Gransnet forums

Estrangement

DH an EAC - my children

(35 Posts)
bettydl Fri 06-Dec-19 09:54:14

I'm posting here hoping to get a bit of advice as this forum always seems very kind.

5 years ago my husband became estranged from his parents. I'm not sure how much to explain about the estrangement - but it was on their side and nothing to do with anything my husband had done (as far as a reasonable person would be concerned). He tried to call them to establish contact, but we haven't heard from them since.

I have two daughters - ages 6 and 3. Since we last heard from my husbands parents 5 years ago the girls don't know them at all and have never asked about them. I'm worried if they do ever come back into our lives they will drop the contact again, and this time it will happen to our very loving girls. The estrangement was terribly stressful at the time.

My plan is that if they do make attempts to get back in touch we could have a period of just the adults seeing each other for 6 months before we introduce the children. There is ZERO sign of them wanting to see us again but I do find the estrangement stressful still after all these years and want to be prepared if they do get in contact. Has anyone been in this situation before? What is reasonable and best for our children?

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 19:55:28

Hmmm... It sounds like they're aiming for a brief visit in a public place, anticipating/fearing drama. While I get that, given the bad history, I also agree that it's as if they are treating you two as an "afterthought."

Regardless, IMO, you are right to follow DH's lead in this. If he doesn't feel comfortable w/ this idea, then there's no point in meeting them.

bettydl Mon 16-Dec-19 07:32:36

Thank you everyone. Focusing on getting on with enjoying Christmas. We have Father Christmas visit coming up and panto.

Starylady - trying not to dwell on it but unfortunately DHs parents are not averse to drama or being difficult. DH is Grade A in avoiding awkward situations or smiling through anything.

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:20:59

He sounds like Mr. S. bettysmile.

Hopefully by not going to see his parents you can avoid drama and difficulties. The Father Christmas visit and panto sound great; have fun.

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 09:59:28

That's so sad. My mum always said she just wasn't that maternal. I said she could see my children but she didn't want to and then she moved and I don't know where she is now. You both sound lovely and I'm sure your babies will be fine x

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Dec-19 10:12:55

I just don't understand why a GM wouldn't want to see her GC.

We don't know ours because we're not allowed any contact with them and it's been that way for 7 years now. I suppose if the GP's don't care the GC are better off without them.

Chewbacca Mon 16-Dec-19 17:42:18

An indifferent, uninterested GP is worse than an absent GP imo. Children struggle to understand why someone who is supposed to love and care for them is just not bothered about them and has very little/no interest. From my experience, they keep trying to catch their GP's attention and then worry that they've done something "wrong". Flyingfree, you're children are best off without their GPS.

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 18:01:22

I've never really looked at it that way @Chewbacca, it's just really sad. I'm sure that isn't what she would say but I know the truth x

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Dec-19 18:12:23

I agree Chewbacca I just can't understand why any GP fortunate enough to be in their GC's lives would be disinterested. What we wouldn't give to be a part of ourssad.

Sussexborn Mon 16-Dec-19 18:19:45

Be very cautious. My paternal grandmother was a nasty person who was furious when her children married. She especially hated that my Mum was Irish! She eventually got what she wanted and split my parents up. She would deliberately let her badly trained dog loose on me knowing how frightened I was. She even inferred that I was a tart when I was 10 years old and still reading Famous Five books. Luckily my other Gran was totally different.