Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How is everyone doing?

(80 Posts)
Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 12:41:27

We have been reduced to a skeleton staff so I only have 1 day at work a week. Feels very strange. Missing all the children at school. Went shopping this morning, was a very strange experience. Oldest son working huge long days as a key worker, delivering food to most of the village. I feel very odd, like I'm rushing around when I don't need to. How is everyone else getting on? Xx

Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 17:09:03

www.nwssp.wales.nhs.uk/esr-community-hub.

Annie, this might be worth a call.

rosecarmel Thu 02-Apr-20 17:05:13

I'm in a state where driving is permitted- Everything is closed except essential business- One could walk the roads where I live, and do- But due to rolling hills with limited sight distance, deep drainage ditches, and very little space between the street and ditch makes it precarious for the walker- Or runner- Or cyclist- Not all drivers are considerate- It's a more rural suburb ..

Starblaze Thu 02-Apr-20 13:53:40

Everything will be OK, we are going to come out of the other side of this together.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 13:17:24

Starblaze my GP referred me to social services some time ago, it was all arranged but now all cancelled. There is a need
for more carers , more so now. If only I had use of my hands,
but I haven’t so have to accept it, others worse off than me.

Starblaze Thu 02-Apr-20 12:05:43

Anniebach try not to worry too much about what you can't do and focus on taking care of yourself until someone can help. Let your doctor know or 111, they may be able to get a volunteer to you.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:32:48

You're welcome Annie I just wish I could do more; take care x

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 10:00:41

Thank you Smileless means a lot

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:51:40

AnnieflowersAll I can do is keep you in my prayers and I will.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 09:01:35

Sparkle, I can’t get help, the church is closed, my granddaughter lives 50 miles away, I am struggling with everyday things, cleaning the bungalow, changing bed linen,
can’t even cut toe nails ! Can’t find a cleaner, no one is going to
houses to clean. Can have shopping done but struggling with
problems in my home.

LaRia44 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:17:35

Rosecarmel, We are not supposed to drive. I gave up driving to a country park, a six mile return trip, with a lake to have a lovely walk coming home feeling restored. Now I walk round country lanes, dodging cars and vans. I’m trying to do my bit, and I’m really grateful that I’m still healthy at 76 and can do this. I would not cope well if we had compleat lockdown. Please let’s all stick to the rules and get through this ASAP.

Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 08:06:05

How am I doing? Badly.

Sparkling Thu 02-Apr-20 08:03:11

It must be particularly hard for those of you estranged from your family, know how hard you have worked towards reconciliation.
Anniebach, you sound in need of help straight away, couldn't your local council or church find you any. I assume your granddaughter is getting your shopping.
Bradfor Lass, you are right, you go through solitude every day, we all take a lot for granted.

Starblaze Wed 01-Apr-20 10:07:48

It's a shame so many sweet types don't make it here in the estrangement threads. Two things seem to happen. They either get bullied away or they get overwhelmed with the notion that they are faulty, broken, in need of fixing. Or both.

All estranged children need to heal from trauma. They shouldn't have to come here and experience exactly the same things that caused estrangement.

rosecarmel Mon 30-Mar-20 18:31:48

Stay safe, Yennifer-

Yennifer Mon 30-Mar-20 14:30:59

Wish you all the best but I have to leave after some nastiness I don't need right now. Really wanted to say I hope you all come through all this safe and secure. Best of luck all x x

Yennifer Mon 30-Mar-20 10:16:23

I've just seen on my friends Facebook that she has been meeting her elderly neighbour every day for a cup of tea and a chat over the fence with distance of course. How lovely is that? x

Yennifer Mon 30-Mar-20 09:46:49

Bradfordlass, after this my children will be looking into the adopt a grandparent scheme, no one should be alone x

littleflo Mon 30-Mar-20 09:30:46

Even though we get on well as a family, we are not great communicators. Just the odd phone call or text now and again.
All of mine are key workers, but they have been great at keeping in touch to find out how we are. I find it very reassuring and life affirming.

I really hope this gives us an insight into what life is like for those less fortunate, like Bradfordlass.

Smileless2012 Mon 30-Mar-20 09:22:54

Thank you for sharing that Bradfordlass it's good to be reminded that for the majority of us these restrictions are temporary, but for some it's their way of life.

That's lovely rosecarmelsmile

rosecarmel Mon 30-Mar-20 05:46:09

Gratitude

Chewbacca Mon 30-Mar-20 05:26:07

Very well expressed BradfordLass; you're right to point this out and highlight just how fortunate many of us actually are. This would be a good time for many of us to start counting our blessings.

Txquiltz Mon 30-Mar-20 05:19:54

BradfordLass73's posting was appreciated. Physical restrictions are a form of daily isolation for so many year in and out. If fortunate, you have a spouse able to assist and break the tedium. People with these limitations need social interaction just like everyone else. The current isolation is at best difficult for all and in no way do I wish to diminish those experiencing it.

BradfordLass73 Mon 30-Mar-20 05:09:11

Reading all the problems encountered by those in lockdown, I feel exceptionally lucky that being confined to the house (albeit unwillingly) is my usual lifestyle.

I can't go shopping when I wish, not even for essentials.
Can't go to the local park nor see friends or family.
I cannot even get to hospital or other health appointments without the aid of the St John Shuttle.

No casual meet ups for coffee, no outings with my grandson, no country walks.

If I want to do any of these things, it takes planning well in advance and often I must wait even then, until it's convenient for someone to help.

But I know for sure I'm not the only one.

Our Anniebach has a similar lifestyle.
Two young neighbours in the next street both have MS and are confined to wheelchairs. They can go out only in their converted vehicle but rarely do, other than to a supermarket.

So if you are confined to barracks only because of the emergency restrictions due to C-19, look forward to the time when you'll be free.

For many people, that freedom will never come.

Yennifer Sun 29-Mar-20 15:58:33

Totally lost my mojo today. Actually caught up on some sleep but feel very tired. Hope everyone is having a good Sunday x

Yennifer Sun 29-Mar-20 12:40:28

Totally agree Iron flower lol congratulations on your new addition x