Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Bossed around

(70 Posts)
Dorita Thu 22-Aug-19 22:11:51

I've noticed that now Im nearer 60 I get bossed around alot, by just neighbours voicing their opinions in a not very sociable way. Do others find this,. I would never of been outspoken and rude with older people when i was a younger age. Is society changing - for the worse?

Bathsheba Thu 22-Aug-19 22:15:18

Not noticed this at all. The only person who bosses me around is my 5 year old granddaughter ?

Dorita Thu 22-Aug-19 22:18:44

Lol aah

crazyH Thu 22-Aug-19 22:20:42

No, not neighbours or friends, but my daughter. She thinks she knows it all.....she doesn't really, but I let her think she does ?

Dorita Thu 22-Aug-19 22:21:12

Im the happy one, everyone else isn't then !

tanith Thu 22-Aug-19 22:25:23

No my neighbours are all nice people who often ask me what colours bins need to go out this week as no one can remember ??

Tangerine Thu 22-Aug-19 22:40:22

I can't honestly say I've noticed this and I'm quite a bit older than you.

I admit that sometimes my children assume I know less about technology than I actually do but I don't think they mean to be unkind.

annodomini Thu 22-Aug-19 22:49:11

I have very helpful younger neighbours who have done me many good turns but I could never accuse them of bossing me! My DSs usually treat me as an equal which they have earned the right to do.

SueDonim Thu 22-Aug-19 23:41:01

I can't say that I've noticed anyone bossing me about, apart from my dds. But then they've been doing that since the days they were born, so no change there! grin

paddyann Fri 23-Aug-19 00:40:26

No not happening to me ,maybe its the vibes your giving off .

stella1949 Fri 23-Aug-19 01:51:09

No, not me. My daughter bosses me, but then she was doing it when she was a little one . Nobody else does it. Maybe you just have bossy neighbours.

Summerlove Fri 23-Aug-19 02:11:27

I would never of been outspoken and rude with older people when i was a younger age.

Maybe this is the problem? You are expecting deference and instead are treated like a peer?

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 05:39:20

People are far too scared of me to boss me about.

<evil laff>

Loislovesstewie Fri 23-Aug-19 05:54:16

No. I'm the bossy one!

M0nica Fri 23-Aug-19 05:58:21

BradfordLass, absolutely. I have been told I have an air of authority.

kittylester Fri 23-Aug-19 07:12:59

Not a scenario I recognise.

TerriBull Fri 23-Aug-19 07:16:17

No I can't imagine being bossed around by anyone other than the grandkidsgrin

Willow500 Fri 23-Aug-19 07:22:21

No I don't get bossed around by anyone and in fact found it was the older people who were often ruder than the youngsters when I was younger! My neighbours are younger than us (now) and are great.

sodapop Fri 23-Aug-19 07:59:48

Same here, I'm the bossy one. I often have to bite my tongue when others seem like they could not organise a p* up in a brewery. grin

notentirelyallhere Fri 23-Aug-19 08:54:15

I think people in general are more willing to voice their opinions than was once the case, maybe encouraged by social media.

I don't feel bossed around but I do find, as I get to my mid 60s,responses that often feel patronising and having things explained to me that I know only too well. I've assumed it's ageism kicking in.

I'd LOVE to hear how to exude an air of authority! I have noticed this in some people but usually they're spouting so-called facts, which I often know are wrong, coupled with an inability to listen! grin

fizzers Fri 23-Aug-19 08:56:20

I find my daughter trying to boss me around, she sometimes speaks or messages me in a condescending manner and then tries to blame me when I don't fall for it. Unfortunately we are not talking at the moment.

luluaugust Fri 23-Aug-19 09:44:43

I'd like to see them try!

b1zzle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:13:01

Once we're passed a certain age I think some other people see us as being in need of guidance and assume that their pearls of wisdom will set us back on the right path. How wrong they are!

grandMattie Fri 23-Aug-19 10:13:23

I’m not an assertive person (although opinionated), so I’ve been bossed around my entire life. I do find that my DGD1 is extremely bossy towards me, together with any one who perceives me as old, female, married, etc... ☹️

jaylucy Fri 23-Aug-19 10:13:54

I can't see why you think that you are being bossed about!
Younger people don't seem to have any problem with stating most of their opinions, whether they are right, wrong or you agree with them!
People in general nowadays seem to have less respect for other people - I have had new neighbours move in next door and the noise they make in their back garden and in their house is unbelievable -but then the chap that lived there before for a number of years was so quiet that you hardly knew he was there! Apart from when he used to sweep his chimney at 7.30 on a Sunday morning - the houses are semi detached!