Gransnet forums

Food

Breadmaker

(57 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 05:18:27

Do you have one and is it well used? I've been toying with getting one for a while and decided I shall get the Panasonic bread maker from Lakeland this week. I am sure it will get well used.

Willow500 Sun 12-Nov-17 06:56:22

Yes have one no don't use it - it's been sat in the garage for the last 4 years. We bought it when my husband was living abroad and couldn't speak the language to buy bread. He'd buy the ingredients over here on visits home as he thought making his own was a good idea - he'd set it going before bed but it would then wake him up as it started kneading and 'walking' across the kitchen worktop grin. The bread is lovely but that's the problem - it's too moreish covered in lots of butter hot from the tin. I'm sure you'll love it! Now you've set me off - I might go and dig it out and give it an airing smile

Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 07:04:34

Lol willow....

kittylester Sun 12-Nov-17 07:57:47

I'm on my second one. I didn't use the first so gave it DD2. I have since bought another one which I also don't use and which I can't palm off on any of my other daughters.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Nov-17 08:02:44

I bought one at a charity shop and do love it. So why has it been sitting neglected in the cellar for the last few months? I might just dust it down this week.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Nov-17 08:03:19

Mine was also a Panasonic and I used it constantly in the early days. But the area that I live in now is well serviced with 3 excellent bakers shops, all doing speciality breads if I want them. Bread maker has been in the cupboard under the stairs for 2 years now and I haven't been able to palm it off on to anyone. Shame really.

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Nov-17 08:09:09

I had one 20 years ago and liked it . However the loaf size was no where big enough for the family then on a daily basis and it died a death . If I lived alone I might be tempted again just for the fun of it .

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 08:53:19

I had forgotten, a few weeks ago I was going to buy one.

MawBroon Sun 12-Nov-17 08:58:13

When paw was working away from home, coming back on Friday night I used to pop a loaf in on the timer to wake us up with its wonderful smell on Saturday morning! Warm fresh bread and marmalade for breakfast, mmmm!
Piled on the lbs though.
And mine’s a Panasonic too,

Menopaws Sun 12-Nov-17 08:59:43

I like the idea but with a small kitchen I don't want to either have it on the top or in a cupboard so it would go in the garage with the food processor and never be seen again, if I had a big kitchen I would get one. The coffee machine and nutribullet are allowed to stay on the worktop cos they get used a lot

Elegran Sun 12-Nov-17 09:05:54

Half these posts (slight exaggeration) are from people who are wondering whether to buy a breadmaker and the other half about how theirs is sitting unused. What is really needed is not a breadmaker but a matchmaker to pair up people who don't have a breadmaker but would like one and people who have one but don't use it any more.

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 09:08:20

I just forgot I was going to buy one and had chosen the one I was going to buy

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Nov-17 09:09:57

Mine is Panasonic. Sadly I don't get round to using it!

Menopaws Sun 12-Nov-17 09:15:08

What other 'useful' items get given a permanent place in your garage/loft?
Foot spa?
Knitting machine?
Sewing machine?
Smoothie maker?
Toastie maker?!!

midgey Sun 12-Nov-17 09:21:40

When it goes right the bread is amazing, but experimenting produces a lot of bricks! If you live near a bakery don’t even think about it!

Fennel Sun 12-Nov-17 09:28:15

I think there was another thread recently about breadmakers.
As I said then, I prefer a robot with a dough hook, for the heavy work. I do the rest manually. I make 3 loaves at a time -(1 kilo of flour.)
How long does a breadmaker take from start to finish?

Chewbacca Sun 12-Nov-17 09:43:35

Menopaws items that I "couldn't live without but now residential in the cupboard under the stairs:
Foot spa check
Bread maker check
Pannini maker check
Frothy coffee maker check

blush

Fennel my ancient breadmaking took about 5 hours from start to finish but I expect that's been improved on now, with a more modern machine.

hildajenniJ Sun 12-Nov-17 10:40:01

Our coffee maker has been consigned to the utility room cupboard since DH no longer drinks coffee!
My bread maker is used regularly. I have a Beaumark make, unfortunately the bread pan has sprung a leak. It has a slow drip. I cannot find a replacement bread pan anywhere so I'm thinking of buying a new machine. The DGC love my coconut sugar buns. I couldn't make them by hand any more as I find kneading difficult these days.

Fennel Sun 12-Nov-17 11:57:58

Thans Chewbacca - I've had a search on Google and nowadays it's 3-4 hours. Which is similar to the time it takes me to make 3 loaves.
Apart from the cost of the robot, my method has the additional cost of the gas/ cooker baking. 20-30 minutes.

10tedsrobinson11 Sun 12-Nov-17 12:01:12

Both myself and daughter have Panasonic breadmakers picked up very reasonably on car boots my daughter has 3 children and uses hers every day I use mine at least once a week.

merlotgran Sun 12-Nov-17 12:19:30

I bought my first one, a Panasonic, twelve years ago when DD1 and her boys moved back from Northern Ireland following the break up of her marriage.

I also piled on the weight because home baked bread was so addictive and in those days I could tolerate gluten.

I now have a Morphy Richards breadmaker with a gluten free programme which is not as high spec as a Panasonic but is perfectly adequate as I prefer to make the dough then bake it in the oven instead of leaving it in the breadmaker to bake.

Parsleywin Sun 12-Nov-17 12:25:01

Thumbs up for the Panasonic. I've got a French loaf cooling at the mo, ready for lunch when my 16:8 permits!

I tend to go through phases of using mine but it's my second one and I'd hate to be without it.

SueDonim Sun 12-Nov-17 14:10:07

I've had a Panasonic breadmaker for a few years now. It's had a lot of use! Before that, I had a Morphy Richards but it cooked unevenly and burnt on one side so I got rid of it.

If you use the quick programme on the Panasonic it produces a loaf in two hours. I have problems with my hands and wrists so the traditional method of kneading is out for me.

Shirleyw Sun 12-Nov-17 14:47:21

Thanks guys, some interesting replies......mines a time issue, it would be soooo handy to have it making bread over night ready for the day...

Suki70 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:48:59

We're on our second breadmaker - a Panasonic. For years DH has been making bread every other day. It takes 5 minutes for him to put in the ingredients and two hours to cook a small loaf. We've also made olive bread, sundried tomato bread and fruit bread. There are no additives or preservatives, just the ingredients we want and we can control the salt. It can also make jam although we've never tried that, DH prefers to make jam and marmalade on the hob.
We have an excellent bakery nearby but it's so expensive in comparison to homemade. The only bread we buy now is a walnut cob from a well known supermarket beginning with S and baguettes.