Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Positives after estrangement

(80 Posts)
Starblaze Tue 10-Dec-19 20:43:41

What are your positives since estrangement?

I've lost lots of weight. I look after my physical and mental health. I've identified and distanced toxic relationships. I've developed a stronger relationship with others and brilliantly my children. I no longer need medication for anxiety and depression. I am a stronger more confident person. I have developed my career and retrained. I actually like myself as a person now, I think that might be my favourite

What are your positives? How are YOU taking responsibility for your own happiness?

rosecarmel Sun 15-Dec-19 23:58:53

I owe it to myself to forgive others, in face to face situations and those that arise in my mind from the past- It provides me with the freedom to love myself and forgive my own shortcomings as well as the shortcomings of others be they close, at an imposed distance or dead- Doing so sets a positive example for my children, equally as much as setting boundaries and being consistent-

Forgiveness doesn't excuse what happened- It does make one less fragile, enabling one to examine matters more closely and gain a better understanding of the circumstances with compassion instead of looking at it thru the lenses of bitterness and resentment-

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 09:29:39

Yes! I've lost weight and have less anxiety too. Sometimes still get very depressed. Best thing I have learnt is to never be the reason for someone else's bad day x

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:31:46

"never be the reason for someone else's bad day" that's lovely FlyingFreesmile.

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 09:32:39

❤️