Gransnet forums

Food

What are you eating for lunch?

(53 Posts)
baggythecrust! Fri 17-Jun-11 12:50:44

Dried dates and cream cheese in a sandwich made with home-made bread (added ingredients: extra wheatgerm, home-grown egg, the end of a pot of creme fraiche, some cress, poppy seeds) and unsalted butter. Was going to put some young sorrel leaves from the garden in the sandwich too but it's pouring down and I have to cycle to school later so don't want to get wet twice today. My drink is hot water. What are other people having?

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 16:24:51

Yum, Annobel, that's some of my favourite food, except we have the salmon and (ahem, full-fat) cream cheese plus chopped parsley inside a baguette and we call them salmon submarines.

Hattie64 Wed 22-Jun-11 20:12:36

I always enjoy a good substantial breakfast, so lunch doesn't interest me at all. Usually have a cup of tea and a banana. We do have our evening meal quite early though, 5p.m. so by then I am starving.

crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 20:42:28

I've been addicted to Philly for a while now. Trying not to eat bread, and it goes well on a rice cake. Don't eat breakfast so often have Redy Brek for lunch when I get home from work. I went of porridge but realised that Redy Brek slipped down quite nicely and is very filling.

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 21:51:27

Gosh, crimson, how do you manage the morning with no breakfast? I'm a two-breakfast person (like hobbits). Neither of them are very big.

crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 22:01:28

Never been able to stomach breakfast, baggy. Have started taking a banana to work, though, as I find myself flagging by about 11.

harrigran Wed 22-Jun-11 23:28:04

My goodness, how do you manage without breakfast, your blood sugar must be through the floor by lunchtime.

GoldenGran Thu 23-Jun-11 11:47:16

Nice to find another two breakfast person, I do lunch and dinner too. Have turned into a little but often eater and it seems to suit me.

jangly Thu 23-Jun-11 14:09:59

Cheese and tomato sandwiches for me to-day. I live a very simple life. grin There will be bread and jam to follow. Bliss.

artygran Thu 23-Jun-11 14:39:23

Home made mushroom soup with a crab pate sandwich!

baggythecrust! Thu 23-Jun-11 16:59:59

goldengran, my mum was very strict about three meals a day and I can remember feeling ill with hunger in my teens waiting for tea. Eventually we were allowed to help ourselves to bread and jam (or peanut butter in my brother's case) when we came in from school. I used to drink milk very cold straight out of the fridge (well, in a cup!) and she screeched about that being bad for me too. It wasn't. Once I was in control of my own meals my rule was to eat when I was hungry. I still do that (approximately six times a day) and I've never been overweight. Can't do big dinners. All my wee feasts are one course.

GoldenGran Thu 23-Jun-11 17:08:16

It's really nice being a grown up, baggythecrust,and choosing how to live your life. Amazing the the influence of our mothers lingers for so long. My mother has been dead for 4 years, and I loved her,but she was a very strong and dominating presence, it's only in the last couple of years I have firmly put her back in her box after feeling her disapproval over my shoulder! And incidently I have always been overweight as an adult, but it is also only in the last couple of years I have felt it is up to me, and I have been able to control it.

jangly Thu 23-Jun-11 18:36:24

baggy, "its a poor stomach that can't warm its own food" (or cold milk)! grin

baggythecrust! Thu 23-Jun-11 20:38:16

Exactly, jangly! And my stomach is just fine. I drank almost nothing but cold milk until I went to uni. Oddly, only one of my kids has ever drunk milk since they were weaned. Perhaps the other two took after their great grandfather who wouldn't touch the stuff. Because he was a miner who didn't drink beer, he got through about eight pints of strong black tea every day!

baggythecrust! Fri 24-Jun-11 13:20:09

Warm crusty bread containing ground hemp seeds of yesteryear, cheese, dried cranberries, wine. wine Unbeatable.

