Gransnet forums

Food

Breadmaker

(58 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 05:18:27

Do you have one and is it well used? I've been toying with getting one for a while and decided I shall get the Panasonic bread maker from Lakeland this week. I am sure it will get well used.

ellajones Wed 09-Sep-20 04:54:05

Read this review article on the best bread machines for beginners is written based on the best rate and cheap price bread maker machines. You can get to know the insights of almost every bread maker machine by our exclusive research base amazon review articles. But we always emphasize getting the best product considering your budget. Look for good quality and right featured products.

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 14:56:41

Seriously thinking of getting one. I make bread every two or three days but a friend says they're less messy and the bread's just as good. Supermarket bread has too much salt in it and also nearly always milk as well and I often have visiting vegans, so making my own has always been useful and cheaper. Also I can add stuff like sesame or poppyseed. I do a lovely cashew and date wholemeal loaf and all.
It's certainly true that all that kneading is getting more tiring with every passing year and flour gets all over the kitchen table.
I don't think it would end up unused as I make bread often anyway. There is a good bakery about twenty minutes walk away but they charge £6 for an 'Artisan' sourdough loaf and it's not very big either! Not that I make sourdough bread anyway. Anyone notice that 'Artisan' just means a working-class job done by someone who went to Eton and charges a fortune?
I was originally put off breadmaker bread after going round a friends, seeing the hole left by the dough hook and thinking it had been eaten by mice!
I've looked at the Panasonic ones but phew! Not cheap.
Apparently Lidl have one in once a year that's meant to be good. Anyone used one of those? I don't want to spend a fortune.

JonathanMetcalf Wed 01-May-19 07:04:02

I am so late over here but it's ok.
As we all know that and it is true that we use bread on a regular basis and one should have a breadmaker.
I don't know when I am going to have it. I simply use to purchase it from the outside.

jack2206 Wed 24-Apr-19 04:28:45

I use the Hamilton Beach programmable bread maker. It is easy to operate and allows to make not only bread, but also pizza dough, cakes, jams, flatbreads and croissants. Check it out here: www.cfone.net/5-best-bread-machines.html

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:38:43

I have one. Bought from eBay seller, second-hand.
Used but not often. Prefer to actually hand mix it night before. Leave to rise overnight and bake in oven next day.

VigneshBK Wed 27-Mar-19 10:00:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JustALaugh Wed 20-Jun-18 21:33:17

Menopaws....

bread maker
toasted sandwich maker
ice cream maker
coffee thingy
egg poacher
foot spa
electric organ
chocolate fountain

All of those things went to the charity shop.

Polly99 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:05:00

I love my Panasonic. I use it twice a week and it makes a lovely loaf. Rarely buy bread now and regret it if I do.

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Jun-18 19:13:07

I love my bread maker. Gets a lot of use. Panasonic.

autumnsun Tue 19-Jun-18 20:20:53

Franbern I have just bought your bread machine! I don't suppose you have any instructions for it do you? as I haven't got a clue what to do with it!

Nanabilly Wed 13-Jun-18 18:29:50

That's how I want to be parsley . Just eat my home baked bread. Yum.
I am sick and tired of buying loaves from supermarket bakeries , never the pre sliced bread that is like polystyrene and they fall apart when slicing or have a lump of cough at the bottom of a huge hole somewhere that makes a funny bit of toast or sandwich.
We are currently favouring morrison s bakery and are quite enjoying the bakery made loaf with spelt in it though I would much prefer to make my own . We do have an artisan bakery in a small local..ish town but at nearly £4 for a medium sized loaf I resent paying it.

Parsley3 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:30:38

I also have a Panasonic and have used it regularly for 9 years now. I keep all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and it takes no time at all to measure them out and get a loaf going. I rarely eat shop bought bread now.

dionar Wed 13-Jun-18 15:13:45

I also have a Panasonic. It's a great breadmaker though I rarely use it now.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:31:16

I have one, the bread I used to make in it was lovely (but yes, it can pile on the pounds!)
However, I now eat gf bread and find that comes out of the breadmaker like a brick so the machine is sitting in the utility room unloved and unused at the moment.

