Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Hatton Garden pensioners

(34 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 19-May-15 19:07:55

They do it because it makes the news more sensational.

HildaW Tue 19-May-15 19:06:48

Age does not suddenly make people better/different. If someone was athief/criminal in their 20s/30/40s then they are just as likely to still be up to no good in their 60s and 70s.

Or is the press trying to make out that once you are over 70 your criminality is somehow less serious?

FlicketyB Tue 19-May-15 19:06:29

I have put a complain in with Feedback and I am thinking about making a formal complaint.

FlicketyB Tue 19-May-15 19:05:50

I noticed them say they were all British, but I gather that is because rumours had been going round that the job was done by an Eastern European gang. I didn't hear the bit about white men, possible that wasn't said on R4.

I do not mind them mentioning ages, but why single out the three over 65 and why call them pensioners? What evidence do the BBC have that these three men are actually drawing state, or any other pensions as distinct from simply being over 65?

Ana Tue 19-May-15 19:01:48

Yes, I know roses - and they'd probably add the value of Mrs Bloggs' house as well!

rosesarered Tue 19-May-15 18:59:00

Not sure Ana, but the British press has always loved ages..... As in Mrs Bloggs ( aged 39) said that the serial killer next door was ever such a nice man and kept himself to himself.

Ana Tue 19-May-15 18:51:52

I thought it struck an odd note when the reporter started off by saying that 'nine white men' had been arrested, aged between etc.

If the men had all been black, would that have been one of the first things we were told about them? confused

rosesarered Tue 19-May-15 18:47:35

It is a bit surprising though, isn't it?I imagined they were all young men, or middle aged at most.I wonder if the police had a good idea who the gang were all along?

FlicketyB Tue 19-May-15 18:44:00

On R4 news this evening it announced that 9 men had been arrested for the big Hatton Garden burglary at Easter. The announcer said that the ages of the men ranged from 48 - 76. The next sentence said that three of the men were pensioners aged (I think) 67,71 & 76.

AIBU to think that this was pointless and unnecessary remark that added nothing to the story but features in my canon as a classic bit of ageism.

The people who wrote this news item obviously thought that the idea of three men over 65 robbing safe deposits was exceptional and obviously laughable. Wait for Friday and the News Quiz and all the jokes about burglars with Zimmer frames, forgetting where they are and what they are doing.