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 24-Jun-11 13:35:05

I am having a 'Tropical' flavour Herbalife shake with pineapple,a banana and a lemon yogurt + ice cubes ...all szooshed up in the liquidiser.
I find bread at lunch time makes me tired (except homemade bread...and I haven't made any this week as I have been too busy)
Love the sound of some of your sandwiches.

jangly Fri 24-Jun-11 13:51:24

baggy, do you use a breadmaker, and do you use recipes? Or do you just add anything that happens to be going?
I've got a really good breadmaker and it just sits there doing nothing most of the time. blush. I bought a loaf from the bakers today, which was a bit daft when I have got perfectly good bread flour in the cupboard (going swiftly out of date). (sigh)

yogagran Fri 24-Jun-11 23:15:42

jangly I'm just the same as you with my breadmaker, I don't use it enough but when I do it's very successful. Part of the problem is that it takes just over three hours to make a loaf and I'm not usually that organised to get it done! Yes, I know, I should put it in overnight on the timer and then it'll be ready for breakfast!

baggythecrust! Sat 25-Jun-11 07:34:07

Hi jangly. I use a breadmaker that my husband bought as a birthday present ten years ago. Best present he ever gave me, he says wink. At first I followed a couple of the basic recipes for wholemeal and half-wholemeal bread and then I started making small adjustments. So bit by bit I arrived at my current basic recipe, which is this:
One cup white bread flour
Two cups wholemeal bread flour
One teaspoon quick acting dried yeast
One teaspoon salt
One rounded tablespoon sugar
Half a rounded tablespoon (HART) ground hemp and linseed (proportions about one tenth hemp and the rest is linseed)
HART wheatgerm
A large sprinkle of poppy seeds
A largish dollop of lard (you can use other fats if preferred)
One egg in a measuring jug, topped up to 400ml with water and beaten together. (I sometimes put end bits of yogurt in here too, or cream, before topping up the water)

I think I'm using more liquid than the recipes suggest and I take the bread out about fifteen minutes before it's "officially" ready so that the crust isn't too hard. Several of my friends have bought the same machine as I have after eating some of my bread.

Have fun with your bread-making!

jangly Sat 25-Jun-11 09:23:59

Thankyou Baggy. That sounds really nice, and healthy as well. Will give that a try as soon as I can get the ground hemp, linseed and wheatgerm. Do you get these from health food shops or supermarkets? (I've got poppy seeds - never used them yet. Why am I so lazy!?) Perhaps now I've got a good recipe it will spur me on.
Thanks again. smile

baggythecrust! Sat 25-Jun-11 12:51:37

You're welcome, jangly. for a while I was also putting in a 'HART' of ground almonds for the calcium because DD3, who doesn't drink milk or eat yogurt, stopped eating cheese too! However, she went back to cheese-eating so when I'd used up my stock of ground almonds, I stopped adding them.

nanapug Sat 25-Jun-11 13:10:01

Mmmmmm, Hummus and tomatoes with oat cakes. Am addicted to it. May have a square or two of dark chocolate with a coffee after, just for a treat. After all dark chocolate is supposed to be good for us!! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, and I have done lots of housework this morning.....

baggythecrust! Sat 25-Jun-11 13:32:25

jangly, my local co-op sells hemp seed and linseed. I buy them whole (they keep better that way, with their natural coats on wink) and grind them in a coffee grinder till I've got a jarful.

jangly Sun 26-Jun-11 20:13:32

Oh, I've got a co-op close by so will look in there. Thanks baggie.

baggythecrust! Fri 01-Jul-11 12:14:54

Have just been outside for a bit yanking up bracken and chopping down docks that were as tall as me. Have added a whole new set of midge bites to my collection in the process. I also found a hen nest, removed the seven eggs and put two ceramic ones in it. I'll do a bit more after lunch which today will be beans on toast, leftover beans from yesterday to which I added onions, turmeric, ground coriander seed and ground cumin. I think it might be omelette for dinner.

jangly Fri 01-Jul-11 14:36:56

baggy - you're living the dream aren't you! envy

I made an interesting loaf this morning (in breadmaker). I looked in the cupboard and found stuff that needed using up, and put it all in. It is basically a rapid white loaf and the stuff was chopped walnuts, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds and sultanas. And a little extra sugar. Not sure if its a loaf or a cake really, but it smells delish. Of course, it wasn't cool enough to actually eat for lunch but we will have "tea" at four!