often take turns to mow eachothers front lawns as they are joined, and turns to cut the hedge between us at the back.

Well, they must have got very wet this morning because there is now a perfect mowed line between us at the front and the hedge at the back looked odd. I went to look out the back bedroom window and there is the hedge, their side about a foot shorter than hours with a perfect line down the middle. I'm glad I was close to the loo because I nearly wet myself laughing.

Starblaze Fri 22-Nov-19 18:24:00

It was impossible to mow the lawn last week, gave up before I got to the front. Tried again earlier this week to just do the front and I still couldn't manage it. Maybe they were miffed I hadn't done my turn yet.

notanan2 Fri 22-Nov-19 22:32:14

Oh dear!