Gransnet forums

Food

Im new to Lidl and Aldi at Christmas .

(141 Posts)
gmelon Tue 06-Nov-18 21:29:56

I wonder if you will share your tastiest and favourite buys from Christmas at Lidl and Aldi.

I've never lived near one.
This year they've built a massive Aldi and I'm near a Lidl too.

I'm aware there was a bit of a thread going a while ago with some content but this one is completely dedicated to the lovely tasty subject.

Chewbacca Tue 06-Nov-18 21:41:19

Gammon joint, in a foil tray, ready to shove in the oven. Comes studded with juniper berries and the honey and orange glaze, in a pouch, that you pour over the joint 15 minutes before end of cooking time. Last year it was far £4.00. Buy 2. One will get eaten by everyone else before you've even left the kitchen.

Grannyknot Tue 06-Nov-18 21:57:26

Chewbacca that sounds good. is the gammon from Lidl or Aldi, please?

For several years now I've bought ready made parfait type single serving desserts in a disposable container from Lidl. The family love them and they look good when served, because they are various flavours and therefore colourful.

Chewbacca Tue 06-Nov-18 21:59:50

Aldi Grannyknot. Don't know why but I've never got on with Lidl. But Aldi is my 2nd home! grin

Grannyknot Tue 06-Nov-18 22:06:36

Thank you!

This thread did remind me of one year when people "raved" about Lidl's whole lobsters. I bought them and they were tasteless and awful, ended up in the bin.

MiniMoon Tue 06-Nov-18 22:07:34

We had a three bird roast from Aldi a couple of years ago. It was just a small one that we had on Christmas eve. It was very good though.
Our Aldi is closed a for three weeks for a refit and extension. I miss it, as we buy quite a bit from them.

MissAdventure Tue 06-Nov-18 22:33:08

Aldis have some lovely biscuits and crackers for cheese (or on their own)
Black pepper and rosemary flavour; all rich and crumbly.

Nandalot Tue 06-Nov-18 22:53:38

For the last couple of years, we have had the Aldi fruit cake which I have then marzipaned and iced. It is quite small, so no chance of over-indulging, but absolutely delicious.

lilypollen Tue 06-Nov-18 22:58:01

Both stores have very good smoked salmon. Good selection of quality cheese cheaper than the usual suspects. Both have 4 or 5 weekly offers around 49p on fresh fruit/veg. Kettle chips and dips are also cheaper. Once you get used to the stores you'll know what you want to buy from there. Just be aware that they have their own branding so you'll see very few famous names.

Lilypops Tue 06-Nov-18 23:00:03

Lidl Christmas pudding is the best ever, lots of lovely fruit and some nuts walnuts I think ,

gmelon Wed 07-Nov-18 00:06:27

Lots of mouthwatering suggestions already. I'm going to write them down. smile

Pittcity Wed 07-Nov-18 08:06:03

I love those crackers Missadventure, especially the pepper ones.

Pittcity Wed 07-Nov-18 08:06:51

Beware the tempting looking frozen desserts....big box, small content....

Marydoll Wed 07-Nov-18 08:18:26

I buy all my baking ingredients from Lidl and they are of a high quality. As I bake a lot, I save a substantial amount.
My son won't shop in LIDL, turns his nose up! However recently he commented to my DIL that the icing on my baking was nicer than hers. "It comes from LIDL", said I. That put his gas at a peep. grin.
I also buy items like pitta bread and wraps, as they have a long sell by date, good to keep if you need to rustle up something quickly. .

Brunette10 Wed 07-Nov-18 08:29:25

Nandalot - we too buy their iced fruit bar at this time of year, think it's delicious. Also like the Mini Christmas Mincemeat pies but they don't always have them, when they do I stock up. Yummy!

EllanVannin Wed 07-Nov-18 08:30:19

Why have I always been wary of these shops ? I doubt that I've been in either above twice------and it wasn't for food.

Brunette10 Wed 07-Nov-18 08:30:47

Gammon joint, in a foil tray, ready to shove in the oven. My DD has tried this and recommended it, however my store does not appear to stock it or at least when I looked they didn't have it. Will keep looking though.

Granny23 Wed 07-Nov-18 08:31:24

Aldi's Marzipan Stollen bites are wonderful. I bought 2 packs to put by for Christmas but have eaten them all and the next 2 packs went the same way. I'd need a safe to keep them safe.

JackyB Wed 07-Nov-18 08:43:12

Here in Germany (where both Aldi and Lidl come from), people stopped turning up their noses at them many years ago. *

I am jealous of some of the Christmas delicacies described in this thread, as both chains - particularly Lidl - have a policy of sourcing products locally, so out here in Central Europe I don't think I'll find a Christmas cake or a Christmas pudding. Gammon is unheard of here, too.

*Although, when I first arrived here in the 70s, this was the case, but even then, the mother of the family I was au-pairing for recommended that I bought a few standard items at Aldi as it was definitely cheaper.

KatyK Wed 07-Nov-18 09:15:27

I agree re the smoked salmon. I love Aldi's. Also their ground coffee is lovely and very cheap and I'm quite fussy with coffee.

glammanana Wed 07-Nov-18 09:36:58

gmelon You will be spoilt for choice once you find your way around your new store.
I have always been a lover of the meat offered at Aldi,today I am off to get my turkey crown/gammon/lamb for xmas,I will also stock up on party food which are delicious.
The cheeses are really good and the cold meat selection second to none.
p.s After all your cooking the cleaning section will save you loads of £s their WS cleaning sprays are fab and work better than most.

Greyduster Wed 07-Nov-18 09:40:16

I’ve always found Lidl’s smoked salmon better than Aldi’s. Aldi have lovely boxes of Florentines. I buy them as a “stocking filler” for my DS and DiL. And for me! And their Moser Roth chocolates are good.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Nov-18 09:44:33

Cheeses are excellent, as is the smoke salmon in Aldi. Aldi also have individual dauphinois potato in the freezer section, so easy and tasty!!!

Aldi organic prosecco is good, as are the majority of wines and Spirits.

Aldis "best of both" loaf which I think is 49p is far better than the well known brands, and half the price.

ninathenana Wed 07-Nov-18 09:57:21

I don't know if it will be back this year, sadly not available '17 but DH and I love Aldi Genoa cake. I buy this rather than Christmas cake as I don't like marzipan.
We have had some tasty Christmas puds from there too.

Newatthis Wed 07-Nov-18 09:57:31

Aldi's white chocolate cookies are addictive and so luscious. They are reasonably price (as with all Aldi products) and look very expensive on a plate!