Gransnet forums

Food

How to cook belly pork slices.

(28 Posts)
shysal Sat 28-May-11 11:46:52

On impulse I have bought some belly pork slices because I used to love them as a child. I want them to be tender but with crisp skin, and not too fatty. I thought I would marinate then roast in the oven, firstly at a high temperature then turning down. Would this achieve the result I want?
Joining gransnet diet on Monday- bad timing or what!

twizzle Sat 28-May-11 11:48:42

Belly pork and dieting ...... not a good combination. smile

jangly Sat 28-May-11 13:22:39

I had belly pork in a pub recently and they were just roasted in the usual way - no marinating or anything. Delicious, but a guilty pleasure!

shysal Sun 29-May-11 19:13:11

Just finished eating my belly pork. I roasted the slices without marinade and they came out exactly as I wanted. Added goose fat roasted potatoes with a rich gravy and veg as a final treat before starting the diet tomorrow! Feeling rather full!

Poppygran Tue 31-May-11 19:19:33

I don't marinade belly pork. Just roast them in the usual way covered with tin foil and it will be delicious.

bikergran Mon 05-Sep-11 21:11:08

oh yummy....when we are having a BBQ I cut the belly pork up in pices part cook it to get rid of some fat n juices then put jar of asda BBQ SAUCE (apparently voted best sauce I add bit of soya sauce and bit of syrup...then roast in over,.until sticky.........mmmmmmmm

susiecb Tue 06-Sep-11 09:22:56

You take the belly port out of the butchers wrapper and place them carefully in the bin and just have a lard sandwich!smile

shysal Tue 06-Sep-11 11:03:41

susiecb Hee Hee!grin grin

Joan Tue 06-Sep-11 11:08:59

Up to date food science tells us that fat is not bad for us. In fact we need it. What makes us fat and unhealthy is too much carbohydrate and sugar.

I could just crunch on some yummy belly pork!

absentgrana Tue 06-Sep-11 11:18:41

Too much fat makes people fat as well – and too much saturated fat does horrible things to the cardio-vascular system. Some, but not a lot of fat in the diet is necessary, not least because some essential vitamins are fat-soluble.

susiecb Tue 06-Sep-11 11:36:13

Fat tastes HORRIBLE thats my point.

absentgrana Tue 06-Sep-11 11:38:17

"Neat" fat may taste horrible – chacun a son goût – but it is the fat inside food that gives it most of its flavour.

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 11:41:08

I like my belly pork done slowly with caramelised onions cooked with it. So that is all melty. if you don't like fat, this is definitely not the thread for you. Chefs will tell you that the fat is what gives the meat a bit of taste. I tried ostrich once (i think it was ostrich) and it was very lean and very tasteless.
My husband would love your crispy method... its ok for him as he has a lot more teeth to chew with than I do!

susiecb Tue 06-Sep-11 11:42:12

Yuk yuk yuk - not for me I like my meat such as it is lean and use lots of herbs and spices but as you say 'each to his own'. My mother used to give us belly pork slices as a child and I hated them then and I do resent the astronomical prices charged for belly pork in restaurants these days its supposed to be a cheap cut. Enjoy your dinners ladies and dont listen to a word I saysmile

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 11:50:25

Oh, I'm getting some for tonight. And some BBQ sauce. Were gonna have lamb chops. Prob not much fat difference (says she trying to convince herself. Oh well, I don't care anyway). smile

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 11:51:16

If you eat loads of brocolli with them and follow up with blueberries, that's bound to cancel out the bad.

Sorted! smile

fatfairy Tue 06-Sep-11 11:54:21

Love slow roasted belly pork!!! and shall be trying my new recipe since it's now winter again already.
Recipe is from Leith's Meat Bible, which I bought the other day having been recommended by the lady in the butcher shop (£40rrp, £15+ from Amazon), and having spotted this recipe:

1.35kg boned belly pork, score skin, scald and dry off, rub with oil and salt.
Put onion, carrot and celery in roasting pan, with pork on top (skin side up). Pour in stock, glass of white wine and a splash of Marsala, herbs, bay leaf and cloves, and season. Roast at 230c for 15-20 mins to crisp the crackling, then at 140c for 2.5 hours (cover with foil if necessary).

Lord, I am drooling!
And I like cold roast meats in a sandwich for lunch the next day (especially if warmed through for 30 secs in the microwave). Yummy!

Thing with ostrich - in fact any game really - you must marinade it first. Oil and some acidic stuff eg wine, nice vinegar (not balsamic or malt), lemon juice etc. Ostrich is really nice, but I agree, not as flavoursome as, say, a nice piece of well-aged beef.

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 15:50:02

Might try that sometime fatfairy
susieb we are not making you read this thread! There seems to be a tendency some with people who find something disgusting to keep focussing on it so they can keep saying YUK! (I do know people who do that, but maybe its just the rest of the board is quiet - despite the spectacularly wet weather?) Please feel free to start a steamed cabbage thread and we promise not to call round smile

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 16:17:46

jess! susie has made some very valid comments. And may she continue to do so.

Especially about how much they charge for 'em in pubs!

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 16:19:08

The weather is actually lovely.

If you go out in it with a serviceable mac. Its not cold. The wind is very freshening. [halo emoticon]

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 16:38:10

I put a smiley!
My ILs do that thing to varying degrees, oh yuk, let me look again, that's gross! , just checking... yes it really is making me feel sick... smile quirky.

Trouble is they are not usually nicely cooked in pubs are they...
I generally prefer the stuff i make at home unless restaurant if special.

But today i just ate biscuits someone gave me, instead of lunch...
I never buy them myself unless expecting visitors. And then only shortbread on the basis they have healthy fat and not trans fat.

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 16:43:24

Yeah.

Right on the end.

hmm grin

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 16:44:00

I've had delicious ones in pubs!

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 16:44:53

Just biscuits!! For lunch. hmm

Anne58 Tue 06-Sep-11 18:53:36

susiecb "Fat tastes horrible" ? I disagree re some fat! That lovely crispy bit on the edge of a sirloin steak, or the deeelicious bit on a lamb chop! Yum!