Fennel Tue 12-Jun-18 19:10:45

Franbern - "but I did use my large Kenwood mixer, the rest by hand." With a dough hook.
That's what I do now (or will do when I get my own kitchen back after a housemove.)

Franbern Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:07

Just have put my Lakeland breadmaker up for sale on Gumtree. Like the idea, but not really useful. I live by myself, have local excellent bakeries, and with an on-going battle with my weight do not want to encourage myself to eat more bread laden with butter.
Many years ago, when had a large family, I used to make a lot of my own bread, no bread making machine, but I did use my large Kenwood mixer, the rest by hand.

Pittcity Tue 12-Jun-18 17:02:38

I use mine on the "dough" setting, which does the hard work. Then I shape it into rolls or batons and pop in the oven. Think I'd need 2 lots to make a large loaf or full sized baguette. Only rarely cook in the machine as the square loaf is not appealing to the eye....but tastes delish.

Tweedle24 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:59:43

Nannabilly, I follow the directions given for the Kenwood and check the elasticity and smoothness and do more if necessary, I do use the dough hook. I have arthritis in my hands so cannot hand knead for long.
I am finding that shop bought bread, even the freshly baked ones, do not taste too good. The wholemeal tastes too sweet and the white too salty.
I was directed towards Ocado’s own wholemeal which seems to suit best if the bought loaves.

Ziggy62 Tue 12-Jun-18 10:27:16

love mine. I thought I was gluten intolerant as felt so ill and bloated after eating bread. friend and I were talking about how shop bread doesn't taste the same as it did when we were young plus it can last for weeks!!!!!

Decided to make my own additive free bread and have never felt better. Make a loaf every other day as there are only 2 of us here.

It is hard not to eat lots of it though, as the smell when it's cooking is so tempting

Nanabilly Tue 12-Jun-18 09:08:27

I do have a Kenwood chef and have used it in the past for mixing and kneading but always did even more kneading to get the elasticity dough needs. Do you just use the dough hook and machine alone , how long do you machine knead it for tweedle ?

Tweedle24 Tue 12-Jun-18 08:34:54

I had one but found the limitations of only one shape of loaf and having to take the fiddly paddle out too much. I used it for years but only for mixing/kneading the dough and then proving and baking as normal.
When it died, I bought a long desired Kenwood Chef and use the dough hook on that to mix and knead. I have much more flexibility in quantities and recipes.

Nanabilly Tue 12-Jun-18 08:18:59

Flipping predictive text I did type breadmaker honest but it changed it to breakfast , which I must go and eat now as tummy is rumbling

Nanabilly Tue 12-Jun-18 08:17:45

I've been looking at getting a breakfast for a couple of years now but I've always enjoyed the hands on method of breaking but arthritis is stopping me doing it well now. So....I know Panasonic are best brand to go for but what about the features on newer models, what are the features and are they just gimmicky or really good features?
Does anyone on Gn have one they don't use and would like to sell on ? Panasonic of course!

Pittcity Tue 12-Jun-18 08:09:17

We weren't sure if we would use one often enough to splash out, so bought one for a tenner in Cash Converters. It's not the latest model but it does the job and is used at least once a week. Lovely fresh bread. The small loaves are gone in a flash.

Versavisa Tue 12-Jun-18 07:46:00

I’m still on my first breadmaker, a Panasonic. I’ve used it a lot in the last 20 years and it still works as good as ever. I didn’t know anyone else with one when I bought mine. I see newer models have all sorts of refinements, which I’d like, but as long as this one keeps on churning the loaves out I’ll stick with it. Favourite is the 3-hour 100% wholemeal loaf. And yes, I blame all my weight problems on it!