Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

I'll find it on my phone.

(22 Posts)
Ellylanes1 Tue 16-Aug-22 00:05:14

I've spent so much time trying to find the items I think at the time I'll remember where I put this!
Either can't remember where that place is or remember hours or days later.
Now if I start to think that way, I get my phone, photo said item in situ, and it works!
Anyone else do this?

Rosie51 Tue 16-Aug-22 00:21:40

I've not photographed items in my home, but do take photos of where I've parked in an unfamiliar car park. Has saved my sanity more than once!

Ellylanes1 Tue 16-Aug-22 00:43:03

Ah yes, landmark in photo, good idea, I'll use your idea in a large car park, especially in a multi storey!
Thanks Rosie51

BlueBelle Tue 16-Aug-22 05:54:46

Here’s another tip you ve perhaps all been doing already but
I ve just had a lightbulb moment
I can’t read instructions on packets /tins etc even with a magnifying glass so I take a photo on my phone then I can enlarge it with my fingers to read ?

crazyH Tue 16-Aug-22 06:00:55

What clever tips !

Lucca Tue 16-Aug-22 06:06:28

www.apple.com/uk/airtag/

My son who loses keys wallet etc constantly found this . Looks useful. I have the Find my phone app on my iPad already.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Aug-22 06:35:29

I keep some passwords under contacts on my phone, the ones I don’t use often, it’s mirrored to my iPad so hopefully I’ll have at least one of them.

notnecessarilywiser Tue 16-Aug-22 06:45:06

I take a photo of my gas and electricity meter readings (gas meter easily accessible to my phone, less so to my eyes!) so that I can submit the numbers accurately on line each month.

JackyB Tue 16-Aug-22 08:18:25

I always photograph interesting items in the paper for later reference. The paper gets thrown out the next day at the latest and I don't want to cut bits out until we've both finished reading it and so it gets forgotten if I don't.

I also take a photo of my shopping list just in case, but prefer tonnage the paper version with me so I can cross items off as I go.

FannyCornforth Tue 16-Aug-22 08:23:23

What an interesting thread!
Lucca I’ve been trying to think of alternative uses for those AirTags.
I’m sure that they have lots of interesting applications ?

PollyDolly Tue 16-Aug-22 08:26:30

BlueBelle

Here’s another tip you ve perhaps all been doing already but
I ve just had a lightbulb moment
I can’t read instructions on packets /tins etc even with a magnifying glass so I take a photo on my phone then I can enlarge it with my fingers to read ?

I do this too.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:17:27

Brilliant ideas. Photographing the meter reading is excellent. Also photographing instructions too small to read. As for large car parks - genius.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:19:46

jaxjacky look under settings on your ipad all of your passwords are saved.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:23:16

I think you can attach an Airtag to a dogs collar?

I photograph the water meter as it’s in a dark cupboard and too far away for me to see even with a torch.

I use ‘find my friend’to locate MrOops phone which he often leaves in other peoples houses or in a different car.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:24:35

I photographed the engine of MrOops car when he had to take something apart, he needed it to see how it went back together.

Even though he laughed at me for doing it.

Sallywally1 Fri 16-Sep-22 11:31:35

When we go abroad, which is not very often, I photograph where we are staying and the address, so if lost we can just get a taxi. Also take a pic of where we park the car we usually hire for the holiday.

I also photograph the sent receipts from the post office, rather than hanging on to bits of paper.

Doodledog Fri 16-Sep-22 11:41:39

I take photos of serial numbers on things with guarantees, as they are often difficult to read when in situ, and can be enlarged on a photo if the print is very small.

Doodledog Fri 16-Sep-22 11:42:40

Doodledog

I take photos of serial numbers on things with guarantees, as they are often difficult to read when in situ, and can be enlarged on a photo if the print is very small.

Also, iPhone/iPad users can save them to Notes and they will automatically be viewable on all Apple devices, which can be handy.

toscalily Fri 16-Sep-22 13:51:21

When visiting garden centres/garden/NT properties I always used to write the name down if I saw an interesting plant, now I take a photo which makes it easier to identify when I get home. Also when offspring ask for (family) recipe I just take a photo of the recipe instead of writing it down in an email.

dahlia Fri 30-Sep-22 15:19:06

The idea for using our phones to take us back to where we park the car is brilliant. We went to a NT concert at Lanhydrock years ago, picnic first, plenty of parking. This was in the daylight, of course: by the time the concert ended, we had to wait until most of the audience had driven away before our Volvo was found, shivering in the shadows! smile

ElaineI Fri 30-Sep-22 18:28:43

Goodness these are all very good suggestions ?

Oldnproud Fri 30-Sep-22 18:45:39

When my much-missed dad was terminally ill, he reached the stage where he needed to tell my brother and I where all the important things were, so that we could deal with things on behalf of my mum.
I feared that I would forget, so took photos of all the locations. Thank goodness I did, as no way would I have remembered them all when things reached their heartbreaking conclusion.