Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do I risk it?

(30 Posts)
Tempestseeker Thu 28-Nov-19 01:49:07

For background see my post entitled ‘Why”. So P text out of the blue today asking for a reconciliation.As I have no idea what I did wrong for her to stop me saying my grandchildren I do not know how I’m supposed to reconcile it! I am very suspicious for the following reasons 1. She wants xmas presents so this is why it’s timed now. 2. My son is almost out of her clutches and she is trying to use me as a pawn in her game to get him back.- I’ll let your mum see the kids and we’ll have a fresh start sort of scenario.The children being his weak point and me seeing them is what he and I want so she’s using that. 3. I have reconciled myself to her rudeness and am quite enjoying my drama free life and she can’t stand that.4. I don’t trust her and can almost guarantee that she will do a repeat estrangement if she cannot get her own way. Should I risk it and get to see my grandchildren for a short time until they are ripped away from me on her whim which will hurt me and them or shall I just say that I’m done and things go on the same- safe and drama - free and with the grandchildren safe from emotional pain.What would you do?

OutsideDave Thu 28-Nov-19 23:38:08

I’m with Bibbity. My sympathies are with p, the previous gf, and the current gf, and any future ones OP’s son starts dating. My guess is that OPs going to be having a lot of DIL drama in her future, regardless of whether p sticks around or not.

Tangerine Thu 28-Nov-19 23:42:03

I think I'd give it a try. If you don't try, she might say you weren't interested. Let's hope things work out.

Madgran77 Fri 29-Nov-19 05:44:18

I think your grand children's best interests are the priority here and GagaJo gives wise and thought provoking advice.

Whatever the reason"s for your son's complicated relationships, or his partners/ex partners behaviour the children deserve to be the priority for everyone!

Starlady Fri 29-Nov-19 21:08:05

Thanks for explaining further, Tempestseeker! I'm another one who would take a chance and see the GC. After all, as others have said, once the split is compete, DS will probably have some visitation and be able to share some of his time w/ you. Even if he gets back together w/ P and she finds a reason (or "reason") to cut you off again, chances are, things will change again as time goes on. In fact, you may be the main source of stability in these children's lives, so I think I would be there for them whenever I could.

But if you're too uncomfortable w/ the idea, I would at least send cards and gifts, as some have suggested. Please try to keep some kind of contact and give them all the love you can.

As far as DS' romantic history is concerned - IMO, some posters are being overly critical. It's not unusual for someone to begin a new relationship before a previous one is fully over. In fact, I believe that's very common. In the first thread, it did seem as if you were critical of P for being the girl that DS left XDIL for. Do you think she sensed this and that if affected her treatment of you? I'm also not clear on whether or not following her rules for her kids has been part of the problem w/ her. Do you feel she's "too rigid" (my words) perhaps? And that you just can't observe her rules, and so risk another CO? If you don't feel comfortable w/ her rules, that might be another reason for doing no more than sending the GC gifts, etc.