Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How is everyone doing?

(79 Posts)
Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 12:41:27

We have been reduced to a skeleton staff so I only have 1 day at work a week. Feels very strange. Missing all the children at school. Went shopping this morning, was a very strange experience. Oldest son working huge long days as a key worker, delivering food to most of the village. I feel very odd, like I'm rushing around when I don't need to. How is everyone else getting on? Xx

Septimia Fri 27-Mar-20 14:51:45

It's odd, isn't it? DH says it's like Sunday every day. I don't have a problem with not going out - plenty to do at the moment - it's the fact that I shouldn't go out that makes it strange.

BBbevan Fri 27-Mar-20 15:02:31

Apart from wondering what day it is I am quite enjoying it.DH and I have done loads in the garden. Cooked together and even though we have always done a lot together we are not falling out. We miss the family very much , but , hey, imaging the reconciliations when this is all over

EllanVannin Fri 27-Mar-20 15:42:11

I'm just getting to the annoyed stage now where most are abiding by the rules of socially distancing yet planes are still coming in and taking off. Who are these people ? Will they be tested ?

Daisymae Fri 27-Mar-20 15:43:55

The planes are inexplicable. China has drastically reduced the number incoming.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:49:22

I'm managing reasonably all right. I spend a lot of time alone so I'm used to making use of my time.
I communicate with family by email, phone and text.
I shop on Sunday mornings - the last two have been quite extraordinary. After the mad rush it was as quiet as the grave which was quite pleasant in a way.
We'll appreciate 'normal' when it returns, won't we?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 27-Mar-20 15:49:54

Shutting the boarders should have been the first thing undertaken, but no its still going on. Mad.

I am loving this isolation, it seems to be stress free and we still go out for exercise each day. Today I even found somewhere open that is doing takeaway coffees and tea so I have somewhere to stop on my bike rides. Great. It does feel like everyday is a Sunday and yesterday I thought it was Friday and couldn't understand why my favourite programmes weren't on the TV. Keep happy everyone and most important... relaxed.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:50:58

We are on the Gatwick flight path on the south coast and have not noticed a single plane for a few days now. Mind you they are pretty high when they fly over so easy to miss I guess.

Apart from that getting on fine.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:53:09

On the Television, they said that the flights are mostly repatriating Brits and carrying freight.
Possibly true.....the chap had some letters after his name (something to do with Air Transport, but I was only half listening)

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 16:12:14

I go out for a drive and then a stroll, have cleaned most of the house, have no washer or dryer so had a washboard delivered and am washing everything by hand, the idea of going to a laundromat during a pandemic seemed too petri-dishy, preparing simple things to eat, chipping away at yardwork, reading, reading, reading, listening to music, just started watching High Fidelity, the show not the movie, it's an awesome new redo, sitting in the sun when it comes out from behind the clouds, today I saw a pair of ducks in the creek and a blue bird just above them in the brambles ..

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:06:41

I've had groceries delivered, they discontinued curbside pickup due to volume, they had run out of refrigerated space to keep the groceries temperature controlled until pickup-

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:33:42

I'm the same Septimia staying in doesn't bother me but knowing we can't go out makes me want too!

We've taken our dogs out separately so they get 2 walks a day and have tried to find out if we can also go out on our bikes, or if walking the dogs counts as are 30 minute outside exercise, but the information isn't clear; does anyone here know?

We went to Aldi this morning and got everything we needed, including toilet rolls{smile]. Who'd have thought that being able to buy toilet rolls would bring such joy.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 17:38:39

We have only seen two planes all week, both coming in so presumably British people wanting to come home.

Opening the curtains each morning to a beautiful day, spring flowers blooming, trees in blossom, then remembering the dystopian nightmare beyond is quite surreal.

Madgran77 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:54:24

Well, I still have an old balance scale with brass weights!! I knew I was hitting slight boredom scale when I found myself today digging out an ancient tin of Brasso (at least 20 years old, not dried up!) and washed and polished all my brass weights! Rather liking their lovely shininess now though so an excuse for some more baking tomorrow! smile

Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 18:00:56

I'm running out of things to reorganise too Madgran77 and it's only my first day at home lol x

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:05:24

Oh well done Madgransmile I'm hoping to be able to find my silver polish which I'm sure is lurking somewhere in the utility room so I can clean my silver tomorrow.

Who'd of thought we be looking for things to cleanshock.

Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 18:35:16

Anything take your mind off it really x

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Mar-20 20:23:53

Found my silver polish Madgran so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. Shall we have a competition to see which is the shiniest, your brass of my silver?

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-20 20:33:24

Tonight is the first time I've felt a bit down. I think it's the prospect of crappy weather over the weekend when it's been so nice to be outside working in the garden every day.

Judging by the constant pinging of my message bleep, I think family and friends are feeling the same. One week down and how many more to go??

Never mind. As Terry Wogan used to say.....Mustn't Grumble!!

Yennifer Fri 27-Mar-20 21:29:34

I think we are all running on adrenaline Merlotgran, everyone is starting to crash x

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-20 21:37:22

I think you're right, Yennifer. It's been a frantic week trying to get food deliveries sorted, cleaning, managing deliveries safely, planning meals, watching daily updates, keeping up with the family, worrying, not worrying,

No wonder we're all a bit frazzled. grin

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Mar-20 23:13:54

Hopefully we'll all settle down with the new rules and regulations and things wont feel so frantic merlotgransmile.

Madgran77 Sat 28-Mar-20 08:17:06

Smileless silver is always shinier than brass so I think you are onto a winner!! This morning I woke up at 5.00 am,, couldnt sleep so came downstairs and chopped up onions, chucked them in balsamic vinegar and caremalised them.. decided we are having a goats chees and onion flan tonight ...oops, have we got any goats cheese??? Duh!! So now it's going to be caremalised onion, a tiny bit of feta, half a chopped pepper and some squashy cherry tomatoes!! Will let you know what its like!!! ??

Chewbacca Sat 28-Mar-20 08:24:41

Not a great deal has changed for me; I mainly work from home 3 days a week anyway, so that's no different. The days that I usually have GC have been spent garden fence painting which is strangely therapeutic! Every evening I've had a long phone chat with friends; daily video calls with the family and exchanged long emails with GN friends. So all in all, not too bad at all! smile

Anniebach Sat 28-Mar-20 08:47:56

I am use to living alone, but really have problems with cleaning my bungalow. My granddaughter cleans for me but
can’t come now. Hands badly twisted so can’t vacuum, wash
kitchen floor, failed to change bed linen.

Very disappointed that my plans to buy an electric wheelchair
in April have been squashed. Can’t leave my bungalow.