Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Over 75 best exercises

(70 Posts)
honeypot43 Sun 29-Nov-20 06:53:18

I am fairly fit for my age, but have never been keen on exercise. I know I should try but legs ache and because I now live in a bungalow and happily don’t have stairs, I am losing muscle strength. The trouble is exercise is not very pleasurable, I have to make myself go for short walks but would much rather sit at my desk and do something creative, this is not good

CanadianGran Sun 29-Nov-20 07:08:03

I do think walking is the best exercise. Maybe you can lengthen your walks to 30 minutes a day?

I love yoga as well, and you would be surprised the strengthening aspect of it. You can find yoga classes on line or in a book from the library.

cornergran Sun 29-Nov-20 07:10:19

Our GP warned us about ‘bungalow legs’ when we moved here *honeypot’. Structured exercise doesn’t appeal to either of us. We walk as much as we can, use stairs in shops (when they are open), walk up hills no matter how slowly, walk a lot on the beach in soft sand. I have what I call my pedally thing, no room here for a full exercise bike so just the pedals. We both use it if we’ve not been able to get out. A physio advised using it from different seating positions to exercise upper leg muscles, can do it in front of the tv switching from a dining chair to the sofa. I think it’s very individual, find something you will be able to sustain. I’ve done yoga in the past when I could access a class specifically for people with physical limitations, sometimes do a bit of that but dislike doing it alone. Pilates interests me so may have a go at that once the virus permits. I’m sure people here will have all sorts of ideas, just try them out and see what works for you.

tanith Sun 29-Nov-20 07:23:03

I’m over 70 and before COVID I went to the gym twice a week but since the first lockdown have walked. At first I found it boring and and a chore any excuse not to do it, I would have music playing on my phone but the more I did it the more I enjoyed it. I’ve abandoned the music and take more notice of my surroundings, the birds, the trees and people I now regularly meet on my walk. Start with a short walk choose a different route each day and you may find it becomes enjoyable. I bought a cheap step counter and find it very motivating.
Remember you are in charge of your own health only you can do this. Come on off your chair ?‍♀️

Greyduster Sun 29-Nov-20 08:05:50

We walk as much as we can, but swimming was our pre-covid go-to. I didn’t particularly like it, but felt better for the full work out it gave. Our pool is open but I just can’t convince myself that it’s either safe or convenient at the moment.

honeypot43 Sun 29-Nov-20 08:42:10

Thankyou for your helpful comments, I must try harder I don’t think I have any endorphins, going for walk alone isn’t great but better if a friend comes with me, I think I’m getting lazy and wish t didn’t matter

lemongrove Sun 29-Nov-20 08:58:36

That’s where having a dog comes in handy ( not that I have one) but they get you out on a walk every day.
Walking is a habit...like anything else, once you start doing it you’ll want to carry on doing it ( unless the weather is atrocious.)Be determined, and start with short walks.

Witzend Sun 29-Nov-20 09:17:29

‘Bungalow legs’ really rang a bell, @Cornergran.

When they were mid and late-ish 60s my folks moved to a bungalow - not because they’d particularly wanted one, but because it was all they could find in their chosen area.

Roll on 3 years, and they decided they didn’t like the area after all, and moved again, to a house.
It was only then that they realised how the lack of stairs had affected their fitness, though eventually they regained their ‘stairability’.

I know she was very lucky in that respect, but my mother was still managing stairs well when she moved to a care home (dementia ?) at 89.

Witzend Sun 29-Nov-20 09:20:11

Should have added, I did read recently that one good exercise for over 70s is getting up from sofa or chair without using hands or holding on to anything. Repeat 10 times if you can, for core strength, as I think they call it.

Gingergirl Sun 29-Nov-20 10:38:00

I’m not over 75 but I’d recommend regular walking and regular tai chi classes. I started these when I was really unwell and couldn’t have done anything else and I think they’re great. You could also have a look online and try out a few gentle videos...see if you like them...Joe Wicks does an easy 10min exercise class for older people. He started it during the first lockdown and it’s quite good fun.

cangran Sun 29-Nov-20 10:38:45

I don't enjoy long walks on my own but do when walking/talking with a friend. If you know any others nearby who might enjoy a walk, do ask if they'd like to join you for a regular walk. It's best if you're both at about the same level/speed and that you enjoy each other's company so you look forward to your walks. I also did Joe Wicks 10 minute video exercises (there are 3 or 4) for older people at the beginning of the first lockdown when not going out.

