Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Disrespect in the workplace

(8 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 01-Feb-23 11:15:13

Interesting and relevant piece in today's Grauniad.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/01/jeremy-hunt-older-people-work-bosses-just-dont-want-us-to#comments

Those of us who have worked a long time often feel that our experience and knowledge is casually dismissed by younger people in management. I've certainly been in the unfortunate position of watching helplessly as an older woman, an office manager of many years experience, was systematically bullied out of her job by younger people. I'm sure many of you have stories to tell.

Grandmabatty Wed 01-Feb-23 11:22:55

It happened to me. I didn't get the head of faculty role and it went to a very young man who wasn't and still isn't up to it. All my ideas were taken by him and passed off as his. Senior management didn't want to know. I retired five years ago and he's still as incompetent and unprofessional as he was when he started. He thinks he's great though yet every Depute Head job he applies for, he doesn't get. His poor faculty will be stuck with him for ever! It's most definitely not sour grapes from me.

LRavenscroft Wed 01-Feb-23 12:53:35

Just before I retired I was in a job with a female boss where her hair appointments, high heeled ankle strap silver sandals and nails were more important than running the office. She would leave letters unsigned for weeks so they had to be re-done and she had a gaggle of silly women who hung on her every word. One day she had bad news and the whole secretarial department took her out for lunch. She was sacked after six months by which time I was long gone. Shame really as I did enjoy the job, just could not stand working with her. She replaced a female narcissist who used to have explosive rows with everyone. I sometimes wonder who employs these people.

diygran Wed 01-Feb-23 13:06:08

My ex-SIL is a narcissist and bully at work. He shouts at his staff and believes he gets away with it by buying them all cakes on a Friday!
We are betting on how long he will last in post since bullying is not tolerated these days.

Drina01 Wed 17-Jan-24 11:40:49

Just noticed this thread so late to the table. !
After a great career I was forced out of my beloved job last year fuelled by a girl who came back from maternity leave. We were only a Team of 4 plus Authors however 2 of those piled in (one who bothered me day and night with work and one who was promoted to Lead who I truly believe had never seriously been trained in working with evidence, and had been instrumental in getting rid of those who did). The girl in question is not qualified for my role and has had to go on training to actually work with the big international databases which has taken me all my career to master search strategies within them. However overnight my manager seemed to have taken a surprising vengeance towards me once she was back. I was never privy to ‘their’ team meetings so no idea what was going on within them. I was in at the beginning of evidence based medicine, won accolades in my career, and known throughout that ‘information world’ as being at the top of my tree constantly updating my qualifications and practices. It has been devastating to finish my career like that. What’s worse is I knew the ‘company’ wasn’t working to the expected standards but foolishly kept quiet hoping I would influence them to do the right thing. I can see online the medical topics haven’t been searched properly but powerless to do anything. I did ask via my right to see correspondence via Teams and mail etc. it made for sobering reading - ageist, very vindictive, untruthful and setting me up to fail without telling me what was going on. I haven’t worked since as lost my confidence but put all my energies into grandchildren. ACAS were shocked but at the end of the day no one wants to put themselves through agony.
I think jealousy may fuel incompetencies. Though there’s never been a jealous bone in my body so this is alien to me. It has affected me though terribly.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Jan-24 11:55:08

How do you ‘just notice’ a thread which is a year old?

Drina01 Wed 17-Jan-24 14:26:30

I sometimes look back to see what I may have missed… and must have missed that one. My experience does come back to haunt me sometimes as quite traumatic.

mummytummy Sun 28-Jan-24 00:47:39

Same here Drina01

Only come across this thread as I purposely went looking for “ageism” as I’m going through it at work at the moment and at 61 I don’t feel that’s old 😂