Theoddbird Sun 29-Nov-20 10:46:10

I have a peddle thing that I can use when sitting. I also use a walkasize DVD which gives you two one Mike walks plus stretching Just bought resistance bands which can be used in many ways.

HeatherGirl Sun 29-Nov-20 10:50:03

Walking is the best for your physical and mental well being.
A lot of people listen to audio books or music, when walking alone. I always listen to radio 2 when out for a jog (some might call it a fast walk!).
I also think a stepper might help. Trying to increase your number of steps each day?
There are some brilliant gentle/ beginners yoga sessions on YouTube.
Keep on moving....

helgawills Sun 29-Nov-20 10:51:36

I have a lung condition and was referred for physio a couple of years ago to learn suitable exercise. We did a mixture of cardio (fast walking and exercise bike) and weights.
For legs step ups, sit to stand somebody mentioned, and my favourite, ankle weights to walk around with or sit on a chair and do 10 lifts per leg, up to 3 sets. Since lockdown I have bought a pair of 1kg weights and love to use them. Different weights are available, you might want to start with 500 g.
Good luck!

Quilty Sun 29-Nov-20 11:00:35

I have 'Forrest Gump' syndrome. I start walking and just keep going. Luckily it's a circular route so I'm not too far from home .

Jillybird Sun 29-Nov-20 11:03:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

inishowen Sun 29-Nov-20 11:05:05

Before covid i went toPilates every week. I know I could do it at home but I have no motivation. I have developed painful knees and a sore hip in the last six months. My own fault, too much time sitting reading, knitting or watching TV.

annab275 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:09:26

I have just dusted the cobwebs off my rebounder (Mini trampoline) and started using this. It’s a lot of fun and i too live in a bungalow. Just a few minutes at a time gives a great all over work out.

henetha Sun 29-Nov-20 11:09:27

I have to do exercises every day for my back and sometimes it seems such a chore. But if I put music on, something a bit lively, that makes all the difference. Don't aim to do too much at once. Just ten minutes now and then is better than nothing.
And short walks too, three or four a week, again listening to music if you can.

trisher Sun 29-Nov-20 11:10:33

I did Tai Chi for years and loved it, but I'm not sure how much muscle it builds. I started Joe Wicks 10 min sessions as well. I find him a bit irritating but it is good for you. I'm also doing a Pilates beginners class on Zoom. The woman who teaches it is amazing very supportive and it is building muscle I can tell by my waistline.

Madbird37 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:11:15

Since I haven't been able to go to lesuire centre for palates, I have been doing a daily tai chi work out on u tube, it's only 20 mins long but great for arm and leg strength. Also walking more in local park and beach when weather permits.

Grandmama Sun 29-Nov-20 11:13:52

I'm early 70s. I walk a lot, during this lockdown I haven't taken the bus and have tried to walk 5 miles a day whenever possible. My hips became very sore a couple of months ago but I kept on with walking and they're OK now. I stiffen up a lot when I've been sitting for a while but soon loosen up with movement. Tai chi is good but there isn't a group near me. From what I've read walking is brilliant for all sorts of reasons - mental health, keeping the grey cells working etc. DH needs to use the stairlift but I always use the stairs - must go up them a hundred times a day! There are lots of exercises on the internet that you can do from a sitting position.

mar76 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:14:43

I go walking every day but the thing I miss most is my 3 swims a week. Our pool has been closed since March. I religiously do my exercises every morning and hoping for hand weights in my 'Christmas' stocking as I have progressed from using tins of beans.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:20:50

Hi This is what I enjoy doing, I, too, live in a Bungalow (but it has a pretty steep drive which I find a challenge.

Schellea Fowler who is Australian and hosts these exercise has quite a variety to keep you going.
Good `luck

fabulous50s.com/the-benefits-of-a-seated-workout-for-women-over-50-lose-belly-fat-sitting-down/

Stilllearning Sun 29-Nov-20 11:21:50

Leslie Sansone Walk at home on you tube, really good, I read about her on here at the start of lockdown and it’s really coming into it’s own now the weather is not so great